Which drag radials?

1badTTA

Resident Smart A$$
ok, the sure-grip cheap radials that came on my car are worn out from one too many burnouts, which drag radial would you recomend. Really like to hear from someone who has tried both the Nitto's and the BFG's

TIA

Haven't tried the Nittos. But the general opinion seems to be that if you want more mileage, and average hooking go with the Nitto's. If you want the tires to wear out fast, but hook great, the BFG's. I beleive Mike Schoenfield has went low 1.60's on Nittos, and I have went 1.62's on BFG's. Take your pick.

The Nittos do work pretty good in the right conditions. If the track prep is good and there is a lot of VHT down you can get them to stick pretty well with a good burnout. If the track is slippery then your not going to do any better than normal radials. They drive really nice on the street and I am not affriad to drive in the rain with them unlike the BFGs, I have talked to more than a few people first hand that have either wrecked there car or spun out in the rain with BFGs.

My Best on 2455016s was a 1.62, I let a friend borrow my rims and tires and he went 1.59 on them :)

Best so far on Nittos for me is 1.65 with a few 1.6x launches. I usually have no problem cutting 1.7s. Been to 3 different tracks with the Nittos. 1.65 at one track, 1.69 at another, and 1.71 this past weekend. The last track was the slickest and required a little less air in the tires, 19psi compared to my usual 22psi.

Since I live in sunny Tucson AZ I am not all that concerned about the wet weather performance, but I am concerned about the life of them. I will probably go with the Nitto's since I can get them sooner (they are in stock). My best time with the cheap radials was a 1.980 60' with 11 other runs being around 2.10. It lounds like there is nearly a half second I could gain by using Drag radials so I will have to give them a try, if they dont help me much I will try some M/T ET Streets next.

Thanks for the help and opinions.

Update

Well I got the Nitto's installed yesterday, had to try them out at a stoplight. Without doing a burnout, I boosted up to 5psi and waited for the light, light changed and the car HOOKED harder than I ever felt before!!!! I figure if I can launch at 5psi on the street (at the track if I launch with less than 5psi the car will lag) I should be able to get 7 or 8psi at the track (brakes wont hold much more than that)

Well to say the least, I love them........ Thanks for the help.

I just put a set on a week ago and off to the track I go.I'll pst results tomorrow

J.

Originally posted by Razor
I just put a set on a week ago and off to the track I go.I'll pst results tomorrow

J.
Don't be surprised if you don't get great results the first time out. Mine scored me 2.0's the first time out. Same thing happened with my 96 WS6. After that though, look out. I went from the 2.0 to 1.69. They just hooked after that. Maybe they just need a little seasoning or something but they work great!

Hehe
well it improved drastically.I went from running 12.87,12.79 two weeks ago with 2.0-2.1 60's to
12.32 and 12.38 with 1.811,1.820 60's. Till trying to learn how to build up boost at the line.

Hope ya'll like the improvement.I sure did.

Stock turbo,stock injectors,stock fuel pump

Like wine..better with aging

1.731 60 foot at 18lbs tonite :)

OK, just checking, mine are still at 28psi, Discount tire had them at 35. Figures.

I have 245/50-16 nitto DR on T/A wheels for my GN.
I have went to the track twice (about 8 passes) and I couldn't get them to hook up for me. So I might be selling them unless I can figure out how to get them to hook up like you t-ta guys do. The only times they were on the car was when I went to the track so they have very few miles on them and they still look like they did when I bought them new. I am thinking about trying out the bfg's next.

Slow87..you have to wear them in a bit.Do a couple of massive burnouts to set the tires,bring tire air pressure to between 18-22 lbs(experiment) and practice launching the car.

If you just expect majic....it aint gonna happen.60 foot times are a result of track seat time.Those with the most seat time will have the best 60 foots.

And yes when the tires are brand new...they dont hook as well as when you've heated them up 4-6 times.If you look at my posts...you'll notice the traction has been improving.

Julio

Originally posted by slow 87
I have 245/50-16 nitto DR on T/A wheels for my GN.
I have went to the track twice (about 8 passes) and I couldn't get them to hook up for me. So I might be selling them unless I can figure out how to get them to hook up like you t-ta guys do. The only times they were on the car was when I went to the track so they have very few miles on them and they still look like they did when I bought them new. I am thinking about trying out the bfg's next.
I've seen this problem with the G-Body. My Dad raced his '84 Monte SS that he converted the trans and rear from a GN and couldn't hook with the Nittos. He tried everything that everybody does for suspension but it just wouldn't hook. He switched over the BFGDRs and the car loved them. No other changes were made but tires.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a few friends that got their nitto's at the same time. The only thing is they 2 of them have F- bodies 1 mustang and they had really good luck with them. Well the F- body guys saw alot better 60's than the mustang.

Are the BFG's meatier looking on the 16's. Thinking of street trim.
I think I am going to just get some ET drags for the track.