WHAT"S THIS PART?

daredevil95

Hi, I need some help with identifying a relay. I believe this relay works with the electric engine cooling fan. When I turn on the A/C, the fan kicks on and no issues but, if I'm driving without the A/C on; sometimes the car runs hotter then normal and I found that the fan is not turning on. There is a relay in the engine compartment on the driver fender well, If I wiggle the relay the fan instantly kicks on so, I'm led to believe that this may be the issue. I attached some pictures of the relay and could someone help me identify this part and where could I order it from? Thanks in advance.

Video of part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C8I1sjT74V8

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 176
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
From front to back, the 1st is the high speed fan relay, middle is low speed fan relay, the last being a delay-off relay. That one commonly goes bad and will run the battery down by running the fan in the middle of the night. It can simply be unplugged to alleviate this condition.

The low speed relay is controlled by the ECM or the A/C compressor.

The high speed relay is controlled by the intake manifold temperature switch or the A/C compressor.

RemoveBeforeFlight

From front to back, the 1st is the high speed fan relay, middle is low speed fan relay, the last being a delay-off relay. That one commonly goes bad and will run the battery down by running the fan in the middle of the night. It can simply be unplugged to alleviate this condition.

The low speed relay is controlled by the ECM or the A/C compressor.

The high speed relay is controlled by the intake manifold temperature switch or the A/C compressor.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Ah, good info thanks!

Just carry to the parts store or do it on the Webb just cross reference the # on the relay.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Check nos4gn.com they will most likely have the relays in stock. Here is a link to them.
http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/the-84/Buick-Grand-National-Parts/Detail

I would before even ordering clean the contacts and the contact blades on the relay with wd40 or maf cleaner. .

I found maf cleaner works well on cutting through the old dielectric grease.. The oils run out of the grease over time leaving basically wax. .

Also sometimes the connections become loose. . To fix that and have a firm connection. . Use a jewelers screwdriver to lightly Pry on the connections of the relay socket so that the relay is firmer to push onto the socket. ..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Caspers Electronics is another good choice when replacing relays, sensors and connectors.

Check nos4gn.com they will most likely have the relays in stock. Here is a link to them.
http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/the-84/Buick-Grand-National-Parts/Detail

I would before even ordering clean the contacts and the contact blades on the relay with wd40 or maf cleaner. .

I found maf cleaner works well on cutting through the old dielectric grease.. The oils run out of the grease over time leaving basically wax. .

Also sometimes the connections become loose. . To fix that and have a firm connection. . Use a jewelers screwdriver to lightly Pry on the connections of the relay socket so that the relay is firmer to push onto the socket. ..

Thanks for the link, just what I need but, the local Car Quest I called in my area wants $21.50 for a relay but, doubt it's a AC Delco. I'll probably order the AC Delco relay but, I'll stop in Car Quest to see what brand it is. Thanks Again!

I'm not gonna bother cleaning the relay, it's all beat up and held together with a Zip tie....might be able to see it in the picture, not worth playing with.

You mentioned in your movie that you could wiggle it and it works work. .. Sounds a bit like a loose connection. .. It cannot hurt to clean the contacts first. . It may save you some coin ...

At the least I would clean and tighten up the sockets before putting new relays on. .

Good luck you will figure it out. .

Thanks for the link, just what I need but, the local Car Quest I called in my area wants $21.50 for a relay but, doubt it's a AC Delco. I'll probably order the AC Delco relay but, I'll stop in Car Quest to see what brand it is. Thanks Again!

I'm not gonna bother cleaning the relay, it's all beat up and held together with a Zip tie....might be able to see it in the picture, not worth playing with.

You mentioned in your movie that you could wiggle it and it works work. .. Sounds a bit like a loose connection. .. It cannot hurt to clean the contacts first. . It may save you some coin ...

At the least I would clean and tighten up the sockets before putting new relays on. .

Good luck you will figure it out. .

Yea, it may be both the wiring and the relay, the relay fell apart sometime ago but, still worked. I zip tied it together so, it's in ruff shape. I'm finally getting around to fixing it....correctly.