What's my GN worth?

BuickMike

Money pit
Not looking to sell, but I'm curious as to what people would be willing to pay for it in its current shape. Here's the low down.

'87 GN, 133K miles, T tops, PDL, PW, remote adjustable mirrors, power drivers seat, posi, ac, concert sound.

The good:

Mods are below. The turbo has maybe 4k on it, the trans has 1k miles, I just boxed the rear control arms and put in HR Parts bushings, Convo Pros with BFG rubber, S10 rear cylinders, line lock, Autometer boost, oil, and temp gauges. Alkycontrol kit, Caspers knock gauge, Walbro 340 FP and Racetronix harness just installed. New stock replacement cam, lifters, and valve springs have a year on them. Most sensors are pretty new. Car will run 11's on alky next time around. Clean carfax.

The bad:

Paint is checked REAL bad. It needs a paint job. Minor dings here and there. Front seats are torn in the seams. Sun visors need replacing, top of dash is cracked, T top plastic is cracked.

I've entertained the thought of selling it and looking for a TTA, but I still love the car and am thinking that I've got enough into it that there's no turning back.

5 thousand, maybe more? I have seen really junky cars go for a lot and really nice cars given away. Sometimes it's hard to tell. :)

10 bucks...

I'll be over to pick it up in 5 minutes :biggrin:

j/k... It's only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

AZ Vic said:
10 bucks...

I'll be over to pick it up in 5 minutes :biggrin:

Please don't try to low ball me, my car's worth twice that much!!! :biggrin: :D

I'm interested in getting more feedback. Don't be afraid to tell me how much you would lay down for my car. Like I said, I'm just curious.

BuickMike said:
Not looking to sell, but I'm curious as to what people would be willing to pay for it in its current shape. Here's the low down.

'87 GN, 133K miles, T tops, PDL, PW, remote adjustable mirrors, power drivers seat, posi, ac, concert sound.

The good:

Mods are below. The turbo has maybe 4k on it, the trans has 1k miles, I just boxed the rear control arms and put in HR Parts bushings, Convo Pros with BFG rubber, S10 rear cylinders, line lock, Autometer boost, oil, and temp gauges. Alkycontrol kit, Caspers knock gauge, Walbro 340 FP and Racetronix harness just installed. New stock replacement cam, lifters, and valve springs have a year on them. Most sensors are pretty new. Car will run 11's on alky next time around. Clean carfax.

The bad:

Paint is checked REAL bad. It needs a paint job. Minor dings here and there. Front seats are torn in the seams. Sun visors need replacing, top of dash is cracked, T top plastic is cracked.

I've entertained the thought of selling it and looking for a TTA, but I still love the car and am thinking that I've got enough into it that there's no turning back.

How is the body... any rust current or ever?

The body is fine other than a few minor dings. This car has been in Arizona most of it's life, so rust is not an issue.

Basically, not to be a smart a@#, but the value on any collector car is whatever someone is willing to put in it. Who knows, you may advertise it for ten grand and someone may rip your arm off, whereas someone one here or who fools with these cars may not want to give 5000 for it. You never really know in the collector car scene. :wink:

6 sounds about right to me. Get a nice paint job and fix the seats and that will go up easily. I knew a guy that sold an 87 111,000 miles, stock except thdp and stainless dual atr exhaust for $11k.But the car was super clean in and out as if it had 30k on the clock. Looks get more money than speed to me, but diffrent buyers look at diffrent things. Just my.02!

Yeah, mods don't count for much in resale value. I'm sure I could return this thing to stock and get at least 5K for it. Regardless I'll be holding onto it and will continue to pick away until I get it looking good. I'm much better off putting 6K or so into a nice paint job and the needed interior pieces.

I am in the same boat and would rather spend money getting the car painted as opposed to spot repairs. I was cleaning the drivers seat back and busted the seams with the brush! :mad: Got that replaced and need replace a t-top panel that is cracked also. Cracked speaker grill,too. My paint is really nice but is bubbling on the quarters and need a drivers side rocker panel due to two quarter sized rust holes. See alot of us have issues here! :D

I think TR owners are too hard on judging other TRs, and low ball almost everytime. Junkers should go for $10K. Not that many were made, let alone exist. Go price Montes of the same vintage, or camaros or firebirds, then figure it out.

I think MCSS car owners are starting to be WAY over priced on their cars. They are starting to think they are equal to TR's. I work with a guy that has two MCSS's and I argue with him all of the time! I think you are right vader we might need to go up. If they can get $5k for a MC with a 305 I want $10K as is :D

I guess it all depends on what someone is willing to pay. I'm pretty attached to my car because I spent alot of time working all the bugs out and getting it running solid. Of course I have neglected the cosmetic aspects of the car, but the paint and interior were poor when I bought it. I think if somebody with more money than sense came along with $11 - $12K I'd let it go in a heartbeat and look for a clean unmolested GN or TTA. Not that it's going to happen. Then again I'd have to start all over getting the car to run right again. It seems like every stock TR I look at runs and rides like crap. It makes me appreciate driving my car that much more. I just wish I had a good friend in the auto body business. My brother-in-law owns a body shop....in Austria. :( He's damn good too.