why am i not blowing the tires off ?

john keskes

Guys, my goal is to keep the car as stock looking as possible with minimal $$$ dumped in. This is the combo i'm working with and a you tube clip of a quick run i did yesterday ( 78F temps ). Manually shifted at 4800 RPM.

It seems that it takes a while for spool up and hence it's not ripping the gums.
I want this car to spin it's wheels at will especially if I'm building boost off the line ! Motor has approx 6k on the rebuild. Idles great, No MAL codes. Don't know if has 100 lb valve springs.

Stock Long Block
Stock Turbo
Stock IC
Stock downpipe
Stock FP, not Hot wired
Stock Converter
245/60 BFG Radial T/A's
G80 posi

Mods:
37# delphi injectors
TT 5.7 93 street chip ( 20/18 deg, 16-18psi )
Gutted cat
Hooker 2 1/2 cat back
8" K&N behind front bumper
160 therm
-237 frp ( 43psi vac line off )

Scanmaster #'s during run shown : O2: 648 , 0.0 ret , BLM's 139 , TPS .42 / 4.24 WOT

I know , I know , i should throw the Walbro & Hot wire in ( it's still sitting in the package in the garage ) but you see from the vid i am pulling approx 58psi of fuel which should be fine for even 16psi of boost.

If I adjust the TT parameters to dump in more fuel and / or adv timing in first gear, will this get me a quicker spool ? Any suggestions I will listen!

Any header leaks? This can cause slow spool. Could also explain the pretty high BLM value. Also check to make sure the wastegate flapper is fully closed and sealing over the hole. If this is all correct, then mess with the tune.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

u need atleast the 42.5lb injectors which are called "009" armstrong & dump the stock converter for a 9.5" 3000 & she will ROAST EM!!!!! i just went thru this myself

He doesn't need those injectors to make it spool quicker. If he wants mid 11s power he might need them for fuel. OP if you want a bigger injector, I've got a set with two TT chips I'd let go for a good price. I'm upgrading and going for 10s anyways. But they are not needed for your combo now. Thoroughly check for header cracks or leaks near the turbo. If that is all set, I'd look at tune. Like I said above. You could also upgrade the torque converter, but a stock turbo spools pretty damn quick as-is.

Also could be a NA convertor. Pull the inspection cover off & note the stampings around the circumference of the torque convertor. If it's the correct factory D5 it should have 5's stamped all around the outside.
If not maybe you've got an NA convertor which will stall out at around 1675rpm and could explain the slow spool up.

Check the converter stamping at minimum. A stock turbo with hollow cat will spool fast really fast with a stick converter.

Also could be a NA convertor. Pull the inspection cover off & note the stampings around the circumference of the torque convertor. If it's the correct factory D5 it should have 5's stamped all around the outside.
If not maybe you've got an NA convertor which will stall out at around 1675rpm and could explain the slow spool up.

Good call guys, I didn't even think of that.

Good call guys, I didn't even think of that.

Just use your SM is see what your converter stalls at 0-1psi on the brake. If you're at or over 2200rpm before 1psi of boost, the converter is good for a stock turbo. At that point, I'd be looking at exhaust leaks. I know I cracked my driver side header and had problems sealing the crossover pipe even with my stock turbo which dramatically lowered my 60' times b/c of poor spool.

you called it KWIK. i just took the car out and watched the tach as i stalled it. only could get up to around 1700-1800 RPMs.. i just never noticed it before.. i'm always looking at the boost gauge. Well that pretty much explains why the car's short shifting in OD / D also.. I'm now 99% convinced that this car has a std 200 4R in it.. I bought the car like this & the previous owner did mention that he never beat on ( race ) the car so he was ok with the cars performance. Thanks again guys for all the info, this has saved me from chasing my tail.

you called it KWIK. i just took the car out and watched the tach as i stalled it. only could get up to around 1700-1800 RPMs.. i just never noticed it before.. i'm always looking at the boost gauge. Well that pretty much explains why the car's short shifting in OD / D also.. I'm now 99% convinced that this car has a std 200 4R in it.. I bought the car like this & the previous owner did mention that he never beat on ( race ) the car so he was ok with the cars performance. Thanks again guys for all the info, this has saved me from chasing my tail.

Sounded too close to home for me.
Well, I found I had the same scenario with my car.....slow to spool up & wouldn't break the tires loose. One day, I pulled the tranny inspection cover off & did not find a D5 convertor in there either....it had a 12" in it but was not D5. Guess the tranny was rebuilt by a transmission shop by the previous owner & I bet they just tossed in an NA convertor from a 200-4r. Glad you found it.

You can pick up a used D5 for cheap on the board, or for something a bit more exciting you could put a slightly higher stall in for maximum grin factor. Just be aware that it will come at cost though......as you'll be replacing rubber much more often (at least on the backs). LOL :)

I'm now 99% convinced that this car has a std 200 4R in it.. I bought the car like this & the previous owner did mention that he never beat on ( race ) the car so he was ok with the cars performance. Thanks again guys for all the info, this has saved me from chasing my tail.
What's the identification tag show?

Had car on the lift today - NO tags on the tranny, & "7" 's marked on the perimeter of the converter.. This tranny most likely a junkyard find that was rebuilt! junk converter & std 200 governor. yukk .. oh well. I'm gonna put this on the back burner and decide how i want to proceed.. At least I can still drive the car around!

You could find someone dumping a D5 pretty cheap. I'd throw that in for the hell of it.

Guys, my goal is to keep the car as stock looking as possible with minimal $$$ dumped in. This is the combo i'm working with and a you tube clip of a quick run i did yesterday ( 78F temps ). Manually shifted at 4800 RPM.

It seems that it takes a while for spool up and hence it's not ripping the gums.
I want this car to spin it's wheels at will especially if I'm building boost off the line ! Motor has approx 6k on the rebuild. Idles great, No MAL codes. Don't know if has 100 lb valve springs.

Stock Long Block
Stock Turbo
Stock IC
Stock downpipe
Stock FP, not Hot wired
Stock Converter
245/60 BFG Radial T/A's
G80 posi

Mods:
37# delphi injectors
TT 5.7 93 street chip ( 20/18 deg, 16-18psi )
Gutted cat
Hooker 2 1/2 cat back
8" K&N behind front bumper
160 therm
-237 frp ( 43psi vac line off )

Scanmaster #'s during run shown : O2: 648 , 0.0 ret , BLM's 139 , TPS .42 / 4.24 WOT

I know , I know , i should throw the Walbro & Hot wire in ( it's still sitting in the package in the garage ) but you see from the vid i am pulling approx 58psi of fuel which should be fine for even 16psi of boost.

If I adjust the TT parameters to dump in more fuel and / or adv timing in first gear, will this get me a quicker spool ? Any suggestions I will listen!
John reset your tps wot to 4.75

my tps WOT will only go to around 4.25 due to issue with the TV cable .. when I adjust for a higher TPS, the tv press gets to low. I'm not gonna leave it alone for now.

my tps WOT will only go to around 4.25 due to issue with the TV cable .. when I adjust for a higher TPS, the tv press gets to low. I'm not gonna leave it alone for now.

Depends on the chip but anything over 4.20 should be fine with a modern chip. You're close but probably fine. You can adjust the tps sensor itself @ WOT, car off key on of course, without any affect on the TV cable.

You could find someone dumping a D5 pretty cheap. I'd throw that in for the hell of it.
Yeah, the thought has run through my mind. My worry is that this tranny may blow with the higher stall ? also need to change out the governor also. I also noticed that this converter doesn't have a lockup! here's a pic -