What's inside of a powermaster pump?

Mike T

Looked around a bit and could not find pictures of what's inside of the pump itself. IE seals and actual moving parts.
I've separated a pump from the motor which was really easy to do but disassembling the pump itself is a little tough.

I know they aren't meant to be rebuilt I just want to see why something that seems kind of simple cost so much.:)

The pump has a large internal clip on the outboard side that looks like it would come out if the center section was pushed in a bit.

Attachments

• 20180806_125457.jpg
    20180806_125457.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 64
Thank you for posting the detailed pics of the master, very helpful visual. Looks like a couple of O-rings are totally gone on that one.

Probably wasn't totally clear but at the moment I'm more curious about the pump that attaches to the electric motor.

If the cores hadn't been so damn valuable I'd have shot both of mine to oblivion with a high power and you could've had what was left to examine. I sent one to kirban and sold one here as untested. Hope it worked for the poor bastard still trying to run one but never heard from him.

The pump has a large internal clip on the outboard side that looks like it would come out if the center section was pushed in a bit.
Never went further in fear of ruining the pump. 20140706_120435.jpg20140706_120456.jpg

Never went further in fear of ruining the pump. View attachment 326030View attachment 326031

That's right where I'm at too. The shaft end that you have shown in the photo has a ball type shaft bushing. I'm guessing it's there to allow for any misalignment between the pump and motor. If you look deep into the shaft hole it looks like there are a couple of shaft seals in there as well.

The opposite end is where the retaining ring is that appears to be where it would come apart. I actually compressed it a bit to see if it would release the ring but no luck.

I took one apart once years ago. There is a round disc driven by the motor. That disc is offset from a round area
that the disc is inside of. There are slots on the disc. There are carbon tines in the slots that slide in and out radially.
As the disc rotates, the tines are held to the outside of the round area. As the disc rotates, the area between the tines
gets smaller because of the offset, which forces the brake fluid to become pressurized and it exits out a hole. Once
past the hole the area between the tines gets larger and fills with low pressure brake fluid and the process repeats.

Sounds similar to our transmission front pump design on a small scale.