Who runs this cam....

Yes, my completely untuned and slapped together car went 126 running out of fuel. Ergo, running properly it could never have run 130 w/o running 34-35 psi. Got it.

Boost gauge could have been off a couple of pounds...up or down.

30 psi is not a lot of boost for a T63e, as per John Craig. When i spoke to him on the phone back in the day he told me that turbo could efficently run 40 psi all day long.

On that day it would have taken that much. If you want to run that much boost with the p trim you will need an external boost controller and a way to apply compressed CO2 to the top of the gate. I agree it could be run up that high but it is overspeeding tremendously over 5600rpm on a 231ci at those pressure ratios. Maybe on a smaller displacement engine it would be fine at 40 psi. John knows his chit but it would not be the proper turbo to spec someone who planned on going 130+ with a 3500+lb car. I dont doubt you could have gone at least 130mph with it with under 30 psi but it would have been doubtful on that day even if the fuel was available. A member went 132mph with a tiny PT54:eek: . It can be done. The torque converter plays a great role in being able to achieve the higher mph at lower boost levels. A lot more than most think. More power means even more slip.

On that day it would have taken that much. If you want to run that much boost with the p trim you will need an external boost controller and a way to apply compressed CO2 to the top of the gate. I agree it could be run up that high but it is overspeeding tremendously over 5600rpm on a 231ci at those pressure ratios. Maybe on a smaller displacement engine it would be fine at 40 psi. John knows his chit but it would not be the proper turbo to spec someone who planned on going 130+ with a 3500+lb car. I dont doubt you could have gone at least 130mph with it with under 30 psi but it would have been doubtful on that day even if the fuel was available. A member went 132mph with a tiny PT54:eek: . It can be done. The torque converter plays a great role in being able to achieve the higher mph at lower boost levels. A lot more than most think. More power means even more slip.

Bro I'm not trying to argue with you but you don't seem to get what I'm saying. I'll give you a recap of how that day went.

It wasn't just a fuel issue I was dealing with that day.

The trip to the track was on impulse. I just installed the RA 107 chip (didn't remove all the MAF screens as recommended by Red with that chip), borrowed some slicks, got a couple of 5 gallon jugs of VP C16 and hit the track. I had never ran that kind of boost before and the car was not tuned nor had it ever seen a dyno. I owned a Turbo Link but didn't bring it with me. No Scan Master, knock gauge, just a VDO 30 psi boost gauge

On the way to the track through the closed exhaust, 3" single shot with Blowmaster muffler, the car was making about 16 psi of boost in 3rd, or so I thought. When I got to the track ( LI Dragway) I put the slicks on, drained the tank and filled it up with about 8 gallons of C16. I then uncapped the dump tube and left the track and took her for a spin on the road leading to the track.

I floored the gas and the boost jumped up to 27 psi. I was quite confused since i hadn't touched the ATR wastegate. I tried it again but this time stayed in it for a couple of gears...27 psi in 1st and 2nd. The car pulled nicely from a roll and wasn't breaking up so I said what the heck and headed back to the track.

So now I stage up and go through my procedure as the yellow lights start to drop. E-brake on, left hand on E-brake release, left foot on brake pedal, right foot on gas, right hand on steering wheel. I only stalled her up high enough to see 4 PSI due to the stock suspensions (front sway bar in). Green light comes on and I pop the E-brake, switch hands on the steering wheel and shift with my right hand. As I mentioned before, the tranny in the car was from a Olds 307 powered car and would upshift at 4000. I was shifting off the stock tach as soon as the tach would go into the redline. The tranny flared badly 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

I make a couple of 1/8th mile passes because back then you'd get kicked off for running faster than 11.99. I didn't have a cage or a driveshaft loop for that matter. The track was pretty slick and I decided to make a full pass when I felt I got the best traction. Best traction for the day was a 1.88 60'. The car felt like it pulled strong to me but like I said, it was the first time i ever ran it with race gas, high boost and slicks.

So I stage her up again and off I go. It felt like the car hooked up better than on the previous runs so I ran it out the back. Once again the tranny's flaring on the shifts and she lean popped 4 times in 3rd gear. I had heard of lean popping through the intake before but had never experienced it, thought I had screwed the pooch. I couldn't believe how hard the car pulled though, it felt like it was pulling harder in 3rd gear than it did in 2nd. I guess the 29 MPH I picked up from the 1/8th to the 1/4 explained that.

I popped the hood and was looking for bubbles in the overflow tank. No bubbles so i go and get my slip and start jumping around like a little kid when I saw the ET and especially the MPH. 11.39 at 126. I was running as quickly as my buddy's (trailered) big block Dart but had him covered by about 7 MPH. Yes, they warned me about going that fast w/o a cage. lol

I let the car sit for a while and capped the exhaust back up. Another buddy of mine had a 80 Z28 with a 468 and he said he wanted to run me. He told me he was going to grandfather me at the light. I said OK and instead of opening up the dump pipe up again I decided to crank down the wastegate some and run more boost capped up. We lined up and when the lights dropped guess who was looking at my back bumper? I was seeing about 25 PSI in 3rd during that run. We looked at our slips and Sonny Boy got beat by a tenth at the light and another during the run. So much for his trailered, stutter boxed launched **** box.

Fun stuff but it all went sour when I noticed a ton of bubbles in the overflow. Guess 14 PSI of BLOWMASTER back pressure in addition to the 25 psi on the gauge will do that. 39 PSI going through the motor. Remember, when i opened the dump pipe the boost jumped from 16 psi to 30 psi in 3rd gear.

Still had a blast though and it was fun passing the trailered street race cars as we were driving back from the track. :D

So in closing (phew, bet you're as tired of reading this as I am of typing it lol) here are the things that were holding me back that day.

1. I had 1 screen in the MAF. Red recommends to remove all screens but since I was using a borrowed chip i decided against it.

2. RA 107 chip pretty much runs the injectors static as soon as you go WOT. Car was rich in 1st and 2nd. Picked up 29 MPH from the 1/8th to the 1/4. It leaned out in 3rd due to #3.

3. 307 pump. A 255 liter pump but not a high pressure pump. Static pressure was set to 42 PSI and it spiked to 70 psi in 3rd gear but then started dropping. Hence the lean pops.

4. Slipping tranny/shifting off the stock tach.

A custom/adjustable chip would have allowed me to take some fuel out downstairs. 340 pump would have kept the lean pops away. Healthy tranny would also have helped ET & MPH.

There are other things that would have helped but I didn't have access to on that day.