What kind of HP gain would I get from Alky Injection?

Allright. I am taking the steps to prepare for this alky kit. I should have the 87 ECU on its way to me now, and I am looking to get the chip from TurboTweak Home ..... but is there going to be any problems swaping the ECUs, is the wireing harness the same?

Question I have.

Do you ALWAYS have to have alcohol in the car if your planning on running alcohol injection?

For example. Everytime I start my car up, do I have to have alcohol in there or can I just if I don't want to use the alcohol, as in, I don't feel like racing, can I just run the car without the alcohol in the system without disconnecting stuff, etc?

-Saladin

Question I have.

Do you ALWAYS have to have alcohol in the car if your planning on running alcohol injection?

For example. Everytime I start my car up, do I have to have alcohol in there or can I just if I don't want to use the alcohol, as in, I don't feel like racing, can I just run the car without the alcohol in the system without disconnecting stuff, etc?

-Saladin

You don't have to....but, if you've tuned for alky, I think it's best to keep the tank full.
Cheaper than a head gasket...

Yes,
Methanol injection allows you to bump up the timing and increase boost, netting more HP. I've been going to the test-n-tunes at the local track to tweak the settings on the TT chip and play w/ boost, etc. My best run so far has been 13.2 @101 with NO knock at all. A few more t-n-t's and I'm hoping to be in the 12's.
Bill

Question I have.

-Saladin

No. The Razor kit is progressive. This means the methanol does not begin to inject until you get to around 5 lbs boost. The higher the boost past 5 means more Alky is injected. Stay out of the turbo and you will not burn any methanol. I tested my car last night and I am at 18 lbs boost no knock. Good luck. Brad

Yes,
Methanol injection allows you to bump up the timing and increase boost, netting more HP. I've been going to the test-n-tunes at the local track to tweak the settings on the TT chip and play w/ boost, etc. My best run so far has been 13.2 @101 with NO knock at all. A few more t-n-t's and I'm hoping to be in the 12's.
Bill

Bill has one of the cleanest and nicest hot air Buicks that I've ever seen. I wish mine looked half as good as his does. :cool:

I definitely have to vouch for Razor's kit. He cured the knock my GN has had since the day we brought it home in June, 1987.

As for the power increase, well, with mine, it's a 100 HP difference AT LEAST. I'm running a stock 130K mile motor with 24 lbs of boost on a TE-44 with bolt-ons and NO KNOCK. I havent' been to the track lately, but on the street, I've walked a C5 Z06 by about 4 cars from a light, all the way to about 90 MPH.

Razor's kit is no joke!

ok so this has once again peaked my interest into getting alky for my car. How difficult of an install is it to put razors kit on. Is there a lot of modification of parts that needs to be done for things like noozle placement? And if I ever decieded to take the kit off in the future (unlikely if it gives these kind of hp gains) how hard would it be to return the vehicle to stock? Also, where would I get the 87 electronics to use with the kit are there vendors that sell them? and is the stock turbo good enough to be able to run higher boost or would I be looking at upgrading that?

The kit is for an 86/87 GN. What would I need to do to my 85 for that kit to just bolt on? Is the turbo placement in the way, or is it just the intake manifold difference?

The Razor kit for a hot air is bolt on. The only difference is a solinoid which prevents the alky for being sucked into the intake when the alky is shut off. The hard part of installing the Rzor kit on a hot air is removing the turbo and installing the nozzle on the turbo adapter. Good luck- Brad

Your right I just ordered the kit from razor the other day and the salesman was really helpful. I just got the gretty stage 3 t3/t4 hybred turbo in the mail, and I am still waiting for that damn ECM to come it. I bought it on ebay so I might be getting screwed.

Also, is 36 lb injectors good for running 20-25 lbs of boost?

You might be close to maxing-out 36 pounders running that much boost. Maybe someone with those injectors will chime in. I'm running 009's (42.5 pound) at 23-24 lbs of boost and the car runs great with the Turbo-tweak chip. My injector duty-cycle is ~83% at the top of 1st gear and ~81% at the top of 2nd gear when running full throttle at the track. You don't want to max out the DC to 100% since the ECM can no longer add fuel at that point. Some have said to keep DC around 70% max, but the car runs great so I'm keeping the 009's for now. 50 pounders (or more) would offer more room to grow, so keep that in mind with your goals for the car.

HTH,

Bill

Your right I just ordered the kit from razor the other day and the salesman was really helpful. I just got the gretty stage 3 t3/t4 hybred turbo in the mail, and I am still waiting for that damn ECM to come it. I bought it on ebay so I might be getting screwed.

With the alcohol.. more than you'll ever need.

I can tell you this, Razors kit on my TTA cost me a lower driver seat clean up!! I love it and i run denatured alcohol in mine. It's easy to get in any hardware store! Julio has awsome customer service too!!:tongue: