Which rod bearings and SPS bolts

turbota440

Rod bolts and bearings

While converting to a roller cam and I needed to pull the heads for guide clearance I decided to check the bearings. There was no engine damage and the previous cam was just starting to show some lobe wear on two lobes. Engine was rebuilt about 55k miles ago at about 100k miles on the original motor. With at total of 150k total miles on the engine now. On rebuild I used factory .030 over pistons and reused the sps rod bolts torqued to 40 lbs ft. on reconditioned original rods.
Bearings used in the rebuild were Clevite 960 mains and Clevite 1228 rod bearings.
Clearances were checked at 1.5 to 2 thousands clearance. Engine ran well and very quiet. Front cover was massaged and always showed good oil pressure.

Looking at the bearings in the engine now shows
Some of the rod bearings show copper on top half only. I assume detonation. Bottom half of same rod are very good almost no wear showing.
Mains are in good condition showing very little wear. Thinking of replacing with new 960 P just because I'm here.

Questions are:

1. Should I use the wider rod bearings Fed Mogul 3755apa or maybe Clevite ??
2. With 150k miles on Rod bolts I want to replace with GM replacement bolt 25531956. Is this an SPS bolt and of equal quality to original? Reason is that I don't want to pull the rods out or rebalance the assembly.

Primarily 99% street car weekend toy now. When raced before was a 11.7 quarter mile car.

King bearings sold through Full Throttle Speed are what I always use. They're aluminum

the 3755APA number has changed. Get bearings for a '95 Park Ave 3800 and they'll be the correct wider versions.

Have the rod big ends checked for size and out of round. You need a good machinist with a precision rod gauge (Sunnen AG-300) to measure this properly. If you are experiencing unusual bearing wear, they may need to be resized. Rod big end stretch is normal on an engine that has miles and some hard use. The SPS bolts are plenty strong and work well. The rods should be resized to the minimum dimension (provides good bearing crush, bearing retention and heat transfer)

I like the Clevite 1228 bearings. I prefer tri-metal bearing over bi-metal. The lead based bearings conform better to the shape of the crank journal and are more forgiving in general. The 1228's are available in STD .010 and .020 but they are no longer available in .001 US.

Whatever bearing you choose, try to keep rod bearing clearance in the .0017-.0020 range and you'll have a happy engine.

Last edited: