Which service manual should I purchase?

Odog87

Which service manual should I purchase, the 74-87 haynes manual, 75-87 chiltons manual, or the 86-87 Buick Turbo Regal Engine Guide by Peter Hoffman or Dennis kirbans guide to 86-87 buick turbo regals? Which would be a good read/helpful tool to a person new to the turbo buick world?

I have the Chiltons manual. It's worth it. Lot of info. including separate chapter on turbos.
I'm sure there are other material more-in-depth. I have had my T since new and still finding out about it.

Other's will chime in i'm sure. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

I've found the factory service manuals have a good bit of information that some of the others do not have. I have a subscription to alldatadiy.com for several vehicles. This has some but not all of the factory service manual content. My first choice is the factory service manual but this usually comes at a higher cost (especially for older vehicles). books4cars.com has a pretty good number of factory service manuals. I have bought from them in the past - seems to be a decent operation.

I like the Chilton manual as well. It doesn't have EVERYTHING you need to know, but it is a great resource to help you through common projects. At least you can get an idea of what each task consists of before getting your hands dirty. I use the Chilton for basic stuff and the shop manual to get really specific information like wiring diagrams, pinouts, etc.

Kirban's book isn't a manual. It is more informational and won't help you with actually working on the car. It is loaded with facts, details and history about the cars and it is a great read.

The edited GM manual on CD by Jeremy Woods Just do a search for the CD on here. best $10 I spent for info & all the useless junk is edited for us.