Whats wrong with my new maf sensor and translator?

geenex

I just purchased a new 3 inch maf sensor and translator from full throttle. I set the switches on-on-on-off base setting to #3 and wot to #1. When i first start it it seems to run ok, not much difference from the stock maf sensor. If i turn it off and restart, it will not idle and stalls maf reading on the scan master drops to about 3 where it was 4 or 5 on intial key cycle. I tried changing ajustments on translator and it seems to get worse-note i did disconnect battery prior to any changes. Now i have a vehicle that can not be driven. If i plug in the stock sensor all is ok. Any thoughts????

A friend of mine had the same problem you are describing and he swithed back to the stock MAF and the car has been running fine ever since..Hard to figure when though..You try to upgrade to newer better components and they cause more problems than the old stuff..I'm still running the stock maf and so far ok...Good luck

I did try base setting at 0 and i also tried wot at 0. The version translator i have is 6.25. What i can't understand is why it runs decent when i first installed it then i took it around the block -turned it off the restarted and it would not idle and ran like crap.

rick i did try the base setting at zero. it acted the same as #3. it ran ok for the 1st key cycle but on the 2nd key cycle it would not idle or run properly at any throttle position

Very odd. Do you get a check engine light when it runs crappy?

Make sure the translator plugs are plugged in right. I think it's possible one can be plugged in upside down.

What chip are you running?

no check engine light/the connectors are plugged in to lock in(possible the wires are in connector wrong)/the chip is a red armstrong

did you reset the computer when you installed it? if im not mistake someone told me that anytime you make an adjustment to the translator that you have to reset reset the ecm. oh and is the maf facing in the right direction?

3" maf / translator settings

on on on off base #3 wot#0 these setting are right from the instruction book, remeber the dip switch settings are for chips other than the extender and extender extreme If you use one of their chips the first four dip switches are set on on off off for the extender and on on on on for the extender extreme, these are for the 3" maf!!!!!:)

had problem with mine and it was a bad maf sensor and it was new...I would replace maf sensor and send in translator to have it check for short circuit..If you hook it up wrong it can short circuit maf/translator..

I agree

I also had the same problem it turned out I was sold a bad maf sensor try another one. Ask around if any of your buddys have a known good 3 inch maf. I ended uo buying one from a fellow board member.

3.5 sensor is a better sensor than a 3 in. I have had several go bad also.