Why is the site suddenly blocking ad blockers?

Because we need the money. Its not like the site is littered with ads to begin with.

Like Jay said we need the funds. The cost of the board is increasing. In case you didn't notice our vendor list is shrinking. Getting ready to shrink more. A lot of people are not renewing ads with us because of Facebook. If you guys want to keep this site you need to ask your vendors BEFORE YOU ORDER if they support TurboBuick.com... I keep this place open out of the love I have for these cars, I do not run it as a business. You see what happened to the other board....

Before anyone asks, Im going to keep working on a donation system, I just havent had a lot of time in the past few months.

I know you have tried not to do this, but this is your answer. And most would be happy to donate on a tiered type system.

The days of ad blockers are coming to an end. A lot of really big sites are doing the same thing we are. Wired and USA Today both had adblocker blockers in place.

Ill try to get the donation system going next weekend if time permits. I need to figure out how to tie everything together so I have a bit of research to do.

Would happily donate to keep this site up and going. If you can figure how to tie it together, then we will advocate it.

A lot of guys will happily donate, me included. Get it set up and the support will come.

I would gladly pay a monthly fee, I send a monthly recurring fee on other sites as a supporter.

Problems with blocking Ad Blockers:
1.) If you visit this site from a workplace, you cannot disable the ad blockers in place so this in turn means users can't use your site.
2.) Blocking Ad Blocker programs can be easily bypassed by a quick google search.
3.) The only big sites that use the blocking ad blockers are News sites who charge for their content, like a newspaper/magazine and honestly most people don't disable their ad blockers and just leave the site.
4.) Probably 99% of all web browsers use a ad blocking program, not only do they block ads but they also help prevent malicious software from being installed on your computer i.e. clickbait.

source: I work in I.T. :)

Thats not true. Several forums I visit have started using adblocker blockers. Wired uses one. They dont charge for content. I dont think USA Today does either.

The Internet isnt free. We pay a lot of money to keep this site running. Its not like some other POS sites that have 5 users and can run on a $20 a month hosting account. We really need a better infrastructure than we have but it would cost a lot more to do it the way I want to do it and we cant justify that kind of loss.

If people want to bypass them blocker, go for it. Just keep in mind that youre costing us money when you do so. When this place isnt here anymore and you dont have anything but Facebook left, I guess at that point we can say "I told you so."

Thats not true. Several forums I visit have started using adblocker blockers. Wired uses one. They dont charge for content. I dont think USA Today does either.

The Internet isnt free. We pay a lot of money to keep this site running. Its not like some other POS sites that have 5 users and can run on a $20 a month hosting account. We really need a better infrastructure than we have but it would cost a lot more to do it the way I want to do it and we cant justify that kind of loss.

If people want to bypass them blocker, go for it. Just keep in mind that youre costing us money when you do so. When this place isnt here anymore and you dont have anything but Facebook left, I guess at that point we can say "I told you so."

Let's hope that will NOT take place. Count me in,as I would be more then happy to support this forum,

Ray

It's not too much to ask if you want to show your support for your favorite website. I just disabled mine("on this site only") and it's no big deal. Never thought about it from the perspective that it was taking revenue away from this site.

I would support the site directly also though I still don't like the ad blocker issue.

I have no issue with ad blocker. There's a ton of info here...and it's free.

I'm in for getting a support/donation system in place. Maybe a monthly draw from an account or paypal:vomit: charge. I'm in either way!

Ill try to get a donation system in place this month.

I appreciate those who understand. Ive tried not to hammer the site with ads. There are only a few. I need to remove that Amazon ad. They arent paying us. Ill do that when I have a few minutes.

I disabled ad block, added the site to the exception/allow list....Still blocks. what's with that?
When I logged on a minute or so, ago. Blocked, hit the back button, tried again.. worked.
Is this a sometimes deal?

Probably had to close and reopen the browser for the change to work.

Ill try to get a donation system in place this month.

I appreciate those who understand. Ive tried not to hammer the site with ads. There are only a few. I need to remove that Amazon ad. They arent paying us. Ill do that when I have a few minutes.
Count me in! Other then guitars, this is my other hobby/addiction. With 3 of these cars, I would be LOST without this site!
Let's make this happen, Jay. Facebook is not an option!