Who Makes the best Water Pump

Polak420

Black Sunshine
I'm getting my timing chain and front main seal replaced. I figured if I get this done I might as well replace the water pump while all that stuff is apart. I was wondering what is the best water pump made for an 87 GN. Please post a link if you have one.

Thanks for any info,
Polak420

Good idea to replace...I did a complete rebuild and left the stock on.....3,000 miles later it was peeing :mad:

I don't think much is to be gained from going beyond stock unless your looking to go to an electric. Keep it simple and inexpensive for now....you can always upgrade later and it isn't a hard piece to change :)

....hmmm....I suppose there are some neat looking "stock" units that are for sale on the net that are chromed out.....but there again, BIG $$$$$.

Originally posted by Polak420
Isn't there an high output water pump to keep our race cars cooler than stock?

That's not really going to happen with changing pumps. The Buick cooling system is ALOT better then most cars, so while changing pumps will help a SBC, it won't do much on a TR. 160 themostat and good radiator should be all you need for adequate cooling. Goggling for Evans Coolant will get ya some great data about understanding what's really going on in a cooling system.

Originally posted by gnsrule
Autozone or Pep boyz if you looking for cheap, Napa if you want a good one tho.

I'm sure Napa carries more than one brand of water pump as do the other stores you mentioned. I just don't want people to think that they have to go to Napa to get a good or better quality water pump. I replaced my water pump about a year ago with a $20, new unit that I purchased at Advanced/Discount. It has a lifetime replacement warranty. Pay more if you want. :p

Any of the water pumps will work fine. What makes them last is what you put in them. Use only distilled water, as opposed to tap, and keep the antifreeze to a minimun. Only air movement, e.g. by dual fans, will result in cool temps during the summer heat in heavy inner city traffic with the AC on.

Originally posted by Polak420
Isn't there an high output water pump to keep our race cars cooler than stock?

Meziere electric pump ;) It's what I'll be going with :)

Originally posted by fast eddie
$82 holy s*it:eek: go with a stock aluminum pump 15-20 bucks with life time warranty

Downside of $20 unit is you might have to change it out every 100,000 miles or so. :(