Where to learn tuning basics

ssleeper94

will it run?
I'm going to be picking up an Accel Gen VI until I can afford a BS or FAST system. Where can I learn the basics of tuning our turbo cars, or tuning in general.

Thanks
Brian

Without the use of a dyno or wideband meter, your tuning is going to be all guess work. To rich you wont make no power, to lean it melts or blows a headgasket. If you buy an innovate wideband you can use it to tune and use it as a wide band on an gen 7+ ecu

I understand that, I just want to learn the basics, I'm goign to have somebody due the initial tune. I just want to understand how a/f, timing, fuel, and boost work w/ different settings.

you only can figure that out when you race the car? gen 6 is not a 5 minute tune job. You tryin to learn how to program it?

i have a copy of the link you posted, i am looking for the manuals that came with when it was new. Thanks for the response

Hey there SSLEEPER :) I am assuming you got rid of your SS for a Turbo car now? Did you get your Accel yet? If not I have one for sale along with a VIC if you need it.

Thanks, but I'm picking up the Accel this weekend. Yeah got rid of the impala sold it to my brother and got a 87ttype

Originally posted by ssleeper94
Yes, I'd like to know the relationship between everything

Really?.

Then you want to spend the rest of your life working on it.

A good start is finding a copy of Sir Harry Ricardo's *The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine*. The Googling for NACA, and read all the original research papers about piston engine design. The Hugh McInnes's book about Turbo/Supercharging. Then anything by Heywood, and then combustion theory by Glass. Might google for tuning 101, from the old DIY-EFI list. The a search here for the link to Abnormal Combustion. Then armed with that material, read some of the newer stuff by such experts as Corky Bell, and weed thru his opinions to get to the good info..

Then go to like the Nats, and talk to everyone that'll answer your guestions, or sit around and just listen. Listening is a long lost art, it's amazing what the Pros will let *slip* if you just listen to them, well, IMO....

Thanks Archie, I'll let you know. I'm going to have Dennis set the inital tune, but I wanna learn how t odo it myself.

Originally posted by ssleeper94
I understand that, I just want to learn the basics, I'm goign to have somebody due the initial tune. I just want to understand how a/f, timing, fuel, and boost work w/ different settings.

Check out www.EFI101.com, I took Ben's class and it is worth the money. He is good at explaining the stuff in plain english and showing you how it all works.