Why No Blow Off Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SORRY MAN ! .charlie paid me $50.00 to get someone to freak out ..WIN WIN FOR BOTH OF US >>
sorry oilman , didnt mean to insult you, you did your job, well done. as soon as i figure out which bov im buying" pretty sure im going with a 50mm tial" im gonna post up some pics, just so you guys can rag on me.:rolleyes:

SORRY MAN ! .charlie paid me $50.00 to get someone to freak out ..WIN WIN FOR BOTH OF US >>
If I had $50 it would be going in the bank, not in your pocket Paul. I'm so broke right now I can barely pay attention right now.:p:(

i know the issue has been beaten to death but i'll join the "there's nothing wrong with having a blow off valve" guys. i have a turbosmart dual port on my t-type, i forget the measurement. it is really nicely machined and works great. the extra volume of the front mount and the longer piping holds a lot of air, plain and simple. i was having issues with part throttle/low boost situations on the highway. it was annoying, and the bov (i hate using ricer abbreviations) made driveability much better, and i didn't care for the constant turkey gobble sound of the stalling compressor. am i going to mount a huge megaphone to the discharge on it to amplify the ricey goodness? absolutely not! i spend my leisure time wrenching and driving my toys, not criticizing strangers on the internet. to each his own!

i know the issue has been beaten to death but i'll join the "there's nothing wrong with having a blow off valve" guys. i have a turbosmart dual port on my t-type, i forget the measurement. it is really nicely machined and works great. the extra volume of the front mount and the longer piping holds a lot of air, plain and simple. i was having issues with part throttle/low boost situations on the highway. it was annoying, and the bov (i hate using ricer abbreviations) made driveability much better, and i didn't care for the constant turkey gobble sound of the stalling compressor. am i going to mount a huge megaphone to the discharge on it to amplify the ricey goodness? absolutely not! i spend my leisure time wrenching and driving my toys, not criticizing strangers on the internet. to each his own!
I SLEEP WITH MINE ..

Unbelievable... I concede victory to you, sir. Clearly you have a faster car, more mechanical knowledge, a wittier vocabulary and probably larger manhood than me.

if the concept of a blowoff valve makes sense to you then by all means get it. Nobody lost a turbo by having one. i apply the condom theory to this debate.....if you dont have one when you need it, your not going to need one for a long time!

everyone will say how its money that can better spent elsewhere...if you want to save money, dont buy a buick because it never ends.

Back to the subject, a BOV will not cure compressor surge. Think about it. In order for it to cure surge it would have to release pressure at part throttle where your surge is. You would not get to full boost. They open when full boost is backed up into the up pipe ie, when the engine isn't using the boost that the valve is set to blow at.

oil starvation kills turbos, not pressure issues. its not the "surge" that the bov is alleviating per se,, rather the stalling of the blades when pressure is forced back through the turbine. standard transmission vehicles CAN benefit from a bov because in between shifts the throttle is lifted causing this "stall" and when getting back into it the turbo has to spool from a dead stop again- this is what the primary purpose of a bov is, to maintain turbine speeds in between shifts.

Absolutely correct that the BOV will not cure surge in any way when the throttle is open. The only way to reduce this is to use a ported shroud or try to introduce some prerotation to reduce the losses to the suction eye of the impeller (other methods are also available...). Kidglok, you are also referring to the same phenomenon of surge when you talk about the stalling of the compressor. If you imagine what a compressor map looks like, the surge line determines when the compressor will surge. To the left of this line, it will be surging. At zero flow (throttle blade shut) and essentially any pressure ratio, you will be surging the compressor. This can also happen if you are operating the turbo under throttle and your flow vs pressure ratio falls left of the surge line.

Yes, oil starvation is another failure mode of this equipment, but it is certainly possible that failure could also be caused by surge.

Also, the valve does not have a "set point" either like I saw a few posts back. It operates based on a pressure differential between the volumes of air before and after the throttle blade. The spring inside is there only to keep the valve shut against the motor vacuum (throttle blade shut, motor creates vacuum).

I hope that people find some of this information helpful. :)

-D

if the concept of a blowoff valve makes sense to you then by all means get it. Nobody lost a turbo by having one. i apply the condom theory to this debate.....if you dont have one when you need it, your not going to need one for a long time!

everyone will say how its money that can better spent elsewhere...if you want to save money, dont buy a buick because it never ends.
I WEAR TWO .. JUST IN CASE ..WHAT'S UP DOC !!

Unbelievable... I concede victory to you, sir. Clearly you have a faster car, more mechanical knowledge, a wittier vocabulary and probably larger manhood than me.
I 'M GLAD YOU CAME TO TERMS WITH IT .. NOW WE CAN MOVE FORWORD ..;)

First BOV I ever saw was on a small block Chevy with a Powerglide. This car was an easy 9 second Malibu. The same Malibu that was on PINKS that ran against an early big block Camaro out of Canada. I was told that it was to prevent damage to the throttle blade when the throttle closes. I didn't know that it was a ricer part at the time.

Oil Man, Is your name Richard, or is that just your state of mind?

~JM~

Status
Not open for further replies.