Which car should I buy?

GN138

Trying to decide on daily driver. Below are my choices so far:

1998-2000 Buick Regal GS (50k-70k miles)

1998-2000 Buick Century (40k-70k miles)

1997-2000 Pontiac GP GTP (50k-60k miles)

1994-2000 Honda Accord (40k-80k miles)

1994-2000 Honda Civic (40k-90k miles)

I'm trying to stay in the $10,000/ under range. Any suggestions? Looking for a comfortable car that has AC and smooth ride, trying to stay away from really small 4 cyl cars (will be heading over the mountains a lot), but the Civic seems to do well for my friend. Civic is also the most $$$ for insurance!

I was reading through the Buck GS board and the GS seems to have a lot of tranny trouble. Is this because they are being raced or is it a factory thing?

Thanks!

Originally posted by GN138

I dont know bout the Hondas, havent driven any. But I've driven the rest of those, except just a normal GP. Of the two Buicks an the Pontiac, I'd advise you go with the Century. Those are pretty nice. I believe the Regal has more power, but the interiors of the Century are, IMO, nicer. But thats just me.

Re: Re: Which car should I buy?

Originally posted by BlackBuick84
I believe the Regal has more power, but the interiors of the Century are, IMO, nicer. But thats just me.

The century is a base regal with no floor shift and most have hubcaps. They are also 3.1 vs 3.8 Supercharged. Get a Regal GS please.

I currently also have 2 Gtp's, and love them. The Regal GS is the same drivetrain, just a different look. It comes down to which you like better. They make for great everyday cars with some balls, and very easy to mod. The only tranny problems I've seen have been from the ones that abuse the piss out of the car.

Cool, I'd love to stay with the 3.8 engines, whether it's the GTP/GP or Regal. I was just reading some of the Buick Regal 3800 boards and it sounded like a lot of tranny problems going down.

At 70k miles, what should I pay the most attention to in the GTP/GS?

Thanks guys!

*The Honda's are tempting, but cost $30-$40 a month MORE for insurance compared to the domestics. Kind of offsets the gas mileage.

Originally posted by GN138

I'm trying to stay in the $10,000/ under range. Any suggestions? Looking for a comfortable car that has AC and smooth ride, trying to stay away from really small 4 cyl cars (will be heading over the mountains a lot), but the Civic seems to do well for my friend. Civic is also the most $$$ for insurance!

I was reading through the Buck GS board and the GS seems to have a lot of tranny trouble. Is this because they are being raced or is it a factory thing?

Thanks!

buy anything but the honda imo i hate them i dont care if they get 10000000000000000 miles to the gallon i wouldnt buy 1

My grandparents never owned anything except a buick. They usually bought the top of the line buick. Was cool in the old days, g-pa always had a 455 buick. I got a hand me down 79 buick park ave. Big block, crushed velvet seats enough room for 6 adults and a couple of kids. That thing was the mack daddy cruiser!! Anyway, he had a couple of 3800 buicks and never had a problem. Mom and dad have a 3800 century thats loaded. It is a very nice car. I was surprised. It actually has some pep even w/o the supercharger. I'd say go with any of the domestics listed. They are nice comfortable cars that will go and go and go if taken care of.

Then buy a 4dr honda :D ins. shouldnt be that much. spend a little bit more on ins. vs a lot more for gas.

My friend has an '00 Regal GS, and he spent WELL north of $10k for it (36 k miles I think it had). Awesome car, rides very nice (firm for a Buick, but hey, what isn't) and awesome acceleration. I think the GTP handles better, but is a stiffer ride. I love both those cars, and if I wasn't so hell-bent on buying a new car for my daily driver, I would've looked at a used one.
The Hondas will be better on gas, especially the Civic, but they're gonna be short on power. Unless you go with the V6 Accord, and then you better start looking EARLY 90s if you wanna hit that $10k mark. They're sweet cars, but big bucks.
I like the Buick GS myself. Think MODABILITY down the line! :D

on the grand prix check for front bumper damage/loose because it hangs down pretty far and it may have seen some curb check. Also, make sure any electrical gadget you want works (especially heads up display) they ain't cheap to fix.

Have you considered a Oldsmobile? I have a 98 oldsmobile Intrique that has 90,000 miles on it with the series II 3.8 that has not been in the shop at all, 0 problems. knock on wood! Plus, they are priced right.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
I got a hand me down 79 buick park ave. Big block, crushed velvet seats enough room for 6 adults and a couple of kids. That thing was the mack daddy cruiser!! Anyway, he had a couple of 3800 buicks and never had a problem. Mom and dad have a 3800 century thats loaded. It is a very nice car. I was surprised. It actually has some pep even w/o the supercharger. I'd say go with any of the domestics listed. They are nice comfortable cars that will go and go and go if taken care of.

Not trying to start a fight, but big block in 79 NOPE! maybe a 403 olds motor. 3800 loaded century NOOOOO! Centurys are 3.1's. If it's a 3800 it's a regal. Just wanted to clarify.:)

I thought the 403 was a big block. It was a pig I can say that. It had a little low end grunt, but it was a heavy car!!

My bad on the century. I don't know my modern buicks. They have a loaded LeSabre not a century. Like I said, it has some pep. It will squeel the tires from a stop if you push the gas down half way. It surprised me. I'm used to my little 2.0 turbo talon that you have to wined up before letting the clutch out.

May I suggest a nice 1987 rear wheel drive vehicle for that price range and features you desire. :) ;)

anything with a 3800 mill in it if taken car of is gonna last a LONG time. I just got my gramps a 200 lesabre, and its a really nice car (for a g-pa ride..)