What's this strange noise??? Suspension? Brakes?

XFactor

Recently I've noticed a wierd noise coming from my rear suspension (I think). I only heard a couple times.

First time, was when I was slowly (5 mph) turning (left turn) onto a small street while going down a small hill. The sound is a groaning/rubbing sound. Similar to the sound of a car driving off with the park/emergency brake still on. Not extremely loud, but noticable.

The other time was while slowly driving in open, grassy field (car show) parking my car. I was like "Damn, what the heck is that noise!"

Only common denominator is that when I heard the noise I was driving extremely slow and I was turning. Oh ya, and I had just come off the highway after driving about a hour both times. I never heard it during any normal city driving either.

Car has stock size tires and wheels. I"M BAFFLED!

when was the last time you changed the differential oil? sounds like that needs to be done.

I agree, sounds time for a differential service. Don't forget the limited slip additive!!!

Even though my car has only 30k, it still should be changed?? And is it typical for the rear to make noises when it needs to be seviced??

Thanks

Every 7500 Miles...

I think I read a GM maintenance interval of 7500 miles for GEAR oil replacement! I don't know if this is a miss-print, but it seems after 8,000 miles I begin to hear strange rear-end noises when turning or backing up... Worse when things get a little warm.

When I change the gear oil, it goes away. I typically get to it every 10,000 miles or so.

FYI: Applied Technologies and Research sells a a bottle of pre-mixed gear oil for about $15 if you can't track down the proper additives.

XFactor, check out my Amsoil website address that is in my signature. You will find that Amsoil's Series 2000 Diff fluid does already have a limited slip additive in it. I personally added a bottle of the GM stuff just to be on the safe side since I often leave 2 strips of rubber @ a traffic light if provoked!:)