Why did it fail?

10secvega

before i go and spend another $800 and some dollars i would like some educated gueses why my turbo failed.I run 26 lbs of boost on alky all the time,There was roughly 3000 street miles and under 50 quarter mile passes on this turbo.I also run a 3 inch down pipe with Internal waste gate.
Before i put the turbo on the car for this season i visible checked for play,there was slight up and down but no side to side.
The cold side still spins freely and barely touches the housing.

From my highly uneducated guese,i would say the hot side vains bent hit the housing broke off then jammed the turbo and twisted the shaft off??

Is this something i did or could have prevented?

100_0772.jpg

100_0773.jpg

100_0774.jpg

100_0775.jpg

100_0776.jpg

100_0777.jpg

Seems to be a lot of oil in the exhuast housing. I bet trash went through it, threw it off balance.. until it went of balance so far it crashed.

Its been smoking for a while. You just killed it.

are you running a external oil filtering system. i had a problem hurting my turbo do to bypassed oil going threw it during cold start up and it was taking out the bearings. i called precision turbo and i got there external filter so it will always filter the oil before entering the turbo. might be something to look into if you dont have one already.

Seems to be a lot of oil in the exhuast housing. I bet trash went through it, threw it off balance.. until it went of balance so far it crashed.

Its been smoking for a while. You just killed it.

It had just started smoking earlier that morning,on deceleration.Makes sense to me, i may be able to sleep now?

are you running a external oil filtering system. i had a problem hurting my turbo do to bypassed oil going threw it during cold start up and it was taking out the bearings. i called precision turbo and i got there external filter so it will always filter the oil before entering the turbo. might be something to look into if you dont have one already.

I will look into it bfore i install a new turbo.