Which is worst???

Meanchicken, i appreciate what you are telling me but you stated that it is going to cost me about 6k to rebuild the motor in this car, but I can go to one of the vendors on this site and grab up a long block that is capable of like 400 hp or something and pay I think it was around 3500.00. That is a far cry from your 6k. The builder stated that he had a lot of experience with TR and would warr it for 90 days. Not long but that is what he said. I am doing my research. And thanks again but your numbers are a little off. I will continue to look.

Don't blow it off just yet....you need to consider what is included in that "just under $6K ($5800) tag.

The price I qouted is for a complete drop in turn key mild street engine (400HP plus)...better than stock (improved bottom end...), better head gaskets, mild cam, etc. set up perfectly...removed and installed by a guy who has been building these engines for 21+ years and made these cars go 8 seconds.

If you do the R&R yourself, you safe about $1K so ...now you're just under $5K.

Do some of the top end assembly yourself....you save a few hundred more....
getting closer to your magic number....

Re-use the intake, injectors, throttle body, water pump, etc.....you save a few hundred more.....we're not far off at all now.

Can you get one cheaper...sure....just saying....if you want to do it right ONCE....then you might want to pay a little more...ONCE...;)

Personally...I like to do it once and be done with it. Much cheaper in the end.

...also....a friendly reminder.
The title of this thread is "Which is worst"

I assumed you wanted to hear the worst news.;)

You need to ask yourself what your long term goals are for the car, do you want a high 12 second car or are you looking to run in the 10's ? My short-block alone is at around 6k now, but it is no stocker and is being built by one of the best in the biz (RPE in CT ). Was this cheap? To me it was, I only want to do this ONCE( as posted above) and be capable of a mid 9 if I want to turn it up that far. Did I overbuild for my purpose...YES, it is a street driven car that will occasionally see the track. I wanted peace of mind.
Is this overkill for most? Maybe. You need to set your goal and approach it from that angle. Just make sure that you have a reputable engine builder who is versed in Turbo 3.8 motors do your work or you will likely be very sorry.

Bryan

I understand what you guys are saying and I am not knocking you guys. up until 4 days ago I would have never thought I would have one of these cars. My goal is mid to low 11s as stated in one of my other threads. I understand that these are very specific engines and that they need to be built by someone that knows them and I am looking for that group. I do not want some insane 9 second car. It would be great but not what I am looking for. I really do appreciate what you guys are telling me and I understand that is the worst case. Sorry for getting defensive. I am not made of money, not saying you guys are, but that is not what I wanted to hear about my dream car but I know now that it may be a while before I get to drive it. Thanks again.

go to Auto Zone or a place like that .. You can get the motor quick (long block) and have the car running in no time !!

it might not run in a few months though... it probably has the NA crank if its a rebuild from NAPA, autozone, schucks etc... not to mention "professionally reconditioned" rods...

it might not run in a few months though... it probably has the NA crank if its a rebuild from NAPA, autozone, schucks etc... not to mention "professionally reconditioned" rods...

well thats what ya get when ya pay "peanuts" :p I know of a few that did live !! BUT guys drove them like little old lady's :rolleyes:

I understand what you guys are saying and I am not knocking you guys. up until 4 days ago I would have never thought I would have one of these cars. My goal is mid to low 11s as stated in one of my other threads. I understand that these are very specific engines and that they need to be built by someone that knows them and I am looking for that group. I do not want some insane 9 second car. It would be great but not what I am looking for. I really do appreciate what you guys are telling me and I understand that is the worst case. Sorry for getting defensive. I am not made of money, not saying you guys are, but that is not what I wanted to hear about my dream car but I know now that it may be a while before I get to drive it. Thanks again.

No worries, man!
You'll learn fast once you start digging into it.:D
It will definitely help to start networking and connecting with guys n your region who have been working on these for awhile so make sure you post up on your reginal board and get connected.

We're not made of money either.....that's why we have credit cards.:eek:

ok as stated in my other thread right now I am looking to go mid to low 11s. Would a stock rebuild get me there or do I have to go forged? Car was a 12.1 car with minor work done. Thanks guys

ok as stated in my other thread right now I am looking to go mid to low 11s. Would a stock rebuild get me there Thanks guys

stock motor can get the job done very easy .. my daughter ran mid 11s for years in a WE4 street beater she had :cool:

ok as stated in my other thread right now I am looking to go mid to low 11s. Would a stock rebuild get me there or do I have to go forged? Car was a 12.1 car with minor work done. Thanks guys

What grumpy said.... Turbo Buick Performance Build Ups/Recipes
Courtesy of Turbo Regal Web Site. Lots of other reading materials there that you would be well advised to take advantage of! :)

Edit: FWIW, proper use of the english language would dictate that the title of this thread be 'Which is WORSE?' :biggrin:

I found where my engine will be rebuilt right here in MN. It will have forged pistons, sotck rods and crank but I may need new stuff there so that is yet to be dteremined and a roller cam for some added extra stuff. Thanks guys.