Why Are HotAir Cars Slow?

all right we need to get this post back on track. SALADIN Please starte another thread for your questions and please keep this post for info regaring why hotairs are slow and what you think is the problem and the solution.

If I remember correctly I saw Lee Thompson run a high 10 at the last Bristol event held. He had done alot of work with the hot airs over the years. He is a first class guy always willing to help out.

Jim

We have a bigger turbo.

My son (Zacks 85GN) and I got the second V2 kit from Jay (Turbomotion) before he switched the TB to the intake inlet. He had us send it back to move the TB to the intake and that is when all hell broke loose between Turbomotion and S&S Turbo Regal. Well never got the intake back but did get our money back, thanks Jay. We were going to be one of the test cars and I had John Craig build us a custom turbo to mount in the stock location. John listed it as a TA-61 and it ended up costing us $1200.00. We still have this turbo NIB and plan on using it on our converison that we hope to have running soon. I would of really liked to see what it would of done on a real hot air with an opened up intake. We have thought about selling the turbo as we really need a 70 series for what we are doing but money is tight right now.

Jim

Got the pics of the turbo looks just like a normal Ta-series turbo. there is still work that needs to be done to get that turbo to work with the stock configured hotair car. you still need get the adapter put on it and verify that there is a carbon backing plate in the turbo as well or it will suck oil like a SOB.

bump for a good post. from more research i have done i think our main problem lies in the charge temps.

I also think charge temps are the key to the hotairs. If I could sell my 84 Vette for half way decent money I would be all over an 84-85 TR. I just like em and I had an 87 that ran 12.34/114. I really rather have the 84-85. Got the vette advertised so we'll see if it sells.

Hey guys

From my understanding the heads are the same crap ass heads that the 86-87 motors use. To get a stock blocked 86-87 car to run fast with all the great bolt-ons it takes the boost to do it. and i mean upwards of 27-30 psi to run in the 10's along with a pretty big turbo 60 series or bigger.

well we all know that the haot-air is bad so what needs to be done is the heads need to be ported as big as they can go along with the intake ports. The exhaust must be as free flowing as it can be. (cause what goes in must come out). Then you must get a turbo that will flow decent amount of air at a relative low boost to help from heating the air up as bad. The add the chemical intercooling and it should fly.

If i'm not mistaken you can get a 66 wheel in the stock housing of a 87 turbo. so that would be where i would go in the turbo selection.

then TUNE TUNE TUNE AND MORE TUNING.

Eric has ran a best of a 8.18 @ 86 mph with a ta 49 and alky with agutted intake and a lee thompson header set-up and a 86-87 ecm. thats mid 12's on street tires too!

it's not all that hard just takes time and money

im running 11.6* and its coming down to the charge temps. the alky isnt cooling the charge like i thought it would.

im right around 208 deg. right before the #1 cylinder. and i have all the good parts

Yeah, what it really boils down to is:
How many gr/sec can you get into the cylinder at the end of the intake cycle, and burn it efficiently at max advance without KR. :biggrin:
Bottom line ......... :cool:

im right around 208 deg. right before the #1 cylinder. and i have all the good parts
im running 11.6* and its coming down to the charge temps. the alky isnt cooling the charge like i thought it would.
If I "Ass-U-Me" 25lb boost, IAT at 50F day, that is around a 300F charge temp based on 10F/lb boost.
If you see 208, that is a 92F decrease in temp.
Do you know how much alky are you spraying per run?

thats a tad lean for pump gas and alky.
I don't think he is talking about AFR ........... That is his 1/4 mile time

you are right that is 1/4 mile times. as far as the temp its 208 with alky and 208 without alky.

11.20's with a 3.8 and 10.8* with a 4.1

Not sure anyone at this point (July 07) had ran an 11.20 on a 3.8 the fastest I'd ever found was LeeO 11.38 on a 3.8 set up. I've ran 11.14's on a 3.8 with more to come for 08 if the planets are all aligned and the moon is in the right angle with the sun.:D

yes he did. he ran 10.8*'s on a 4.1 hotair if i remember right.

This is correct the fastest he went on a 3.8 was 11.30's before going to a stage block, which he did to have more meat in the block and obviously more cubes to play with. Now he's intercooled and flyin.

Not sure anyone at this point (July 07) had ran an 11.20 on a 3.8 the fastest I'd ever found was LeeO 11.38 on a 3.8 set up. I've ran 11.14's on a 3.8 with more to come for 08 if the planets are all aligned and the moon is in the right angle with the sun.:D

it seems like there is alway that day everyting has to be perfect. my car has to have those days too. it's a I/C car too..............

I've ran 11.14's on a 3.8 with more to come for 08 if the planets are all aligned and the moon is in the right angle with the sun.:D

I'll be looking for that 10 second post Jamie! I know you can do it. if not I'll send Pat (SloGN) up there. He's good for .2 of a second. Example: 8.38 before Pat's coaching, 8.18 after Pat's coaching with the exact same combo.

He told me that I drive it like a grandmother and I needed to "Drive it like I stole it".

Just wondering guys. I don't see anyone here posting with an hot air (intercooled) set up. Stock intake etc. but with intercooler added. I did refer to it in another post with someone asking about the set up. I would like to see what people are pulling out with those cars.

this is not the post for that kind of question thats why you havent seen it here

I ended up having to do a search via (posts by user). This seems like an on going conversation to say the least. You guys should really look at some of the turbo dodge guys. A few of them have some freakish science experiments some of you might appreciate and be able to apply here.

Just wondering guys. I don't see anyone here posting with an hot air (intercooled) set up. Stock intake etc. but with intercooler added. I did refer to it in another post with someone asking about the set up. I would like to see what people are pulling out with those cars.

It is no that those cars are not welcomed, but those cars do not "enjoy" the same challenges following the installtion of an air/air IC.
It is not that the HA car owners are not aware of the benfits.
We are more glutton for punishment and have different goals.

It is like asking:
You can run 100 meters in 10 seconds with two legs,
but,
Can you run it on one leg in 12 seconds?
Different goals.

Now back to regular programming .................
Why are these "Factory location turbo, non air/air intercooled cars with OEM manifold and TB cars so slow anyway?" :D