Which route should I go

sent...well today i had a custom made 1 1/2" exhaust flange for my manifold...they didn't want to weld the pipe and flange to my crossover because they said it might not go back on...when it clears up im going to put the crossover back on then the manifold and use a marker so i will now the position...pics coming soon

im going to see if the muffler shop can put a smaller end on my down pipe if it doesn't work ill let you know..thanks anyway

well heres the pic of the adapter...i know its going to leak but this was as close as i could get it to fit into im able to drive this thing to the shop

Attachments

• crossover.JPG
    crossover.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 185
a 78 shouldnt be, as 77 was the last year - but the factory is known to use the last of there stock to eliminate it. heres how to be sure.......

look at the cap,if it is an HEI it will look like a V8 cap with 2 towers missing - thats an oddfire
86a.jpg

OR

pull the cap and rotor and look at the pick-up ring, it will look like 6 unequally spaced points.
25c.jpg

Hope that helps.

A.j.

ok i went to the junk yard at found a distributor off a 78 regal...it also has vac advance...but it didnt come with the cap...so i used my cap and the wiring harness from the distributor fit my cap without any problems...then i plugged the hot wire to the cap...i tried to crank it but it was shooting flames out so i tried to adjust the timing and the flames stopped but i couldn't get it to crank...ill try to crank it tomorrow after the battery charges up... also to which to non computer dont i just use a non comp disb and carb...or do i have to do something else

LOL, Aj there's an easier way to tell. On the shaft instead of 6 tips there will only be three. Lorenzo, Do you remember me telling you the easiest way to check timing a few pages ago? Same thing just remember 165432 for your firing order. Bring it up to #1 and set everything from there at say 12 degrees to start. You will need to adjust it but it's a good start.

yes i did that several times i line the line on the harmonic balancer to 0 and turn the distirbutor into the #1 spark plug terminal on the cap is head on with the rotor tip...also i notice that when i held the distributor gear then turned the rotor it was solid turning it one direction..but when i turned the distributor the other way the rotor twisted back around like it was a spring ...i didn't turn it hard just a little...but my computer distributor the rotor and the gear are tight no slack or springgy feeling...

ok i got it back running...had to remove the distributor and turn it alittle more...the damn edge of the intake makes me have to remove the dist to adjust past a certain part

update...got her to idle she's running good as hell only bad side is that i cant mount the power steering bracket because the vac advance is in the way

There the same. You may need to remove the distributor and move it one tooth. Are you using the funky torx head bolt on the left front of the intake? If not you've got the wrong bolt in it. This distributor used a mechanical advance and the rotor moves in relation to the advance of timing, that's why it moves.