what is the lowest thing you have seen cop do?

Originally posted by aperrego
Oh I see.. Then we should all have a "Free for all" day for christmas.. Let me ask you a question...About 10 years ago, I responded to an accident coincidentally on christmas day.. When some Winner decided to go 20 MPH over the speed limit and Tbone a car that killed 2 out of 5 people. The mother, and a 6 year old that were on thier way to the grandparents to celebrate christmas. So I guess instead of charging the guy for involuntary manslaughter I should have just said ho ho ho merry christmas? [/B]

I feel your pain. I've debated people in these threads in the past but it doesn't do much good. There are those people that think all cops are power hungry a@#holes no matter what you say. Everybody who does this job knows we aren't in it for the money or to win friends. We all know we work with some people that should probably be doing something else, but that is the same in every profession. I love the fact that everybody and there brother thinks they know how to do my job better than me. I'll jump off my soapbox know and go back to trying to learn something about TR's.

Z

Originally posted by aperrego So I guess instead of charging the guy for involuntary manslaughter I should have just said ho ho ho merry christmas?

ROTFLMAO! (what, you mean you didn't?)

Here's a story for you cop haters...

I have a friend who was fired from one PD for "excessive force" during a DWI arrest. (it get's better) Gee, the videotape from the in-car camera (which would prove/disprove the case) is missing... Uh, should I mention that the arrestee happened to be a friend of the Chief, and the Chief wanted my friend to drop the DWI charges? But my friend refused to?

Something to think about - Police departments are similar to people in that the depts can be different in their "personality." In addition, quality of services varies greatly from city to city and state to state. I don't doubt many of the complaints that I have heard, and I am glad that I have nothing to do with those departments and officers that give a bad name to the whole profession. For those, I say, report it first to the department. Keep good records. If that doesn't work, report it to the news. Heck, if you have a case and it is bad enough, I'll even say "take that department to court" - if it truly is an issue with that department, and not with the one individual officer that caused the trouble to start with. Those bad departments and officers will never get better if they are not held accountable for their actions.

As for approaching an intersection and hitting the lights/siren to pass through & then turning all back off - anyone that complains is probably just jealous!:D

But really - it could be a boyfriend with several guns kicking the ever-living snot out of his girlfriend - heck yeah we got to get there asap, but lights & siren all the way? We might as well just call ahead and tell the guy to set up an ambush for us (and unfortuately, this happens a lot more often than you might think)

Open minded folks - check out www.odmp.org

Originally posted by aperrego

"In 2002, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates Nationally that fatal crashes in which speed was a contributing factor killed 13,713 people. The economic cost of all speed-related crashes is estimated at $40.4 billion. "

I'm sure speed was the reason for all those incidents, not just "related". You know as well as I do that those statistics are massaged to fit certain views. :rolleyes: Don't get me started about speed laws, enforcement, and driver education. I've done extensive research and written papers on the subject, namely when the 55 mph limit was in effect. I don't have the numbers on hand, but I do know that deaths per million miles travelled notably declined after the 55mph repeal.

I'm not going to say that speeding is good, because it is not. The problem with this situation is not the speeders, it's the general attitude, speed laws, and lack of driver education and ability. How many times has a car pulled out in front of you and you need to take evasive action to avoid impact? I can only imagine how many incidents such as this become statistic for the "speed kills" lobby because: one driver did not properly estimate the speed of the approaching vehicle before "cutting out", another driver was not paying enough attention or lacked the cognitive ability to avoid the "offending" vehicle, AND there is no accurrate method to estimate the speed of the vehicle that originally had the right-of-way.

Sorry to jack this thread, but when I see quotes such as this, I feel they aren't getting equal time.

Originally posted by ross87t
I've seen cops clocking and ticketing people on Christmas morning in my home town. Get a life ass-holes.
One Christmas morning my father, a retired MP Major was waiting for my aunt to get off a bus in downtown Arlington, Ma. He was waiting in a "No Parking Zone" area as she was getting off the bus. A cop that my father knew of (another cop on APD was a friend of my Dad) demanded that he move even though my Aunt was on her way to the car. So my Dad moved into the street which was a one way and blocked traffic so she could get in. Needless to say my Dad was POed at that. My Dad's friend told him nobody liked that guy. Funniest thing is he drove around in a patrol car with "Officer Friendly" plastered on the side. From then on my Dad would not use his name only refer to him as Officer Friendly in a sarcastic tone.

I know a cop that farts in church.

Habitually.

He's a habitual church-farter.

Originally posted by GNeric
I am going to get a camera and mount it in my car and record all that I can and if I ever get pulled over for something trivial, I will present it as evidence that they are not leading by example.
Bad behavior does not excuse other bad behavior. No question law enforcement should lead by example but it doesn't excuse others from repeating their lawlessness. You're totally justified recording thier unlawful behavior and submitting that to their chief (or local news).

Submitting your photo as evidence and a defense to your infraction simply won't fly.

Originally posted by ross87t
I've seen cops clocking and ticketing people on Christmas morning in my home town. Get a life ass-holes.
I personally disagree with the practice as do most of my co-workers, I mean come on. BUT, last I knew speeding was illegal 365 days a year.

There's 1 guy I work with who takes pride in writing a lot of tickets on Christmas DAY! He gets a lot of heat from the rest of us but like I said in an earlier post, bad behavior doesn't excuse other bad behavior.

I can only imagine you work with jerks too. I don't know what you do for a living but it wouldn't be fair to call all of you [insert your profession here] ass-holes because a select few are jerks.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going to get a camera and mount it in my car and record all that I can and if I ever get pulled over for something trivial, I will present it as evidence that they are not leading by example.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bad behavior does not excuse other bad behavior. No question law enforcement should lead by example but it doesn't excuse others from repeating their lawlessness. You're totally justified recording thier unlawful behavior and submitting that to their chief (or local news).

Submitting your photo as evidence and a defense to your infraction simply won't fly.

I understand that completely, but I am talking about something like speedo error and getting pulled over and warned for going 31 in a 30 and then watching him drive off to his hiding spot at around 48mph. A few of the sheriff's here do that. No ticket. Just a bad attitude as they approach my car. I got pullet over Wednesday on my way to work for doing 37 in a 30 and when I pointed out that the 30mph sign was still 1 mile ahead and I was still in a 40mph zone, he was very cool and apologized and said "you're right, you're right. Have a nice day". This is what I respect. Not the ones who say "YOU GETTIN' SMART WITH ME:mad: !"

I once got pulled over in my Regal, not 5 miles from my house because the car "looked suspicious". The guy asked if he could search my car. I was already annoyed because I am now late for a dinner reservation for my fathers birthday party. So i said "yeah, go ahead, knock yourself out.":rolleyes: So Mr. Super Trooper takes everything out of my car, throws it on the sidewalk, even my spare tire, finds nothing out of the ordinary. So hes all pissed off. So then he calls out the drug dog. The dog leaves muddy foorprints all over the seats, finds nothing. ANd then they just took off. Not even an apology. They left all my stuff all over the sidewalk. Ive left 4 messages on the cheifs answering machine and never gotten a call back. I spent $110 getting my seats shampooed and I want the police department to pay for it. Should they?

It's unfortunate those that serve the public treat their customers in such a slip-shot manner. I'd be upset too and wouldn't hesitate to send a bill to the PD for the shampooing.

Just an FYI, most people don't know that when they consent to a search they have the absolute right to end that consent thus ending the search at any moment. The search must cease immediately.

its really no ones business how fast a police officer is driving-- his responsibilities are totally different from regular citizens-- i dont want him to have any restrictions on fast he can drive or if he uses his turn signals-- if he causes an accident then he has to accept the consequences-- i want him to have complete freedom to protect and serve

quote:
I understand that completely, but I am talking about something like speedo error and getting pulled over and warned for going 31 in a 30 and then watching him drive off to his hiding spot at around 48mph. A few of the sheriff's here do that. No ticket. Just a bad attitude as they approach my car. I got pullet over Wednesday on my way to work for doing 37 in a 30 and when I pointed out that the 30mph sign was still 1 mile ahead and I was still in a 40mph zone, he was very cool and apologized and said "you're right, you're right. Have a nice day". This is what I respect. Not the ones who say "YOU GETTIN' SMART WITH ME:mad: !"

If they say that, you should say: "Gee, your right officer! That wouldn't be fair, now would it?":p

Originally posted by TT/A1233
It's unfortunate those that serve the public treat their customers in such a slip-shot manner. I'd be upset too and wouldn't hesitate to send a bill to the PD for the shampooing.

Just an FYI, most people don't know that when they consent to a search they have the absolute right to end that consent thus ending the search at any moment. The search must cease immediately.

Constitutionally speaking, you are right. If they actually found something after the consent search, then it should be inadmissable into court. BUT on the side of the road with these less-than-ideal cops, such non-cooperation would cause longer delays in the short term, so IMO, "mygrain" did the best thing to get back on his way at the soonest.

Getting the PD to pay for the shampooing probably won't happen without taking it to court, and I feel it should be continued until satisfaction is achieved for the principle of it. Or perhaps seeing if the Media would be interested, but maybe they wouldn't... On the one hand, there is an overall support for Law Enforcement, although on the other hand, that could go too far and allow the minor injustices that we are discussing here. It's an imperfect world, but compared to the rest of the world, here in this country the common citizen has the most rights, although most of us would probably say it still isn't enough - but as has been said before and will be said again, unless you work in law enforcement and you can see it from both points of view, unreasonable searches, etc, seems like a terrible injustice

The lowest thing that I have ever seen a police officer do was -

Purchase alcohol for underaged high school students and drink with them (while off duty).

Those kids were friends of mine btw, and he was in his late 40s/early 50s.

This eventually cost him his job.

--------------------------------------------
In response to the police flying down the roads without their lights on:

I was driving down a major highway (actually interstate), posted 55 mph speed limit (undivided highway).

A state trooper passes me like I'm standing still (he is probably going around 100mph).

He doesn't have his lights on.

So where was he going? Well a few miles up the road (by my parents house), there is an accident a white car had plowed into a motorcyclist.

So there is reasons to an officers actions.

As others have said there are good and bad people in all professions.

Just my .02
Sean