What kind of chip is this...

george harris

Here is a pic, not sure if it is stock or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
If I ease on it, it is good. If I go wot it stumbles and backfires.

No chip should backfire. So you probably need to do some basic troubleshooting.

Fuel pump? Wastegate hoses? Boost Gauge? Spark plug wires? do you have a stock chip you can put back in for testing?

I agree that the Hypertech is stone-age compared to todays stuff for these cars. So plan on an upgrade there.

Post some more info on the car, pics, we can help you thru the troubleshooting.

Bob

No chip should backfire. So you probably need to do some basic troubleshooting.

Fuel pump? Wastegate hoses? Boost Gauge? Spark plug wires? do you have a stock chip you can put back in for testing?

I agree that the Hypertech is stone-age compared to todays stuff for these cars. So plan on an upgrade there.

Post some more info on the car, pics, we can help you thru the troubleshooting.

Bob
The fuel pump went out last week, I believe it has a hot wire kit. I seen a connection on the back of the alternator. I do not have a stock chip, I have replace the plugs and wires already. So I am looking at getting a new pump and chip this coming week. I also have a 160 stat in it. So the best chip for this set up is the Turbo tweak? I am not sure if the injectors have been changed, but I have a cotton intercooler according to the tag.

post some pics, most of our questions can be answered by looking at what you have.

do you have a boost gauge?

Bob

the wastegate control hoses (a y-shaped arrangement connected to the solenoid on the passenger valve cover) gets bad from heat and age. You should plan to replace it. It is most likely causing overboost, which breaks things.... (this may be the source of your backfire)

find it and see what kind of shape its in.

do you have access to a scantool that can scan the ECM for data and codes?

Bob

the wastegate control hoses (a y-shaped arrangement connected to the solenoid on the passenger valve cover) gets bad from heat and age. You should plan to replace it. It is most likely causing overboost, which breaks things.... (this may be the source of your backfire)

find it and see what kind of shape its in.

do you have access to a scantool that can scan the ECM for data and codes?

Bob
I have a scan master, I will check the waste gate hose.