Where to get a Piston ring tool?

RED LS1

My brother is putting together a motor for me and I need to find a ring compression tool. Can these be rented fromt he Autoparts store or what? Is there a certain size I need for the Buick motor with standard piston/Rings.

thanks

Sorry if this sounds rude but if your brother is Building your Motor he should have a ring compressor or at least know where to buy one. They are $15-$20 at any auto parts store.
This makes me wonder how much experience he has with these motors or motors in general if your asking a question like this??

Not rude at all. I was expecting the question.

When he built his motor (109 W/ Champ alluminums and intake, 210 cam, T-66, XFI etc.) he borrowed the tool from his buddy at the machine shop. That was a few years back. He said he thinks he has one at work but has to double check. He has built a bunch of motors and Transmissions for a lot of local guys that have never had an issue. His Buick runs fantastic with the XFI and no issues.

If there $15-20 anywhere I was thinking I could just buy one and have it ready to go so that I don't waste a day not having a $20 tool. My time is very valuable these days and time wasted on not having a tool is unacceptable right now.

Here's the kind of compessor I used, and it works great! Costs about 8 bucks.

Attachments

• 100_0725.jpg
    100_0725.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 116
I got one all metal with a big cup for under $20 up here so you should get it for less.
Also saw some round tapered plastic type cups for less $$$ but size specific.
Jegs or Summit have a few or just hit the local parts store.
Good Luck with the build!