What Horsepower is best for a street-car?

mach.80

Thread Killer
Hi, every one,

I have a HA with SC&C Stage 2, SPC springs, and LS1 discs all around.

I was wondering what would be just the right amount of HP for my 275/18" Nitto 555nt.

My plans are: Posi, to build up the trans, Motorwork, Shocks, Rear control arms and upgraded swaybars. (I like to bend corners too)

This car is for street use only and will probably only see the track to get a slip.

So at what point will traction become a problem and too much HP make my car slower, due to wheel spin, on the street? Stoplight to stoplight stuff.

Thanks. I'm sure someone has gotten to this point.;)

at around 400hp they start to get fun and at around 500hp they start to get scary...
so, to answer your question- 600hp seems about right.

450-550 to the ground is pretty amusing and still reliable enough to drive everywhere.

IT seems that it doesnt take long at any hp level you start to get used to it and then it isnt enough.They always feel fast the first couple of times you drive it and then it becomes boring.

450-550 to the ground is pretty amusing and still reliable enough to drive everywhere.

I drive my car every nice weekend on the street. It weighs about 3,700 lbs with me in it and runs 126 mph in the quarter mile. Based on various formulas I've seen, that's over 550 hp and it is a hoot to drive! Just punching the throttle a few times when I drive is a thrill! (and it gets nearly 20 mpg) I run 255 60 15 MT Drag Radials and they hook suprisingly good on the street. Right now I gave regular BFG Radials on the car for highway cruising and you can break the tires loose at almost any speed :) It opens a lot of eyes when merging off an on ramp on the interstate.:eek: :D :D :eek:

It weighs about 3,700 lbs with me in it and runs 126 mph in the quarter mile.

That about perfect to play with...........:biggrin:
and it is still dangerous!

I drive my car every nice weekend on the street. It weighs about 3,700 lbs with me in it and runs 126 mph in the quarter mile. Based on various formulas I've seen, that's over 550 hp and it is a hoot to drive! Just punching the throttle a few times when I drive is a thrill! (and it gets nearly 20 mpg) I run 255 60 15 MT Drag Radials and they hook suprisingly good on the street. Right now I gave regular BFG Radials on the car for highway cruising and you can break the tires loose at almost any speed :) It opens a lot of eyes when merging off an on ramp on the interstate.:eek: :D :D :eek:

Yeah, I miss that and can not wait to get back to that trap speed (maybe a little higher this time).

The 440whp car in my sig weighed 3200lbs and trapped 120-122 all day every day. I scared the living crap out of my friend getting on the freeway in it... apparently 45* sideways is scary to some people. :biggrin:

Yea! I think I like the 600hp idea. Unfortunatly, my budget doesnt agree. Yet.

First off, I am starting with a HA with a rebuilt block. So, I would like to get some use out of it.

I was thinking of upgrading the HA turbo(can't remember the model#), Alchy injection, Turbotweek has a AFR chip that uses the WB o2 I like that idea.
3" dual exhaust, and the fuel to supply of course. As well as a good tune.

With a good running engine what ballpark do you guys think I'll be in?

Here is your challenge if you choose to accept it.

About 250hp

Ouch! Thats too bad. It actually isnt worth the money. I may end up swapping to 86/87 for the upgradibility.

I would like 400hp or so. Maybe more if I have to do an 87 swap.

What would be the best STREET set up? What do you have?

The criteria: Starts great everytime.
Warms up normal.
My wife can drive it to the store. (Not that I would let her)
At least 20mpg. (More perferred)
Makes at least 400bhp.
Shifts strong nice and solid with great chirp in second.

1. Engine (can I use my HA?)
2. Torque converter (think about MPG and a decient stall for turbo compatability)
3. turbo (quick spooling/ efficient) @what PSI?
4. fuel delivery (pump,fpr)
5. intake/exhaust
6. computer/chip (I still like the TT chip & WBo2)
7. Trans/shift kit
8. Intercooler ( air/air or h2o/air)
9. Alchy/Meth.

I want to hear about your combo and why it has the best streetability.

This message will self destruct in 5 4 3 2....

Ouch! Thats too bad. It actually isnt worth the money. I may end up swapping to 86/87 for the upgradibility.

I would like 400hp or so. Maybe more if I have to do an 87 swap.

What would be the best STREET set up? What do you have?

The criteria: Starts great everytime.
Warms up normal.
My wife can drive it to the store. (Not that I would let her)
At least 20mpg. (More perferred)
Makes at least 400bhp.
Shifts strong nice and solid with great chirp in second.

1. Engine (can I use my HA?)
2. Torque converter (think about MPG and a decient stall for turbo compatability)
3. turbo (quick spooling/ efficient) @what PSI?
4. fuel delivery (pump,fpr)
5. intake/exhaust
6. computer/chip (I still like the TT chip & WBo2)
7. Trans/shift kit
8. Intercooler ( air/air or h2o/air)
9. Alchy/Meth.

I want to hear about your combo and why it has the best streetability.

This message will self destruct in 5 4 3 2....
Id look for an 86-87 IC setup.I have one in CT if your interested. Id go with a GT3255 or TE44 and a stock converter that has been re-stalled to 2800. It should easily hit the numbers at 22-23psi. Any aftermarket fuel pump that will deliver at least 255lph. Not Walbro and their crap. Any adjustable regualtor. Alkycontrol alky injection. Any injector should cut it with the alky control turned up for only 400hp. TT chip for the intended boost level. A CK shift recalibration kit. Assuming the trans is in good shape still. Chirping 2nd doesnt mean crap and is more dependent on the tires. The 2-3 shift is where the trans usually takes a $hitter. Get an external trans cooler. Stock intercooler with big neck. MT DR's. Not sure if they make them for an 18" rim but Nitto's suck balls big time. Any free flowing exhaust. I have a Hooker on my car and it wasnt much of a problem under 500hp. Quiet too. Id go stainless if keeping the car though. Any dp that has a smooth radius out of the turbo. Doesnt have to be 3". 2.5" is fine.

Alright. Sounds good.

Now I have to re-budget for the IC setup. I was hoping on just a few upgrades and get 300hp. But I guess not with a HA.

My Eagle Talon had 240hp with a $10 boost controller. My Mazda had 400 but was built. RIP.

I was thinking of the 3" dual exhaust for the sound. I was told it has a deeper exhaust note.

My last smog is next year. So I plan on getting that out of the way before I start the powerplant. So. I'll be a saving away til then.

So, you think that is the best bang for the buck? The most efficient street car.

300 hp should be attainable witha hot air I would think. I've heard you can get into 12 off general mods and alky.

these days, when you hear soemone talking about their mid 12 second car, you don't even think it's really that fast. but just 15-20 years ago, it was unusual to ever read much about mid 13 second street driven cars that weren't big $$$ buildups in the magazines.
but a 12 second car is plenty fast for something that gets driven- if i ever start sticking money into my 84, my goal is to hit the 12's, which takes somewhere in the area of 350-400hp at the flywheel to accomplish.
my 71 Nova was probably a mid 12 second car (never got it on a 1/4 mile track, and it would spin most of the 1/8 mile track i took it to), and it was fast enough to scare anyone that rode in it, while still being drivable by my 50 year old mom and getting 17mpg.

OK. food for thought.

12.1 is what I ran in my street rx7. Even got kills on 911 turbo, viper, vette, ss camaro. Plenty fast for the street. Some where around there would be great. Even a little less with the HA would be fine.

My car only has two options Cruze control and A/C. so its kinda light.