what heads?

GNTIM, did u have your GN1's CNC' ed? or are you referring to how they come stock? plz, thanks, Gregg

Nope, box stock. If I bought a set of ported iron heads I would be CNC ported ones. If I decide to have mine done that would be the way I would go.

thanks GNTIM, i think i've made my mind up. i want to thank everyone who has responded to this topic, for their input. everyone has very good points.

one head warps one head cracks............i get 10 different suggestions from 10 diff. people, but, i knew this would happen, :biggrin: i was kinda hoping the overwhelming response would be for (one) set of heads, ugh,

If you plan on keeping your car under 130 mph in the quarter than i would go with a set of ported irons. Champion has a procedure to reinforce the areas that deflect on the head surface that is relatively inexpensive. If going with aluminum you are going to need different covers and rockers adding to the cost. It just depends on your goals and how much you want to spend as guys have gone really fast with iron and aluminum.

Unless you want to go alot faster than mid 10's a good set of ported irons are the way to go unless you have $$ to burn. You just have make sure all the runners are ported equally. :smile:

Nope it's not PTE out of Indiana. It is Precision Engine & Machine 821 Surrey Lane Sleepy Hollow, IL. The owners name is Rick Sliwinski his number is 1-847-903-9585. He is a member of the Chicago Buick club very well respected for his machine work. Here is a link to the Chicago club you can find him under Links to Chicago vendors. Chicagoland Chapter GSCA

I would go with a good set of ported irons. I ran a set for 5+ years with no problems. They are alot cheaper than aluminum. You can run 10.30's on irons easy.

Good luck

ported champion irons (refurbished ported stock heads) $1195, versus champion aluminum (all new) bigger valves, also moved for improved combustion, plus of course aluminum, $1695, only $500 difference, am i wrong? :confused:

ported champion irons (refurbished ported stock heads) $1195, versus champion aluminum (all new) bigger valves, also moved for improved combustion, plus of course aluminum, $1695, only $500 difference, am i wrong? :confused:

Your correct there if you plan on running stock rockers and valve covers. If you replace the rockers and the covers you are spending $400 more. If you go aluminum, get the ported ones to get a big increase over the ported iron head. The unported ones dont offer nearly the same gain over a ported iron.