Why To Buy A Stage Car Already Done!!

G

GNSCOTT

I made the mistake of listing what i have bought for the car , and what has yet to be bought. The stuff on the list that i haven't paid for yet are marked with a " * ". I know it can be done cheaper, but i always see people posting, asking the costs involved, so i thought i'd share mine. I only listed parts that have a minimum cost of $300, so the little stuff is not listed, and no labor costs other than the rebuild of the motor are listed. If i forgot anything, feel free to chime in.

Stage II costs

Busch North long block……………………………………...$2800
Cam, pistons, rebuild, assembly, front cover,dut oil sys….…$5500
SFI flywheel & balancer-new…………………………..……$600
Sheetmetal intake w/ injectors-used………………………….$1800
*Headers-new………………………………………………….$1000
Turbo 400 w/convertor and all safety shields-used…………...$1500
Ford 9” all options-used………………………………..……..$2400
Speed pro B to B fuel mgmt-new……………………………..$2000
Aluminum driveshaft –used…………………………………...$300
Oil pan-new……………………………………………………$500
*Fuel system, pump,lines,cell…………………………………..$1200
80..bb.turbo……………………………………………………..$2600
cottons intercooler……………………………………………...$1000
cold air kit………………………………………………………$300
*3-1/2 downpipe………………………………………………….$500
*3-1/2 single shot exhaust……………..…………………………$500
wolfe double suspension kit……………………………………..$1000
wheels and tires, front and rear used……………………………$900
*Baer front brakes………………………………………………..$1300
Roll cage 10pt……………………………………..……………$1500
*Glass parts, hood,deck,bumpers (unpainted)…………………...$1000
Shifter………………………………………………...…………$200
*Racing seats, covers, mounting hardware………………………$300
*Innovative boost controller……………………………………...$500
Assorted gauges, monster tach………………………………….$400

TOTAL…………………………………$31,600

Stop it, you're scaring me! :)

I am happy with the T-type shell I bought to put my Stage motor in, but I have thought many times that buying someone else's doorslammer and putting the Stage motor in would've cut down on my costs. There was a beautiful, back halved, 1963 Chevy II with a mild 350 for sale here about 2 years ago and I didn't have the money at the time. It already had the cage, 4 link, Ford 9", fuel lines, etc..plus it would've probably come in at 2800 lbs or so. :)

Oh well...maybe after I sell my completed car at a loss I can do one like that! :D

Hey Scott, after you're done spending the $31,600 I'll buy it from you for $15k............... what do you say, do we have a deal?;) Being serious I know what you're saying cause not too long ago I heard about somebody selling a high 9 second Stage II silver '86 T-type for $17k and the motor and trans were fresh! Did you ever consider that you could have bought Terry Houston's Stage II GN that ran mid 8's @166mph for $29k??!!:eek: Just some food for thought:D

I hear you guys. guess its more the fact that it is impossible for me to save $29,000 all at once,and the fun of building it yourself. I think $25k for a car like Cotton's is a steal. I'd hate to figure labor costs for the person who doesn't have the time, and i didn't figure in the cost of the car itself. It all started with a good deal on the longblock, and as the say, the rest is history.

I know what you're saying Scott cause the chances of me ever saving $29k is slim to none as well:D At least you can say you built a Stage II GN the way you wanted it and didn't buy somebody elses creation! Oh well, I'll just wait for the next time I see a Stage II TR selling for $17k :rolleyes: or I'll get that new TA block and start like you did................. having a longblock and a dream;) :cool:

Later, Steve

Myself i get a kick out of building a car and love to use it against people at the track. I just would have a hard time buying a car
that was build by someone else. It would alway be a part of the person that built it and not you .. Ive had guys call me that have bought my old cars before ,just to find out what kind of person built it..LOL Its nice when you can be prode of what you build and see others enjoy it. Thats when the long hours and hard work pays off. Anyone can buy speed and it would be a hollow feeling for me knowing i didnt build it:cool:

I'd rather build it myself

I agree with Gene if you can build your own do it! I have bought a couple that were running and tore them apart and redone them and built a few from scratch. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Last December I picked up the gold car I have now, it had a lot of good parts and a roll bar in it already so it was perfect for me and my getting a car ready in time for TSM . The cam shaft was gone in it which I knew when I made the deal of course expecting to rebuild it anyway. I got a great buy on it and I just LOVE the gold paint (I like to be different) Ok I really just like it because I can find it in the staging lanes at the Nats. :D The biggest negative I have found with it is that the car has been fast prior to my owning it so people ASSume that I bought it just the way it is. It was previously owned by one of the Crissafolli brothers. (sorry about the spelling guys) They did much of the work originally and for the most part fantastic attention to detail. Since December I have sold nearly every part off the car and built it my way. I have replaced all the rear suspension and added my own tricks. I installed a new rear with c clip eliminators and spool even a back brace all the way I wanted it. I removed the 200 and went with a TH 400 with a brake new shifter etc. Under the hood I sold everything except the block, rods, crank, injectors, and intercooler. Everything is done the way I wanted it for the most part, not enough time to finish a few details. I don't think some people will ever see it as anything except an old Crissafolli car. I certianly mean no disrespect to those guys they are good guys and they know what is going on and how to go fast. Old Goldie is my creation at this point and maybe it will be different when I get her in the 9's but I feel a little like the guy I sold Terry's car to. He will always hear those words, isn't that Terry Houston's old car. I almost wish I had just painted my old car or something. Well I have taken up enough space here but that is my take on the buying someone elses finished car. It is all good if you can't do it your self but if you can, do it! For what it is worth the car went 130.44 with a non lock up converter the first run off the trailer at the Nats and when I get the bugs worked out I expect to see some high 9 second time slips I know there is definately more in her she was really comming around down there. Hey Gene glad to here you got yours running again, I broke my motor in, in the burnout box right before that 130 mph pass. :D :D Dave

I would have to agree with Geno about the hollow feeling. I bought my racer for a price that could not be refused. I am fortunate that it has held together as that was my biggest fear buying it. There are all kinds of things done to the car that is just not me(wiring in particular). All the basic parts are more than sufficient for my long term goals, so that had a big factor in my purchase. I plan on massaging out the little things that bother me over the fall and winter. At that point I will consider the car mine as Re-evaluating feels his is to him now. Right now I am kinda driving someone elses car, but that's the furthest thing from my mind when I let go of the transbrake. :)

Hi Guys i am new tot he message board however i have owned my 87GN for a while thinking on get a stage 2 off center, very hard to find. Should i wait for TA performance block? The other question is who is the best at these cars in NJ.

Thanks,

Hi Guys i am new tot he message board however i have owned my 87GN for a while thinking on get a stage 2 off center, very hard to find. Should i wait for TA performance block? The other question is who is the best at these cars in NJ.

Any particular reason why you want an off center??
TA performance block, crank, and rods i figured at $6000 plus .HP levels i think are still unknown, but with the TA block, you are getting new pieces from a very reputable dealer and a block that should save some weight off the front end, so IMO its really a personal decision.

i was told that stage 2 off center are the best as i do not need a sheet-metal intake and less modifications? However if i find someone in NJ that knows their stuff that can put me into 10's with a bullet proof bottem end i may just stay away from stage 2 as i know they are big bucks to build.

Ron Joseph of Ron's Custom Automotive Service in Kenilworth, NJ www.ronscustomauto.com is very good with these cars as well as Jack Merkel www.merkelengines.com who works with Ron. Also, Dynotech Performance in Manville, NJ is another good shop from what I've heard. I think if you're just looking to run into the high to mid 10 sec range a stock block with the 2 center billet main caps and an RJC block girdle along with the other pieces (forged light weight pistons, stock or forged rods, and a good turbo crank) would be your best bet and much cheaper than building a Stage II. Or you could wait for the TA Performance aluminum block which should be capable of handling much more hp than a stock block:) Just my .02

HTH:cool:

Thanks for the information. I heard mixed reviews about Rons therfore i have been waiting. I just hate to drop 10k on a killer engine and then TA Performance comes out and be kicking myself in the butt.

Originally posted by njturbo
Thanks for the information. I heard mixed reviews about Rons therfore i have been waiting. I just hate to drop 10k on a killer engine and then TA Performance comes out and be kicking myself in the butt.

I don't think you'll kick yourself in the butt if you build it like 86 Brick says. A stock block built properly will live in the 10 second range providing you run good gas and are on the ball.

You can always move on to a Stage II block when you feel it's time to move into the 9's.

Its slim pickens when you limit yourself to 1 state, but you picked a state that has at least 2, Ron's or ESP. I'd stop at e-town one night and ask some fellow TR enthusiasts. As in here you will find wide and varrying opinions, not to mention opinions that people do not wish to write on an open forum about. Talking to people in person usually works best.