What size intercooler pipeing should I use?

JDEstill That was pretty complicated for me, but I got the jist of it. Looks like I only need 2.5 all the way around.
I dont really understand why the piping before the IC would work out better being thicker than after the IC...

I dont really understand why the piping before the IC would work out better being thicker than after the IC...

Well, in less technical terms, lets try this:
What does the intercooler do? Well, yeah, it cools the air down. duh :) What does that do? It makes the air shrink. You run the air through the intercooler to shrink it so you can squeeze more of it into the cylinders.

Same thing with boost. Higher boost compresses, or shrinks, the air so you can squeeze more of it into the engine.

So before the turbo you have a big volume of air - you need big pipes/throttle bodies to keep the air velocity reasonable. Then compress it in the turbo. Now that it has shrunk a bunch you don't need such a big pipe anymore to keep a reasonable velocity. Cool the air down in the intercooler and shrink it even more, and now you can use an even smaller pipe.

That's why pipe size can be stepped down from large to medium to small. That's also why it doesn't make much sense to go large - small - medium.

Does that help?

John

Man I would be happy if I could just get the damn thing on a trailer right now, lol. I luckily have one of the best GM tuners on the eastern seaboard just down the road here. As long as I could get a decent tune on it till I can afford a WB that is compatible with this ems then I will be a happy camper.

I hear that! I guess step 1 is getting your PC to talk to the ECU. I do have the instruction manual laying around here, do you have a copy? I can scan the relevant pages if that would help.

On the WB, norbs has figured out how to get the old DFI 6 to use a WB input and self correct. Pretty sure it was an LM-1 that he used. He's posted about it in the performance ecu section. I'll strongly recommend getting a wideband to use with your DFI, you are kinda flying blind without it.

John

2.5" will work fine, 3" isn't really going to do much more than take up space, then again, it depends what power you are making.

I hear that! I guess step 1 is getting your PC to talk to the ECU. I do have the instruction manual laying around here, do you have a copy? I can scan the relevant pages if that would help.

On the WB, norbs has figured out how to get the old DFI 6 to use a WB input and self correct. Pretty sure it was an LM-1 that he used. He's posted about it in the performance ecu section. I'll strongly recommend getting a wideband to use with your DFI, you are kinda flying blind without it.

John

John,
I did get a manual with it but not what I would call an instruction manual, lol. At the top of the page it says Chapter 5: Tuning with calmap. I don't think this is the first page, lol. So anything that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Awsome on the WB situation!!! I was hoping there was a way to have the DFI communicate with another WB with some calibration, woohooo!!

X2 on the WB I would never even attempt driving this car without one.

Thanks for the help,
dee

dee - I sent one of the manuals I have to the email address you have in your profile, the yahoo address. Chapter 5 of this manual is probably what you already have. Chapter 4 has some instructions on getting things to communicate. Hope it helps! I have another, older manual as well. We can look through it if the manual I sent doesn't help, though I doubt it will have anything different in it.

John

so what's happening dee? Did the manual help any? Figure out how to get the PC to talk to the ecu?

John

John,

I am sorry, lol. Yes I recieved the manual.(THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!)

Nothing yet but I promise I will keep you posted I will probably work on it this weekend. I think maybe I may have not had enough voltage at the ecu for it to communicate with laptop but enough to start it??? IDK man I really am going to try and get to it this weekend.

I also had another car in the garage working on it too that has been driving me carzy but thats another long (DSM) story, lol.

dee