What is a flare?

dalesteraz

Just when I thought I knew everything there is to know about trans. I see the term flare alot on here, what is a flare?

My understanding is when (usually WOT), after shifting to the next gear, the RPM's jump way up for a second or 2. Scared the heck out of me after buying mine and experiencing this. Rebuilt now and no more flare.

Carl

From someone who has experienced it...When my car would shift 2-3 instead of it being firm it kinda slips a little between the shifts. It's not for long...maybe like .5 seconds, but I'm sure it gets worse if you don't do anything about it. I had my trans freshened up and my 3rd gear clutches looked they had seen better days.

I'm not sure what it is either but i know you have to wear at least 15 pieces of it to work at Chochkies........

It's when the gear that is currently being used releases before the next gear engages causing the RPM's to momentary spike.

It's when the gear that is currently being used releases before the next gear engages causing the RPM's to momentary spike.

Excellent description.

May I also add, it would feel similar to purposely slipping the clutch on a manual transmission. The RPMS jump up, but you're not accelerating fast.