Why SO much turbo lag???

2toneNV

First off, my combo is a PT&E 6765 DBB, Champion Irons/Intake, PT&E FMIC and a Coan 3200 stall L/U converter, billet tranny built by JDSfastGN.

My car can't get out of its own way when I am at a full stop or just cruising. There is a moment of hesitation that seems to last for a good 2 to 3 seconds and I really noticed it last night driving home from a local cruise night.
What ideas do you Buick wizards have?:rolleyes:

Craig I know the car has no exhaust leaks so its gotta be in the a/f or the converter is not what it was sold as, do you have a way of making a fast file to see what the actual stall is at 0 boost? Or at the minimum a tach?

The RPM at zero boost and the wideband numbers from the time you go WOT till second gear will help other make suggestions. Does the car have alky?

I have the jb version of that turbo an am not impressed so far. At 25-26 psi now I will try 28-30 next track visit.

I will see about logging some WOT runs and bringing it up to 0 boost.

jasjamz, I DO have Alkycontrol. When it does spool up it is a freight train!

Craig I know the car has no exhaust leaks so its gotta be in the a/f or the converter is not what it was sold as, do you have a way of making a fast file to see what the actual stall is at 0 boost? Or at the minimum a tach?

JD, I got a build sheet from Coan after I bought the converter and gave them the number on the converter. I will have every vital in front of me if I EVER get my dash installed.:confused:

I will see about logging some WOT runs and bringing it up to 0 boost.

jasjamz, I DO have Alkycontrol. When it does spool up it is a freight train!

Yeah its a nice unit, I just expected a little more. I had to adjust the initial on my Razors box and will be sending the converter in for a restall.

Converter.

Go with a PTC 10" 2800 L/U.

I had a 3200 in my combo when I put it together and it was a dog. My 2800 will fry the back tires at 60mph. A converter will make or break your combo.

87NAT few questions if I may ask...

1. What brand was the 3200 stall converter?
2. The times in your sig, How much boost do you launch with, and is it a T-brake or foot?
3. How much boost do you run?
4. The tires you fry at 60mph, what kind and size are they?

Now as far as the 2800 10" PTC, I do belive Dusty recommends them for cars that are 550HP or less, and not to lock them at WOT since they are single disc. Being that the 6765 is rated between 845-900hp I would say that is a not a good match up. It will overpower the converter when pushed hard and be out spooled by a 6262 during street driving. I think a 9.5" unit at 3400-3600 for a jb and 3200-3400 is a better match. this is just my opinion but since I am in the mist of testing these products I think it fair to throw it out there. I think my flame suit is going to be needed soon.

jasjamz you addressed some of the same questions I have. 87NAT can you support your thoughts more?

I will try to post a YouTube link later of my spool up inside and outside the car. I will attach powerlogger files and "some" info about the car. I think there are more people that would like to see this stuff posted.

2. The times in your sig, How much boost do you launch with, and is it a T-brake or foot?

Now as far as the 2800 10" PTC, I do belive Dusty recommends them for cars that are 550HP or less, and not to lock them at WOT since they are single disc. Being that the 6765 is rated between 845-900hp I would say that is a not a good match up. It will overpower the converter when pushed hard and be out spooled by a 6262 during street driving. I think a 9.5" unit at 3400-3600 for a jb and 3200-3400 is a better match. this is just my opinion but since I am in the mist of testing these products I think it fair to throw it out there. I think my flame suit is going to be needed soon.

No doubt the 67mm will work much better with my 9.5 non lock. I'm guessing 2toneWE4's issue is the converter isn't stalling near 3200 rpm. Alot of these companies think a 3200 stall behind a V8 will still stall 3200 behind the V6 when it won't. If it does stall over 2800 at 0 boost and is slow spooling there could be tuning issues.

The 10" converters can work well with the 67mm turbo's but it comes down to combinations and the proper shift rpm.

1. The converter was a PTC 3200. Dusty restalled it.
2. I launched at about 4 psi/footbrake
3. 22-23 psi
4. I can roast my 255/50-16 Eagle Gt's from 60mph and I can spin my ET Street drag radials at about 45 mph.

I am right on the edge of that 2800.I do have about 10% slip with that converter on the big end. If I raced my car alot I would go with the 9.5 NLU...but since it is street driven/cruise mode 99% of the time the 2800 works for me.

YouTube - Broken Wastegate

Can someone make that a click to watch vid Please.
Takes about two and a half seconds to get to 18 or so.

2TONEWE4, How does yours compare to that?
Here are the snap shots of the logs...

Attachments

• IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 277
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 291