what is the best gas mileage youve EVER gotten?

TType84

cookin with propane
i just got back from a trip from dallas to san antonio..

650 miles approx on 20.4 gallons.. thats about 32mpg

average speed was 85-90, commonly approaching 100-110.. before you yell and scream. This WAS with the flow of traffic!! people in texas drive fast on sunday afternoon :eek:

anyway this wasnt in a buick, but in a 1993 mitsubishi mirage, my girlfriends car, loaded with 3 people and luggage. it only has a 3 speed auto in it too.. weird. ive read that the stick cars get over 40..

anyway i was wondering whats the best gas mileage you guys have ever gotten, regardless of the car..

29mpg on a 400 mile trip running a MaxEffort with Lucas 38lb injectors. Had the lean cruise set up so it was just on the edge of surging. This was with the A/C on, all highway driving. Backed it up with 27mpg on 400 miles back.

Eric

I got 30mpg with the stock injectors and a Thrasher 92 chip on a trip to Memphis a couple of years ago.

This past summer, I got 29mpg with 50# injectors and a Thrasher 92 chip(for 50#) going to Memphis again.

In my '99 Vette, I averaged 31-32 MPG on a "road trip" with cruise control set at 80 and sometimes 85 MPH.

Auto with 273 gear. :)

Back when I was driving my GN (clear weather ONLY) i never averaged out my mileage or took any road trips.

The best milage I have ever gotten was 52mpg in my Toyota pickup truck with a 2.2L Diesel, that is in the city as well. I was driving like a granny to see what I could get out of it. On my low milage T, I have pulled 35mpg and on the one in my signature I pulled 29mpg. But my low milage T weighs 400lbs less!

Sweet Car

In 1980, Datsun (now Nissan) got in the competition for "Best Gas Mileage" and came out with the "Datsun 210 MPG"...1.5 w/5-spd. EPA window sticker read 51hiway/37city. With taller tires, MSD-6, & synthetic fluids it got a consistant 50-55 mpg over the next very aggressive 200K miles as an Interstate & Inner-City (Louisville-Baltimore-DC-Philly) warrior.

$5800.00 new. 10 years use, 1 waterpump...period.

:) :) :) :) :)

25 mpg when my car was stock.....been downhill ever since then:p i think now i get around 15-17 mpg

i got 36-38 mpg. in a 4-speed chevy citation. my dad somehow managed to get 30mpg. in our 89 firebird(305tbi.) my record in my GN was 28, averaging around 70-75. BTW, a friend of mine used to have a 78 datsun 510 with a 5-speed. i think he saw upwards of 35 in it. but he drove it like he was running from the cops all the time.

i think the best ive ever seen out of my car is 18mpg, but ive never actually emptied a tank on the highway alone..

average.. 12-14mpg city.

Wifes 91 Park Ave on the trip to Bristol.

Coming home filled up (put 6 gals before we left), stopped in PA for another 6 gal fillup and made it home with more than 1/2 tank. SO I'm thinking somewhere around 550 miles on 16 gals. Comes out to ~35mpg in a 4000# luxury liner at 90-100mph the whole way home. What a car that thing is....

So what's the secret into getting great mileage out of the TR's? Other than having a good O2 sensor and keeping your right foot out of it, does it matter where the fuel pressure is set up?

Dannyo

In my old GN I deceided to see how well I could do on milegae So I went one week back an forth to school BARELY lettin the turbo spool (one of the hardest things ever! :D LOL). I averaged out 30 mpg!

Bringing this one back from the dead.....
Best ever.......85 Volkswagon 4 cyl. Diesel=54 MPG :eek:
Best american car= my 98 GTP= 33 to the beach. Some city, mainly highway.
Best in a GN= My 87 that is mostly stock= 29 MPG on the way to the beach.

In my 1980 Rabbit Pickup I got 52 MPG. In my '67 chevy 1/2ton with a 283, 3 speed manual, and 4.11's I got 24 mpg on the freeway at 65 mph.

I got 10 once in my 67 Cad with 429 and 3 speed auto. :) Averaged 8...premium fuel only, too.

Dad gets around 30 in his 3.8 92 Park Avenue with ac and 80mph and some city.

If you disconnect the actuator rod, can you run the GN at 0 boost? Wonder what it would get then, if you kept your foot out of it.

If you disconnect the wastegate rod and need to get moving and mash down the gas a little to far, the car will drown. Tried it once for giggles.

Pat83t, I bought two of those trucks one time, but a guy who wanted them more than me came by and bought them off me before I got either on the road. Since then gas has went up and I wish I had kept one for the milage.

Originally posted by Rogue Leader
In my old GN I deceided to see how well I could do on milegae So I went one week back an forth to school BARELY lettin the turbo spool (one of the hardest things ever! :D LOL). I averaged out 30 mpg!

I've tried that. I get bored and spool. :(

Not to be a party pooper, but a friend of mine told me he always got over 30 mpg driving his Riviera at over 90mph. I checked when we filled up and he got 19-20 mpg which is pretty darn good.

If you were to really check some of the people that make some of their claims, you'd find out it's BS. Not necessarily intentional. :)Most approximate the mileage and the gallons. Even when magiazines have their economy runs, there's no way a full-sized car (like Riviera's, LeSabre's, etc.) can go 80-90 mph and get over 30 mpg for hundreds of miles, unless they resort to unrealistic tire pressures (40-50 lbs)and impractical non-stock gearing. Even then it may not be possible.

It's like the guy that says his car runs 11's and you go to the track and he's lucky if it breaks into the 13's.

I got 52 mpg going 55-60 mph for about 250 miles in a VW Diesel. The same year gas model got 34 mpg over about 310 miles. My brother worked at a VW dealership. No way is a bigger car (GAS MODEL)going to beat that!

Just my 100 mph for 500 miles and 40 mpg opinion! :)

My GN is in the high teens, runnin' pretty rich.
My Alero gets a best of 32-33mpg on the highway. Better than my '81 Benz Diesel did (that got about 30).
My bike though, driven like I stole it, driven short distances, and always warmed up a lot beforehand, got about 50 mpg last season. Now that I'm taking her to work, I'm hoping for high 50s. On a vehicle that will lay waste to 95% of the cars out there, not bad I must say.