whats wrong with this thing?

highboost

well this is the biggest turbo set up i have dealt with and i am having troubles reaching my goal of 11.70.this is a hot air car with a front mount I/C
1st heres what i have done, coated forged pistons, moly rings, line honed block w/ main studs installed,resized rods w/ arp rod bolts installed, balanced rotating assy,208/208 hyd flat tappet cam,home made js man. hot air intake kit w/ proted lower(port matched to felpro 1201 intake set,heads ported(bowls blended,port matched to felpro 1201 intake set),block is decked .015,hv oil pump, billet double roller t/c,009 42.5# injectors,limit TE-60 turbo, front mount ic,custom mad cold air kit,3000 stall, turbo tweak hot air chip.
launch at 15psi and about 2750rpm 2.64 60' 13.94 @ 97mph is the best i can get from this thing :mad:
any ideas or suggestions?

20 PSI by 60' mark
spools great it just wont run a good ET that i think it should.
and atleast i dont think 11.70 et is out of line with this setup? do you?
at worst i would say a low 12.?????????

Are you using any kinda scanner or turbolink.... if not youre just shootin in the dark... what are your egts, fp, O2 readings, maybe you are knocking and computer is retarding - you got any other info?

Do you have any scan numbers? I'm not familiar with hot-airs, but a TE-60 at 20# of boost should go faster than 97 mph.
I noticed a 15# launch and a 2.6 60' - are you spinning the tires all the way through the 1/8th? What is you 1/8th mph.

Didn't notice what you are using for headers, downpipe, and exhaust. The stock '85 stuff is restrictive. If you have a free flowing exhaust, I'd look at the cam timing. Did you degree ( phase ) this cam? What are you using for fuel supply? Might be starving your combo, as that turbo should push you into the 11's with the correct tune. Brian

That 60' time is killin' ya. What are you using for rear tires? You should be in the 12s w/a good launch and tune easily. As posted: what are your readings?

im using stock headers, a ATR up pipe, stock down pipe :( because nobody make a down pipe any more for hotairs, hooker cat back,3"test pipe.

rear tires are 275/50/15 nitto drag radials, no tire spin

FP is steady 44# line of at idle, jumps to about 50 on throttle with a hotwired walbro 340 pump.

no timing retard as per direct scan. i dont remember what all the readings were as the direct scan wasnt mine but we saved it on the guys comp so i can have him email it to me and post it for you guys.

A 15# launch with no tire spin and a 2.6 60' doesn't add up???
Need to know your KR, O2, and MAF readings.

Stock pipes are a problem---They are choking your performance. On a hot air, headers would be my first mod.

FP should rise 1 lb above static for every lb of boost you run. If I understand your statement correctly, your FP increased 6 psi at WOT. As an example, if you are running 15 lbs of boost, your WOT FP should read 59 PSI ( 44 static + 15 lbs boost = 59 psi ). If the above is true, you are starving for fuel. HTH, Brian

Fuelie600 said:
Stock pipes are a problem---They are choking your performance. On a hot air, headers would be my first mod.

FP should rise 1 lb above static for every lb of boost you run. If I understand your statement correctly, your FP increased 6 psi at WOT. As an example, if you are running 15 lbs of boost, your WOT FP should read 59 PSI ( 44 static + 15 lbs boost = 59 psi ). If the above is true, you are starving for fuel. HTH, Brian

LOOK into this he's absolutely right if your talking about running 20lbs of boost and getting only 50 psi fp at wot you are looking to blow your engine up. I hope i misunderstood you when you said 50. Also if you are leaving on 15 psi of boost on drag radials and coming up with 2.6 60 fts with no wheel spin something is wrong - I can cut 2.1's on 3psi with normal bfgs all day on a wet track :eek: :eek: :eek: [maybe not] but you get my drift.

tlink data
blm's range from 116 to 138
maf range from 150 to 205
o2 volts range 4 to 766 mv
knock retard max was 2.1 deg
this is though the whole run.
i could be off a little on the fp, but i will have it to the track this sunday and i will get more readings on fp.

O2 volt range looks really low(lean). Does not look like there is enough fuel there to begin with. Also, the stock down pipe is actually a dual pipe. It is very restrictive. Find another down pipe. You have alot of turbo there getting choked off..

highboost said:
tlink data
blm's range from 116 to 138
maf range from 150 to 205
o2 volts range 4 to 766 mv
knock retard max was 2.1 deg
this is though the whole run.
i could be off a little on the fp, but i will have it to the track this sunday and i will get more readings on fp.

Yeah doublecheck FP at WOT - i think 02s are a little low - 780 would be better. MAF should probably be closer to 255 so again those numbers are low. BLM seems good. Maybe try a KNOWN good MAF sensor and see what happens.

dual pipe???????
i know i need a bigger down pipe but i cant find one.
esp says they will make me 1 but i have to bring them the car so that isnt feasable.
lee thompson,mease, or atr no longer makes them.

i was thinking 766 mv on the o2 was pretty good??? am i wrong?????
how high should it spike?

highboost said:
should i also try uping the FP to go with the other maf (i have a spare)?

I would try to eliminate one problem at a time. too many variables and you'll never figure out whats the real problem... just keep an eye on FP when youre on it. if you know you HAVE 44psi static and you are running, say 17 psi [yeah turn your boost down til we figure it out] - then MAKE SURE you have 61 at WOT. i would also suggest an audible knock sensor to help b/c you only have 2 eyes ;)

You can try raising the FP to see if your MV's come up. My feeling, however, is that you are short on fuel volume---not fuel pressure. Drop your boost down to a safe 15 psi, and see what your fuel pressure does at WOT in 3rd gear. If pressure falls even the slightest amount---STOP---and buy a larger fuel pump. Brian

only havin 2 eyes really sucks!!!!!!
i will drop boost to 15psi and change the maf for sunday and i will let you guys know how it does sunday.
thank you guys for the info and advise