What size turbo

jk kelly

On my stock gn what would be the best turbo size upgrade and injector size for the street, just taking small steps and want to keep it on the street and handle what pulls up beside me, not going to carry it to the strip. Going to put a fuel pump and hot wire on next weekend other than that it's stock with the stock chip.

Stock turbo will get you into the 12's easily and should be good to 22# of boost... TA-49 if you must upgrade will give you a little lag but still works with stock converter(2800 stall is recommended)... Or the new technology would be the 5857 turbo from precision which I believe is along the same lines as the TA-49... Best upgrade injectors should probably be 60# as they can take you into the 10's if thats where you want to go in the future... and don't forget the matching chip for your combo. Later do Alky Control Methanol injection, turn the boost up to 26# and save some money for a new transmission..lol

Hi I just went through this myself. First do a good spring cleaning, and take care of the fuel situation (A MUST) Good Pump, hotwire kit, 60lb injector's w TT chip, boost controller, TURBO: "PRECISION BILLET 5858" don't mess around with that old school TA49/TE44 stuff. The NEW 5858 is a SUPER BAD ASS STREET TURBO:) , and when tuned right will put the BEAT DOWN on any of those old TURBO'S so don't waste your money. The 5858 hits harder than the meanest GATOR NUFF SAID. Suspension: replace any worn shocks coil springs etc. New polygraphite bushings in the upper, and lower control arms with a new Hellwig tubular swaybar are great EFFECTIVE budget friendly suspension upgrades. Take your time, and don't rush anything. Don't be afraid to ask questions these guys here in this community can, and will save you a bunch of heartaches, and grief. Good Luck!!

Rob

Hi I just went through this myself. First do a good spring cleaning, and take care of the fuel situation (A MUST) Good Pump, hotwire kit, 60lb injector's w TT chip, boost controller, TURBO: "PRECISION BILLET 5858" don't mess around with that old school TA49/TE44 stuff. The NEW 5858 is a SUPER BAD ASS STREET TURBO:) , and when tuned right will put the BEAT DOWN on any of those old TURBO'S so don't waste your money. The 5858 hits harder than the meanest GATOR NUFF SAID. Suspension: replace any worn shocks coil springs etc. New polygraphite bushings in the upper, and lower control arms with a new Hellwig tubular swaybar are great EFFECTIVE budget friendly suspension upgrades. Take your time, and don't rush anything. Don't be afraid to ask questions these guys here in this community can, and will save you a bunch of heartaches, and grief. Good Luck!!

Rob
A turbo is a turbo...esp when your only looking at 11 or 12's. The 49 will still rip right into a 5858. Once you get into the 10's or faster...then you can decide new tech or ol' school. If you can get a nice 44/49 for the right $$$...grab it. The 5858 is too new and your not going to find a used one, so your gonna be out $1200 or so. You can find a nice 44/49 for $500 all day long if you keep an eye out.

Coach

Stock converter will limit you to very few

.............TURBO: "PRECISION BILLET 5858" don't mess around with that old school TA49/TE44 stuff. The NEW 5858 is a SUPER BAD ASS STREET TURBO:) , and when tuned right will put the BEAT DOWN on any of those old TURBO'S so don't waste your money. The 5858 hits harder than the meanest ........ Good Luck!!...............Rob

Rob, I am sure you are happy with your new turbo, but the "old school" 44/49 turbos were, and still, are one of the best turbo upgrades from stock especially when done with the Garrett exhaust housing and the proper supporting parts.

The turbo selection is only one part of the RIGHT combination to take a street GN from stock to a "BAD ASS" street car. ;) The problem is the owners budget, it does get expensive, so the temptation is to cheap-out on some parts, or go for parts that will not do the job properly.

I am sure some of our 20 year old GN builds with a TA-49 could show you the way home with your 5858 on the street or strip! :D

Im with nick the 44/49's are all you need heck, reality is new tech is nice but in the big picture most are just spinning the power away from lack of traction even with stock turbo. Get the basics covered ...youll be surprised what the stock turbo.will do around 22 psi, decent timing and a 1.5 60'

TE44 or TA 49, A 3"thdp style downpie, an upgraded big neck stock location intercooler and old school ford blue top 36# injectors with the correct chip and some good gas mixed in with the boost turned up to 22-24 # was the best driving street set-up by far for the person who wants a good all around streetable car that was just plain fun to drive. I did several of these for some guys and they all drove very well. This is assuming a fuel pump upgrade and everything else is in proper order. If you are not going to turn the boost up a bit and do these other mods I dont think you will see any improvement over what you have. These cars are really combination specific for best results.

Without adding race gas or alky to allow you to run more boost, you will see no gain by switching turbos. Around 20 psi you will see the bigger turbo start to shine.

Right about the time your wife packs up the kids or your girlfriend skips town for a dude on the net...you'll have spent enough to really have it Haulin' ass!!!

While your teaching here, what do you mean by "especially when done with the Garrett exhaust housing"? And reading in turbo section I saw a reference to Ported Shroud option on Precision Turbos. What is the ported shroud option? And one last question. I have an old tubonetics stage 3(?) turbo. What is it and is it comparable to anything else? TA 49 maybe?

Right about the time your wife packs up the kids or your girlfriend skips town for a dude on the net...you'll have spent enough to really have it Haulin' ass!!!
Amen to that my friend, never mind the 200 pairs of shoes or $$$$$ worth of jewelry in the closet!!

It's hard to argue against a 44/49 turbo when they are easy 11 sec turbos on stock motors with the boost turned up a little....and like others have said.. Can be picked up used in the 500 dollar range....

Leave the stock turbo, do u have a cold air intake yet? Adjustable wast gate?...buy 60 lb injectors from turbo tweak with an e85 chip! 22 lbs of boost and u will be amazed at how well it will run! Best band for the buck!

While your teaching here, what do you mean by "especially when done with the Garrett exhaust housing"? And reading in turbo section I saw a reference to Ported Shroud option on Precision Turbos. What is the ported shroud option? And one last question. I have an old tubonetics stage 3(?) turbo. What is it and is it comparable to anything else? TA 49 maybe?

Garret housings spool much faster.. The ported shroud refers to those holes on the cold side of the newer turbo. Its supposed to help eliminate surging as I understand it..

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my car was stock I did injectors a TE-66 and then a converter....lots of fun on the street;)

I have more stuff done now and went with a a roller cam a few years ago but I still run an old school TE-66 and not much boost16-17psi on the street and it is so much fun my drag radials hate it :D the car is totally different animal 20psi +

My point being is decide on your goal and budget first then make your move......also even know the new stuff is cool old sh8t still works great!:cool:

TE44 or TA 49, A 3"thdp style downpie, an upgraded big neck stock location intercooler and old school ford blue top 36# injectors with the correct chip and some good gas mixed in with the boost turned up to 22-24 # was the best driving street set-up by far for the person who wants a good all around streetable car that was just plain fun to drive. I did several of these for some guys and they all drove very well. This is assuming a fuel pump upgrade and everything else is in proper order. If you are not going to turn the boost up a bit and do these other mods I dont think you will see any improvement over what you have. These cars are really combination specific for best results.

I am late to the party! Just read this, This is my current setup and I am loving it.
In the future I am going to go with 60lb inj. and a E85 chip!