what heads?

"More Boost"

Major Member
i'm considering new heads and dont have a clue....LOL. i see alot of guys running stock ported heads, but what would you guys recommend as far as an aluminum head right out of the box? i'm lazy and would just like to purchase a decent set that flow decent right out of the box. any suggestions are welcome. i realize there are alot of factors in deciding on heads, but i plan to build the motor around the heads. sorta, :confused:

i'm considering new heads and dont have a clue....LOL. i see alot of guys running stock ported heads, but what would you guys recommend as far as an aluminum head right out of the box? i'm lazy and would just like to purchase a decent set that flow decent right out of the box. any suggestions are welcome. i realize there are alot of factors in deciding on heads, but i plan to build the motor around the heads. sorta, :confused:

Dude, I hope no one gets us mixed up....

what are your goals?

Aluminum heads are not cheap, do you have a budget in mind for your build?
that helps us to give you advice....

The TA heads are very very nice too! Do alot of research and ask alot of questions before you invest in aluminum heads! Good luck!

i just want to build a hot (somewhat street friendly) driver, would the champion heads be overkill on a street motor? i'm running a te-44 turbo 3" downpipe, stock 3:42 rear. and More Boost! i appologize, i didnt know u had that name when i picked mine or i wouldn't have. my original name was "get blown" but an admin. thought that could be misconstrued (?) had me change it to something else, i suppose i could change it again? LOL

Don't sweat the name... no big deal.

Good luck with the head selection, if aluminum champions are in the budget it would give you a great start in the future when you outgrow the te-44
and you will out grow it...lol

Im going w/ a full race port from frankg. 850$

Do not pay one red cent for the heads unless, you are provided with a flowsheet before the work and one after. Don't just worry about how much flow, but be concerned that the flows are balanced. Don't ask me how I know, it hurts just to type this :frown:

Do not pay one red cent for the heads unless, you are provided with a flowsheet before the work and one after. Don't just worry about how much flow, but be concerned that the flows are balanced. Don't ask me how I know, it hurts just to type this :frown:

Gotta agree with this. I don't know about that guys work but anybody can port heads to look good but numbers are proof. I have a set that were on a motor I bought used that look good but someone flow tested one of them and...well...not good:mad: Thats why I bought a set of Champion GN1s and didn't look back. Yes, with the rockers and pushrods they are not cheap but they are the last set I will ever need for this car.

Do a search on aluminum heads and daily drivers.

Look for things like cracks and leaks and smoking. :eek:

Then get a set of ported irons. ;)

Frank G. has been porting them for years, so has Champion, CNC irons.

I think you could probably pay more for the flow sheets many vendors offer that service at extra charge.

I would consider aluminums on a daily driver only after I addressed this issue, "i'm considering new heads and dont have a clue"

Lots of information to digest regarding them.

Gotta agree with this. I don't know about that guys work but anybody can port heads to look good but numbers are proof. I have a set that were on a motor I bought used that look good but someone flow tested one of them and...well...not good:mad: Thats why I bought a set of Champion GN1s and didn't look back. Yes, with the rockers and pushrods they are not cheap but they are the last set I will ever need for this car.

Is it your not happy w/ his work or never heard of him. I have not picked a vendor to do my heads yet. Who do you recommend

Is it your not happy w/ his work or never heard of him. I have not picked a vendor to do my heads yet. Who do you recommend

Heard a little about him, nothing bad but I prefer to spend a little more for parts and/or services that are proven. If he has a flow bench and offers a warranty, than great. Not bashing anyone here. I had a repair shop for years and have been turning wrenches all of my life. I've built a bunch of cars, boats and other things. I ported a few sets of heads for my Mopars and even used templates but I would not port my own heads if I were serious about the motor I was building. Like I said, 3 years on my GN1s and no problems. CNC porting is the best way to go. Just my 02

I use a guy that is a one man shop and has turned out some amazing heads for me over the years. Same stuff that was on Shane's car that ran 129+ on the shakedown pass.

Stick with a reputable shop and you'll be fine. How much you want to spend versus how long you want to wait probably will come into play as well. I'd put my guy up against anyone out there from a flow and work quality standpoint but he doesnt get high marks for his turn around time.

Champion ported irons are about as good as you're going to do dealing with McHead shops.

GNTIM, did u have your GN1's CNC' ed? or are you referring to how they come stock? plz, thanks, Gregg

I noticed you live in Illinios so do I and I'm taking my heads to Precision Engine & Machine. The owner is part of the Chicago club thats how I found him and he does several diffrent port jobs and flows them several times also ports the intake to match. I'm taking them to him next week so he can magnaflux them and get started. Here is his number if you need it.
Richard Sliwinski
847-903-9585
pemracengine@dls.net

Yes they are stock heads with just under 80k miles on them from the car when it was a hotair. The intake I'm not sure about as I'm getting it from someone else. It is going to be pretty expensive as it's a pretty decent port job with new everything. I took pictures of the heads as stockers and I'll take some more when the job is done but who knos when that is as theyare still sitting in my garage. I'll post the pics when its all done.

I would stay away from the iron heads. Decks are too thin and not very tolerant to warping after a bout with serious detonation. You could deck them if you warp them, but then you end up with a set of heads with even thinner decks. I would just start out with aluminum. I've installed TA heads and Champion aluminums with no problems.

one head warps one head cracks............i get 10 different suggestions from 10 diff. people, but, i knew this would happen, :biggrin: i was kinda hoping the overwhelming response would be for (one) set of heads, ugh,