• Craftsman

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wlaukaitis

3rd Member
What kind of hand tools do you use? Use the majority of them (most of mine are craftsman with a set of snap-on impact sockets)for your answer

Craftsman........except for the 1/2" that I threw out into the yard a while back while changing my turbo, still haven't found that one.

The majority of the tools that I own are craftsman,but I also have quite a few snap-on tools that I greatly prefer.

I got used to snap-on in the marine corps(aviation)and trust me fellas,once you get used to the quality it's hard to go back to craftsman.

Craftsman for me.

We used Strap-on and Smac in school, and I definately liked the feel of them better. But for just using them in my garage a few times a week, I'll take the price of crapsman over the other 2 any day. If wrenching was my line of work, I'd fork over the money though.

Craftsmen mostly..

But I'll admit, I have ALOT of cheap handtools (box end wrenches, sockets, etc.) that I got from Harbor Freight and use for small jobs. I have a bad habit of losing tools so I generally have these in the box that goes in the truck. I bring them to the track, and have in case of roadside emergency.

I'm a not a professional, just a hobbyist..
:D

Im the same way.
Mostly Craftsman, but a lot of no-name stuff too. I break the cheap stuff, then replace it with craftsman stuff as I go along.

Bought my first craftsman 3/8" ratchet 10 years ago, and been building my set ever since.
I have yet to get nice box wrenches. I use the same no name forged stuff that got handed down to me from my grandpa. He used them for many years, and they have served me pretty well.
Never bothered with the others, cant justify the price for what use I get from them. If I turned wrenches for a living, it might be different. My dealer mechanic friend has a lot of Mac and Snap On, and I cant believe the prices of that stuff.

95% Craftsman, with the remainder being S-K, mostly from when I couldn't get the Craftsman equivalent.

Steve

Most of it is Craftsman, then some random stuff.

Believe it or not but it is near impossible to tell the difference between my Husky (Home Depot tools) combination wrenches and my Snap-On wrenches. The Husky stuff is often a bit more money than Craftsman, but it is good stuff too.

I have also had good luck with Lyle (sp?) specialty stuff from the parts store.

YMMV

Craftsman for most of my tools.. some are also el-ghetto brand too. I have some Snap on but I cant afford going the whole way with them...

95% Craftsman i like the fact that i can go to any sears and get a replacement with no questions asked :)

tools

snap on only because I turned wrenches for seven years. There is a huge difference in wrenches and the way the sockets fit. Craftsman has come along way in the last 5 years. The main thing is the wrenches are to short to get leverage. I bought craftsman wrenchs to save money on buying shorty snapon. Its all how much you use them and when your check is based on time you want the best. Chrome sockets/swivels from MAC are junk!

I use Craftsman because it's the best quality I can afford and have easy access to. I do own a few Snap-On and in my opinion the quality is far superior.

As I side note, a while back I discovered the "Cobalt" line of tools sold at Lowe's Hardware was actually manufactured by Snap-On. (it said so right on the packaging!) However, I don't believe that's the case anymore.

I also have a set of "junk-yard/loaner" tools of various generic manufactures, made in China and India. These were my starter tools from back in high school. They've actually served me very well considering their price. Although I can remember opening a box of Chinese made "Omega" brand tools purchased from Sam's Wholsale years ago - I took the 3/8" drive ratchet out of the box, stuck the extension on it and twisted it with my hand to test the ratchet mechanism - the mechanism broke the instant I put a little torque on it with just my hands!! :rolleyes: I still have some of those first tools and use them when I need an extra wrench or socket. I also drag the cheapy tools to the junkyard instead of the Craftsman stuff. ;)

Rob

Save them cheap tools!
When I found a rounded head on a flex plate bolt, the only wrench to use is an el cheapo - you would not want to weld a Snap-On wrench to a stripped/rounded bolt :D

The cheapo tools are the best thing going when you need a "custom" wrench. Just add heat, bend to desired shape, use and throw in the box for next time. :cool:

RE tools

hey guys

Let's see what in the box today lol. i have mostly stanley sockets and wrenches. i have a few pieces from craftsman ( screwdrivers and nutdrivers) and i have a small socket set that was bought about 6-7 yrs ago. Blackhawk that was sold at carquest . that rachet has been thru hell :) and still takes abuse.

the way i look at it some tools are better than others but if you use it the way it was designed to be used they will last.

i have broke a socket before but not many the only thing i have broke is the el cheapo ratchets with the plastic dail on the back lol

like someone else has said i'm a shadetree mechanic so what tools i own workes great. the way i look at it is if it helps get the car back running i'm happy

I tend to break my knuckles on the car more than the tools i use :mad:

Most of mine are Craftsman-60%,easier to aquire and replace at Sears.Snap-Ons 30% from my dad's days as a motorcycle mechanic,quality of these is superior but just to hard to acquire/replace if you don't work in a shop.The other 10% a mix from NAPA,lifetime warranty,cheapo's and here recently I have found that the Duralast from AutoZone are pretty darn good with lifetime warranty and at a good price.I wish Snap-On was easier to find.