What paint did you use to repaint your GN?

SpoolinUpGN

Hey guys,

First off, in case you were wondering, I am repainting my '87 Grand National because the factory paint has cracked everywhere as well as faded.

For all of you that have repainted your GN because of that great factory paintjob, I have a question. What paint did you use?

I realize the factory paint job was acrylic lacquer and thus, sucked.:D So what did you use for new paint? I'm from the Boston area and while I was at the World Of Wheels car show (bayside expo center) there was a company there called House of Kolors. I've heard great stuff about them and there was even a GN there that had a paintjob from them. As of now, my father and I are in the process of sanding it down to the metal and we're starting to think about what we want to do for a paintjob. I want a very nice paint...but NOT show quality. Show quality is nice, but this car will be driven often. So what do you think?

BTW - I have heard of mixing pearl into a paintjob (my Dad's idea because he's a body man and has been doing this for 35 years) but I wasn't sure, anyone ever layered extra features like those into a GN?

Thanks and sorry for the long post,
joe

Any brand of acrylic urethane......base coat/clear coat. I prefer PPG, but others are just as good. Originally, GNs have a subtle metallic in the black. I'd shoot for that. I'm not sure if a pearl will show up in black. Listen to your Dad though......sounds like he has a lot of experience. Have fun and good luck! ;)

Any of the major brands will work. Just make sure to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS & prep prep prep!
Seems the more expensive, the easier they are to use (we use Sikkens at our shop) Definately use a base/clear urethane.

The Original GN paint didn't have metallic in it but some of them seem to have it as a mistake. I'd shoot straight black...don't fool around with "what black to use" Black is black...

Sanding might take you forever. We used aircraft stripper on mine to get ALL the old paint off. Then we used DuPonts 4 step process. First was some kind of metal prep that is supposed to prevent rust. Then we Veriprimed it which made it an ugly green color. Sanded that and then grey primed it and sanded that and then shot it with black. Then 2 real good coats of their best clear. After lots of sanding and buffing and then polishing it turned out GREAT!:D
If you do a good job, it will be show car quality.
GOOD LUCK
Tarey D.

Veri prime is usually the rust prohibiter, just clarifying. That's a puke baby **** brown. Then the green is the sand and fill. Or at least that's what Dupont is. I should know in the process right now. We do metal prep (sand) the veri prime (prevents rust) then sand and fill -which you guide coat and sand- then sealer (gray color)- then base coat followed by clear. PREP PREP PREP is the key. Should have the front fender and hood done this weekend. Next front clip, deck lid, spoiler and bumper fillers. (bumpers done last year still look great) And Black is Black. (and it sure is pretty when it's kept up)

Originally posted by zam70
'.

The Original GN paint didn't have metallic in it but some of them seem to have it as a mistake. I'd shoot straight black...don't fool around with "what black to use" Black is black...

I DON'T SEE HOW SOME GNs WITH ORIGINAL PAINT CAN HAVE METALLIC AND YOUR REASON FOR IT IS......"IT'S A MISTAKE". I'VE SEEN IT MORE THAN A FEW TIMES. I'M NO HISTORIAN ON GN ORIGINAL PAINT BUT CAN'T JUST GO ALONG WITH THE "MISTAKE" THEORY. :confused:;)

Well, one or the other is a mistake. I've seen them both ways (non-met & met). rumors have it that some had metallic on one end of the car but no the other.

In my research, I've found that the common theory is the ones that have metallic in them are caused from poor paint booth/gun maintenance...who knows the actual story though.......

I also believe in 87, all metallics were clear coated (just like now)but, i could be wrong.

I had an experience like this once. Years ago I was painting a Vette in black lacquer. I was in the paint booth while other work was being performed in the shop. When the job was finished, sure enough there was gold metallic flakes in the black paintjob. I guess I started a trend.........;)