What keyway for cat forged crank and bhj balancer

PHANTASM

POWERED BY POVERTY
WHAT keyway do i use for this crank and bhj balancer.

stoke stroke c.a.t. forged crank

thank for any help.

Get a hold of Nick Micale on here. He'll have the correct ones, otherwise you'll have to modify a stock one. Phil

Our crank key kit includes a shim, which is not shown in the picture as it is tucked behind the enclosed instructions. With the shim, it is a universal kit.

* Installation Instructions
* Crankshaft Key
* Shim

Don't mean to step on any vendors here but I tried that key and offered very little engagement to the cam drive sprocket. I may have used the shim with the mopar key though.

Allan G.

i cant see spending 30 bucks for a little keyway. something else has to work. anyone else?

LOOKS LIKE A BIG BLOCK CHRYSLER MIGHT WORK.

the groove i.d. on the c.a.t. crank measures .190

the key way out of the bbchry measures .1885

seems like it is going to work. just have to have the balancer honed for the press fit on the crank.

I used a stock key and made shims from a shim stock assortment that Goodson sells in their catalog or online at Engine Building Tools, Engine Builders Supply | GOODSON Tools & Supplies. Part number is SSS-51 for steel. I'm not positive, but I think I used a piece of .002 on each side of the key, maybe it was .001. Can't remember, but I messed with it until it fit tight. After the key was installed, I used a razor blade to cut off the excess. The shim stock is so thin it is easy to score and break off. It has worked for 12,000 miles with no problem. I had the BHJ damper off to change the cam timing recently, and it still looked fine. I hope your crank has knurls cut in it on the seal surface. Mine was smooth and it leaks some oil.

ended up using a bb chry keyway and shimiing it on both sides .0015. i compared the engagement to the stock set up. compared the balancer and timing gear engagement and it is the same. hopefullu it works.lol