What spark plugs to use?

B

Black Ice

I'm getting ready to put in the SMC kit & the new V-4 next weekend and need some advice on spark plugs.My combo will be as follows:
TE-44 w/.63
009's
SMC alchy kit-single nozzle
V-4
THDP
ATR single shot
adj fp reg
hot wire kit
K & N

I have been using AC 43TS plugs gapped at .035 and they worked great, but didn't know if that plug will still be good after adding the SMC kit & V-4.I will be using 93 octane gas.Any help would be appreciated!!!

Black Ice

usually with spark plugs you know when they aren't working ;-)

The ac'43's are fine. If you find that you are getting transitional knock, try going to .032. Then let me know if that worked...:)

I like the A/C CR43TS's with a similar combo.

I use them in both cars. Tight .035" gap.

No problems yet.

If I decide to try the Autolite 23's,should I still gap them at .035?

Black Ice

I like to gap mine close for high boost. .30 to .32.
You can't go wrong going with .32 to .35.

:confused:
I use Autolite 23s.

Has anyone tried the iridium plugs? I'm interested in the results.

DENSO Iridium plugz

I called the folks at DENSO to get some application cross reference and tech info on using these plugs in a turbo application.
Well, as usual, I was talking to a guy that tried reading me a bit of info that had absolutely no value. I quickly came to the conclusion I was wasting my time. He then referred me to their "website". It too was worthless.
A past issue of "RACE PAGES" had an article in it that told of Duttweiller "saving the day" for a big time FORD guy by using these plugs on a 700" blown Ford.
I guess we're on our own, unless someone has had better luck at retriving some info.:confused:

Back to changing the plugs;)

I'll try to post fr home, I'm at work now, the proper Denso plugs to use in the TR.

NGK also makes iridium plugs, I had them in my camaro and they worked pretty good but for power adders I would stick with copper plugs. They have less tendency to hot spot from what I have heard from people running nitrous and SC in camaros

plugs

I have tried ac-autolite-champion. None of them work as well as NGK--UR5, gapped at 32-35. Alky or no alky, these plugs are the best for a turbo car ---IMO. I had heard that they take less voltage to fire them. I was at the performance parts show at Indy last weekend and talked to an EGK rep. He told me this also.
Some places they are hard to find. I buy mine from the local NAPA store.

thanks for the plug info LEE im getting a miss at high boost and im sure its ign. startsaround 25# so im going to try out the ngk's since im down to 030 gap on my ac delco cr43ts plugs

I show Denso plug for TR to be IW20.
Dutweiller picked up almost 700hp & could up the boost by 17 lbs with no other modification than Denso iridium plugs. I'd still like to hear from someone using them in a TR $11.99 ea is steep.

i went to denso sight and it says use ITF20 plugs for a 87 buick v6 with vin 7
but do you need to go a step colder?
if so what number then?
OJP