who invented the volt booster?

Gnboy

if it wont flow force it
I would like to know how this piece works exactly and how it is made

yes I already own one I'm not trying to rip anyone off I would just like to know
IT is obviously controlled by the tps but how does it control the voltage & why couldnt you just run your voltage high all of the time

I believe it bypasses the regulator and gives the car full alt. voltage. Most of the electrical system can only take this higher voltage in short burst.

I understand it to be Hobbs switched, at 10 psi for the Red's piece and have Moby to do with TPS at all. Dunno who actually built the first one, but Red's has been marketing them for years. Beware if youy run Direct Scan/Turbolink though...when mine activated my ancient laptop had an electrical sh!themmorage and shut down, everytime the VB activated.
HTH
Jim

I've never had that problem with the turbo link& vb but I was more interested in how it bypasses the voltage regulatorand which wires do what how does the volt booster distinguish 70% throttle I know it reads the tps but how? what in the mechanism recognizes the voltage from the tps intern how does it bypass the regulator

Red's uses boost , Caspers' uses TPS to trigger the voltage increase. I don't think you want 15 Volts running through your entire electrical system all the time. I'm not even positive you want it any of the time although I am running one right now.

Sully

Don't own either brand myself, never will.

But to address how it "could" work with TPS is as follows.

Take a 5 volt output feed to the TPS sensor gray wire it is.

Use a couple of resistors to ground and the supply to set up a referance voltage of say 4 volts.

Put the tps signal and the reference signal into the 2 inputs of a CMOS chip comparator circuit.

Use the output of the comparator to drive a transistor buffer or else a sensitive relay that will turn on above the 4 volt TPS signal.

Use the ouput contacts of the relay to spike the alternator regulator or whatever they do to max. the output.

The one I saw (Reds) was an oil pressure switch, connected to the external voltage sense of the alternator. If memory serves me, he used the voltage drop from the idiot light. When boost is applied to the oil pressure switch, it closes the contacts, sending the idiot lamp voltage (dropped thru the bulb) to the external sense of the alternator. This dropped sample voltage, causes the alternator to increase output, and your volts are boosted.

There might be a resistor/voltage divider on there, I didnt cut it open, but it didnt look like there was.

The Volt Blaster that I use is the little box that is adjustable. I thought Bob Bailey invented this style. I first purchased them from Moderen Muscle.

Here is something for the "old" timers to see if they remember.

This device consisted of a ni-cad battery pack that was pressure switch activated that feed additional voltage to the injector and coil system(i think). 1988/89 was the last time I saw one and could be mistaken about all it supplied power to.
The unit was mounted under the dash.
I believe it was built by Red but not for sure.
It was pre alternator voltage booster.

Does anyone else remember :D

Gary

Originally posted by Black Car
Here is something for the "old" timers to see if they remember.

This device consisted of a ni-cad battery pack that was pressure switch activated that feed additional voltage to the injector and coil system(i think). 1988/89 was the last time I saw one and could be mistaken about all it supplied power to.
The unit was mounted under the dash.
I believe it was built by Red but not for sure.
It was pre alternator voltage booster.

Does anyone else remember :D

Gary
Seems like it was called a fuel enhancer,whatever ,I remember

I would prefer a system like the boost-a-pump from Kenne-Bell.

Only sends the high voltage to the circuit that needs it the fuel pump wire. Adjustable too.

I am sure Bob B.'s device is all electronic and triggered off the TPS and is prolly adjustable too. He does good work.

I don't think anything above 14.8 volts is healthy for my carz.

The Vplus booster we have at Caspers operates off of TPS. It looks for 70% tps, then triggers a divider circuit that raises the alternator voltage 2.2 volts over nominal, increasing the whole system voltage. At night, you can see the headlights brighten when you put your foot into it. The *real* advantage to boosting the voltage concerns your ignition system, NOT the fuel system. You gotta assume by now, you've upgraded your fuel pump and hotwired your car, so you have plenty of fuel volume even at 12 volts. But, the ignition system is the 'weak link' that requires an ever-increasing voltage to maintain spark integrity under heavy boost. The extra voltage provided by the booster compensates for the high-RPM-high-boost condition at the top of 3rd. gear where it's needed most. That is why it's good to boost voltage. Look at your scantool readings without a volt booster...the battery voltage almost always drops to 11 volts under full load condition. I've seen good ignition coils fail at 11 volts, and have seen bad coils work flawlessly at 14 volts, so it is critical to maintain full voltage/current across the range.
-John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com
Shop our website for December specials.

thanks john but I alredy own one of your boosters i know what it does and I like it. I am just curious about what goes into making one (I dont need another and have no intention to reproduce them) I just wanted to figure out how they work

thanks for the help

Originally posted by strikeeagle
No, no, it was Al Gore...

:D

Just wait - GM Hi Tech will have an article soon with Ron Josephe introducing a new breaktrough in technology for you TRs.....;)