When converting a regular Regal....

I'll be driving her to Columbus, Saturday, for Buick Horsepower Nats.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 418
I have a question for you guys. I have a guy who has a 87 Regal with the 3.8 non turbo motor, and wants to install a 87' 3.8 turbo motor in it. He wanted to know could he use the trans from his non turbo 3.8?

I have a question for you guys. I have a guy who has a 87 Regal with the 3.8 non turbo motor, and wants to install a 87' 3.8 turbo motor in it. He wanted to know could he use the trans from his non turbo 3.8?

If his non turbo trans is a 3 speed auto TH-200 (has a square pan with a corner cut off, held on by 11 bolts and has the word "metric" stamped into the pan), I would not use it with a turbo 3.8 because they (TH-200) are one of the weakest trannies used....and a turbo 3.8 would certainly blow it apart the first time he tried to get on it.

If your friend has access to the car the turbo 3.8 came out of, his best bet would be to grab the original 200-4R trans, 8.5 rear, the gas tank, exhaust, intercooler, the wiring harness.....yeah there's a lot to converting a non turbo car to a turbo car.

If his non turbo trans is a 3 speed auto TH-200 (has a square pan with a corner cut off, held on by 11 bolts and has the word "metric" stamped into the pan), I would not use it with a turbo 3.8 because they (TH-200) are one of the weakest trannies used....and a turbo 3.8 would certainly blow it apart the first time he tried to get on it.

If your friend has access to the car the turbo 3.8 came out of, his best bet would be to grab the original 200-4R trans, 8.5 rear, the gas tank, exhaust, intercooler, the wiring harness.....yeah there's a lot to converting a non turbo car to a turbo car.

Were doing the converting at my shop. I've done them before. But this is the first where someone wanted to use a non turbo trans. I believe it is the TH-200, which I know is junk. Thanks guys.

When changing over a non-turbo Regal to a turbo. Do I need to swap out the non-turbo A/C box out for a turbo A/C box to keep my A/C? And also what is the difference between the two? Thanks.

A/c

you don't have to change the A/C box, but you will have to used a new dryer from a non-turbo car. You will also have to use two plastic elbows on the heater core brass pipes to connect to the heater hoses.

When changing over a non-turbo Regal to a turbo. Do I need to swap out the non-turbo A/C box out for a turbo A/C box to keep my A/C? And also what is the difference between the two? Thanks.

There is a difference between the turbo AC box and the non turbo AC box. The turbo box is smaller and has a heat shield, while the non turbo AC box is much larger. I'd switch the boxes if possible.

I chose the non AC box from an El Camino. I don't use AC and it cleans up my engine bay nicely! You have to be careful that you get the non AC controls, all of the venting, all of the levers, the fan, and the glove box. Its all different. Plus you have to do some simple rewiring under the dash. You have to find the power brown wire and move it to the top position of your non AC fan switch.

Stock boost PSI?

Stock turbo, 19 lbs of boost. I was handicapped as I couldn't build boost at the line. I pushed through two lights and left from idle for the 13.90 pass. I'm going to make two changes.

1. Swap out the 12" 2200 stall torque converter for a Pat's 10" 2500 stall lock-up converter.

2. If need be, install a catch can from Summit. I'm using a vacuum brake booster. I think I can use a little more vacuum at the line.

Added another option today, courtesy door panel lights. I've got the perfect mix of race & luxury options now. Who can beat this option list:

Non-AC
Manual steering
Power doors
Power windows
Map Light
Coach Lights
Cornering Lights
Courtesy Door Panel Lights
Internal controled mirrors
Concert Sound II
Cruise Control
Intermitant Wipers
Tilt Wheel

'Cause with DK, I Build It My Way!

This project has just been an absolute blast. I can honestly say I drive this car every day in all weather with no regrets. Life is Good!

So does that mean you're going to drive it up this coming weekend? It's the big campout at Miola, you know.

Anyway Dave, I changed the oil in the GS, armoralled the interior and roof, put a different air cleaner on (since I want to keep the GS cleaner in "as is" condition--those things are worth about $300 now) and I painted my $10 headlight bezels. I'm going to try to get new exhaust on it this week. Things are looking up for the GS.

BTW...I think I cracked a header on the T-type. I'm losing about 4lbs of boost so it's probably a decent sized hole. That thing sounds horrible right now.

Yeah, I may show up. I've got a tent and a fast car. Pop that header off and get your neighbor to weld it!

Aside from getting this car running. I think its the next step for me to learn how to tune this car. Here are my readings. Can someone give me an idea of what adjustments I can make for better performance? Here are my readings at idle:

O2 320-656
AF 05
L8 37-41
bAT 13.4
INT 127-133
BL 121
CLT 162
ATS 111
RPM 750
TPS .46
IAC 37

Those idle numbers look pretty dang good..Your fuel pressure might need a little adjustment. What is it line off at idle?

Thanks Jason

I am having problems with the fuel pressure. I'm at 41 psi with the Casper's Hot wire kit unplugged. I my fuel pressure gage is all over the place with the kit engaged. Any ideas?

Update

I found this problem a long time ago. The relay went bad on the Casper Hot wire kit. Outside of this problem, the MAF sensor went bad. I replaced the horn ring and the glove box switch fell out so I replaced the glove box. I also had the rearend rebult. It was perfect timing as my bearings were about finished as I had almost 190,000 miles on it from both cars.

I'm getting ready to turn 134K miles on the project car. That's 43,500 miles since I completed turbo swap. I'm looking to do a repaint and remove the Landau.

You did a very good job on the car. I remember you started this at the same time I got my we4 and the thread helped me out some. Question for you, what did you end up doing for a test pipe on your exhaust? I have the same setup-hooker and thdp.

Test Pipe

I initially used the 2-1/2" Hooker test pipe. I had to have an exhaust shop use a tube bender to stretch out the connection to 3" to mate with the THDP. I ended up replacing the Hooker test pipe when I found a 3" test pipe at the Bowling Green Nats a few years back. After I made the swap, I picked up a couple more MPG's on the gas mileage!:D

That's funny, samne thing I did with the test pipe lol! I take it all the test pipes have the same flange so it doesn't matter where I get it from, right?