Which flywheel and clutch to get

Tungsten

i have a 1985 231 converting to manual tranny. I already have the bellhousing, now i need a flywheel and a clutch.

i found a flywheel from AA but it doesn't say for odd or even fire.
CF700010 160T Buick 231 flywheel

I also found this one from ta performance (TA_V2035) but i dont know the bolt pattern...
Billet Flywheels | TAPerformance.com

does anyone know if the boltpattern is symmetrical or asymmetrical? also is it a flat one or is it the one with the perimeter around the edge?

so now i need a clutch and im pretty set on getting a centerforce one. I just cant seem to find a match on their site... will a 10 1/2 cluth just bolt up?

any input at all would be appreciated, im so confused about this :confused:

edit: oops i also posted this in the wrong section :frown:

i have a 1985 231 converting to manual tranny. I already have the bellhousing, now i need a flywheel and a clutch.

i found a flywheel from AA but it doesn't say for odd or even fire.
CF700010 160T Buick 231 flywheel

I also found this one from ta performance (TA_V2035) but i dont know the bolt pattern...
Billet Flywheels | TAPerformance.com

does anyone know if the boltpattern is symmetrical or asymmetrical? also is it a flat one or is it the one with the perimeter around the edge?

so now i need a clutch and im pretty set on getting a centerforce one. I just cant seem to find a match on their site... will a 10 1/2 cluth just bolt up?

any input at all would be appreciated, im so confused about this :confused:

edit: oops i also posted this in the wrong section :frown:
I also converted to manual and i'm using a flywheel from the likes of 231 buick/chevy monza. they were even fire. might be able to actually get in a junk yard.i'll be using a centerforce clutch 10.4 in size using the Monza as reference for your searches. one thing i did was to have the flywheel balanced with engine balance job. this is where you might get into trouble. balancing the assembly is a good idea. the flywheel is asymmetrical. and it's not flat as noted. also consider a scattersheild.

Everything you need can be found at autozone for resonable prices.

use 1979 buick skylark for vehicle. this will make it evenfire.

flywheel is 105.00
Clutch kit, 174.99
pilot bearing is 3.99

Balancing is really reccomended for crank life, a stock clutch with hold all but the most aggressive engines, and I wouldnt turn a stocker flywheel faster than about 6K rpm.

A.j.

thanks guys! just what i was looking for :D

One last thing, the clutch kit will depend on the trans your running, as the kit I listed above will fit a 4 speed Saginaw, a T-5 will require a diffrent disk. I can help you with those part #s if needed.

A.j.

Interesting little article on the last page of Popular Hot Rodding magazine feb "09 about putting manual into Buick 231...some part numbers also.

Acually doc, You need to to check the splines on the tranny you plan to use. 10 spline is a gm standard (ford and chysler use it to) but there is also a 26 spline. The 75-76 231 is odd fire and the flywheel weighs about 18 lbs more than an evenfire. All of the buick engines are externally balanced so one of the flywheel bolts is off set to index the flywheel.

Acually doc, You need to to check the splines on the tranny you plan to use. 10 spline is a gm standard (ford and chysler use it to) but there is also a 26 spline. The 75-76 231 is odd fire and the flywheel weighs about 18 lbs more than an evenfire. All of the buick engines are externally balanced so one of the flywheel bolts is off set to index the flywheel.

sorry, im confused.... did I say something incorrect?

A.j.

Early t-5 uses a 10 spline standard and later ones use a weird one. You can use a t-50 (early version) and it bolts up no prob but make sure you align the bell housing to the flywheel with no more than .008 variation. You will crack the tranny if you don't. The later ones don't have that problem. I tore two ears off one because of miss-alignment.

Early t-5 uses a 10 spline standard and later ones use a weird one. You can use a t-50 (early version) and it bolts up no prob but make sure you align the bell housing to the flywheel with no more than .008 variation. You will crack the tranny if you don't. The later ones don't have that problem. I tore two ears off one because of miss-alignment.

Oooh I got ya, yea that is 100% true and an important fact to remember when setting up the trans.

Yea, the T-50 isn't very strong. I broke the case when I missed a shift and then foolishly crammed it into gear anyway. Got the case reinforced and fixed then promptly broke the internals. Not a good trans for anything with much HP. The gearing was killer though.