What is it worth and what are the probems I should look for?

boston813

First let me say that I am not that familiar with American muscle cars. I have owned my share of American cars but that was before I really started playing with cars and working on them myself.

I have been looking for a straight line machine for a while and the chance to buy a one owner '87 GN has come up so I am in need of an education. The original owner is an older gentleman that only took the car out on nice days and to church on Sundays (I'm not making this up). He worked as a car transporter for Buick for years and in '87 decided he wanted a GN... so he pulled out a wad of cash and bought it.

The good...
one owner, dealer serviced, low miles (not sure how many), all original, super uptight about maintenance and keeping the interior beautiful, GNX gauges.

The bad...
It lives out side. the second paint job was done cheap and now the clear coat is coming off. It was kept under a tarp and that didn't do the paint any good. the exhaust is rusting and needs to be replaced (not sure how bad it is)

OK, so when I go look at it where should I check for rust and rot? anything special to look for, things that these cars are known for? I can look at the parts in the engine/turbo and get a good idea of what kind of shape it is in but I was looking for something more than just a driver.

Part 2... What is it worth? I know it is hard to tell from just a post with no pictures and a bad description but what kind of ballpark am I looking at.

I would rather buy it before it is repainted because I am sure that I will find a better place to have it done than some one that is just looking to get rid of it. Thanks for your help and I look forward to the education.

how much is he asking for? check the bottom of the doors for rust. if it has gnx gauges, then he might have had some type of performance mods on it, (maybe? -maybe not?) i would'nt worry about the paint job, it having a bad paint job should fetch you a better price. take her for a nice ride ( not just around the block) you could pop open the hood and check what type of condition the hoses are in? the valve covers also if they look greasey or dirty then he might have not taken care of the car as good as he claims.
pictures and milage would help greatly , how does it shift? what condition are the rims in? are they rusted? does the ac work? check the trunk area, remove the carpet in the trunk and check for rust.

if no rust, bad paint and good engine i would say between $7k to $9k.
without pictures or milage it very hard to say. but a good paint job is at least
$3k-to-$5k and thats for a good job not a great job. take pics and milage info, and we can give you more help.

1.Take someone with you, that's familar w/ these cars.
2. Have a CARFAX run on it BEFORE you hand them a dime.
3. Take it someplace that has a lift... Look it over VERY carefully.

I think no-nos is going to be a little low on the scale there. Obviously from what you said this is going to be a low mileage car, and if it's as clean and tigt as you indicate (besides a poor paint finish), then it's probably worth at least 10k, maybe 12. But get us some more info. And pics. Put the engine and trans thru it's paces and to be perfectly honest with you, your best bet is to get someone local who is familiar with these cars to go with you on that visit. Ask around. Turbo Buick guys are EXTREMELY helpful and have this disease that makes them just want to check out other people stuff. ;)

Put the engine and trans thru it's paces and to be perfectly honest with you,

I don't really think that's sound advise. Why would you want to risk knowing that most likely it needs tuning due to setting, cover & tarped. I'd drive to make sure it's sound but no way I'd push it at 1st.

Without knowing your mechanical background

These cars can be a pain in the a$$, and if you blow a head gasket will you be able to pull it in garage and start the teardown or will you stand there scratching your head?

Just questions you want to ask yourself and i only say this from reading the start of your thread So you may want to rate your mechanical ability's to yourself before you make the leap cause you may spend X amount on car and wind up chasing issues right and left, over 100k can you replace your timing chain by yourself? valve springs on and on.

Ive caught on pretty quick but when i bought mine i was like daym what the hell did i get myself into, but ive also had the backing of 25 years of dinking around with American muscle cars.

If its got GNX gauges its prolly been tinkered with which means tune, tune and more tune all the time and always to the tune of more money cause once you got it running good it will be time for upgrades then next you'll be upgrading your upgrades...lol

Do as Chuck said and get carfax, check under doors, skins, any bubbles on wheel wells, put on hoist check frame, check for door sagging, check the door striker-- grab with hand and twist a little to make sure its not hobbled, post where in the country you are located and perhaps you can find someone on here thats willing to meet and look at it.

There not for the timid but they sure are fun when running good

hope this helps a little...post more info such as miles and pics of motor, underneath etc

Mike

I am blown away by the quality and the quantity of responses that have come in. The car is in the DE/MD area and I will be going to take a look at it in 2 weeks. As for the upgraded GNX gauges that was purely for looks, that much I know for sure... At first I was thinking that this would be a nice (quick) easy to drive (automatic) car for getting back and forth to work... now that you are telling me the prices that they fetch I am thinking that I may clean it up, sell it and put the $$ towards my house. The last time that I talked to John (the owner) he said that he would sell it for $4k like it is but for $5k he would have it painted and put new tires on it. At this point you can see why I would like to get it before it is painted...

I am in quite the quandary now... its not every day that you find a good group of car guys that are this helpful, I may have to keep it for a while and make it faster.

As soon as I have more information I will post it up and if there is any one in the area that is free on the 27th let me know

As for the upgraded GNX gauges that was purely for looks, that much I know for sure he would sell it for $4k like it is but for $5k he would have it painted and put new tires on it. At this point you can see why I would like to get it before it is painted...

The GNX dash is worth a grand alone and a 1k wont even buy the materials to paint the car but Earl Shieb has a special going right now for 299 out the door..lol pass on the 1000 dollar paint job and go buy it this weekend for 4 grand period. before he changes his mind

I am blown away by the quality and the quantity of responses that have come in. The car is in the DE/MD area and I will be going to take a look at it in 2 weeks. As for the upgraded GNX gauges that was purely for looks, that much I know for sure... At first I was thinking that this would be a nice (quick) easy to drive (automatic) car for getting back and forth to work... now that you are telling me the prices that they fetch I am thinking that I may clean it up, sell it and put the $$ towards my house. The last time that I talked to John (the owner) he said that he would sell it for $4k like it is but for $5k he would have it painted and put new tires on it. At this point you can see why I would like to get it before it is painted...

I am in quite the quandary now... its not every day that you find a good group of car guys that are this helpful, I may have to keep it for a while and make it f

As soon as I have more information I will post it up and if there is any one in the area that is free on the 27th let me know

what! 4k imo there is no more discussion car would be bought, if it were me

Seriously, if what he has told you about the car is even remotely accurate, the car is an absolute steal. Something smells fishy. If it's straight up, take cash, buy the damned thing! But you had beter take a knowledgable GN guy with you, and there are PLENTY of them around the MD area, I used to live there. Shoot, call Bill Anderson. This car COULD be a clone, only way I could see 4 grand for it. Let us know what you find out!

Lots of red flags IMO. First is the fact that the seller worked for Buick and had the knowledge to install GNX gauges. He knows darn well what a GN is worth. And I bet it has a lot more mods than he says. Who does gauges to a car and leaves it stock? Not my first choice in mods anyway. Even if he is old he would be asking a lot more for it. He is hiding something. Another red flag. It's parked outside and in the salt belt. There will be rust on it. Maybe the reason for the 4 grand asking price. Even if you only see one small spot of rust there are hundreds of other spots you cant see.You will have rust. Maybe the reason for the cheap paint? Again something is hiding. I'd double check that mileage. Do you really know how to tell if the odometer has rolled over? Let me get this straight. You wanted this car for a DD? And now you want to flip it for money? Even at $4K it's a bad buy. These cars are money pits reguardless of the miles. You'll lose money either way. Cost to much to get it on the road. Costs to much to make it worth buying. The simple fact of posting on this board proves it. Every one assumes it's a steal at that price. But if it's a POS than everyone assumes it's a rip off. No middle ground here.:mad:

Lots of red flags IMO. First is the fact that the seller worked for Buick and had the knowledge to install GNX gauges. He knows darn well what a GN is worth. And I bet it has a lot more mods than he says. Who does gauges to a car and leaves it stock? Not my first choice in mods anyway. Even if he is old he would be asking a lot more for it. He is hiding something. Another red flag. It's parked outside and in the salt belt. There will be rust on it. Maybe the reason for the 4 grand asking price. Even if you only see one small spot of rust there are hundreds of other spots you cant see.You will have rust. Maybe the reason for the cheap paint? Again something is hiding. I'd double check that mileage. Do you really know how to tell if the odometer has rolled over? Let me get this straight. You wanted this car for a DD? And now you want to flip it for money? Even at $4K it's a bad buy. These cars are money pits reguardless of the miles. You'll lose money either way. Cost to much to get it on the road. Costs to much to make it worth buying. The simple fact of posting on this board proves it. Every one assumes it's a steal at that price. But if it's a POS than everyone assumes it's a rip off. No middle ground here.:mad:

I cant agree with you more about red flags and living in the salt belt. Even if its low mileage car, if it needs alot of work, then its not worth the hassle of trying to restore it when you can buy a real nice one thats never been messed with for cheaper than what you would spend getting it redone.

Someone said 12K for a car that needs restored would be about right, i HIGHLY think NOT! First, we have no idea of the condition of this car, and for 4K its probably what its worth since its been sitting outside, worn out seals, and a bad paint job. You probably will have an additional 6-8K worth out of pocket cash, plus alot of your own labor to restore it if you want the car looking decent.

Now if you wanted to buy it for 4K and drive the car, put some miles on it and fix what breaks, then decide to paint it down the road..... Thats a better plan.
Ive seen some good deals, ive seen some bad deals, with no hard evidence of what this car is, i say its a 4k car as is.:redface:

PS, low miles could be 100K on the original odometer and 35K on this new odometer. Hopefully he isnt trying to pawn it off as a 35K car.

Just giving my honest opinion.
BW

Well for 4 grand i figured it was a turd but what the hell live and learn eh besides nothing another 2 gals of bondo cant fix..LOL