Wideband sensor

GMTECH12002

I'm thinking bout upgrading to a wideband sensor, what's recommended, name brand, style? Whats everybody using?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Only one I would ever buy AFX
Innovate suck with race gas on the street okay
AFX_unit.jpg

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/afx.asp

Does the mtx line have enough range for e85 the spec says 4.9-14.93.

I don't know about E-85 .I do know with leaded 118 race fuel the innovate Bosch sensor lasts about 1 mile(4 PASSES) and the NGK sensor i have never touched in 3 seasons of racing 118

I know to each is own opinion, but I have Auto Meter in digital and here is the PDF manual.

Attachments

• AutoMeter Air-Fuel Gauge Digital.pdf
    447.2 KB · Views: 73
All widebands are compatible with E85. You will be reading it using the gas scale, and tuning to the same numbers as gas, so no need for a different range.
I like the NGK AFX, especially for leaded fuel. After that, PLX or AEM if not using lead.
Eric

i run an lm1 innovate and 3 different cheap 14point7.com units .they are all much of a muchness all read withen 0.01 a/f ratio and have all survived high miles on both pump gas and heavily leaded avgas .the innovate has typical innovate issues of spitting error codes every now and then for the sensor and can get a bit annoying. it all comes down to personal preferance ,looks,price,support etc.

All widebands are compatible with E85. You will be reading it using the gas scale, and tuning to the same numbers as gas, so no need for a different range.
I like the NGK AFX, especially for leaded fuel. After that, PLX or AEM if not using lead.
Eric
Why would they give seperate scales for e85, methanol and even ethanol if I would be tuning with the gas scale?

I have an LC-1 from innovate. It's been a great unit for me for at least 3 years now. Running on E85. The sensor is mounted in my "racepipe" under the car. Most folks seem to mount it in the downpipe nearer the turbo, and it seems some folks have heat related sensor issues despite being far enough away the turbine (even if meeting spec per the Innovate recommendations). Having mine in the racepipe I have not had any sensor overheat problems, but there is probably more of a risk of condensation damage from condensed water in the exhaust pipe. So far so good though....

My laptop has USB ports so I had to use a USB/Serial converter to connect to and change the programming on my LC1. No biggie. Not all wideband units are programmable so it's nice to have one that is.

Why would they give seperate scales for e85, methanol and even ethanol if I would be tuning with the gas scale?

it's just "available" in case you need it or want it for some reason. most folks use the gasoline scale as a historical point of reference. I run E85 but I speak gasoline when I talk Air/Fuel ratio.

I'm liking the idea of having the controller built into the gauge
Like the mtx but I was looking at the plx I believe and read that it will calculate and output a narrowband signal to input back to my ECM so I can just do away with my stock o2, is this safe?

it's just "available" in case you need it or want it for some reason. most folks use the gasoline scale as a historical point of reference. I run E85 but I speak gasoline when I talk Air/Fuel ratio.
So when installing the controller I would leave it on gasoline and tune for 14.6:1 even though I run e85?

I'm liking the idea of having the controller built into the gauge
Like the mtx but I was looking at the plx I believe and read that it will calculate and output a narrowband signal to input back to my ECM so I can just do away with my stock o2, is this safe?

Keep the stock O2 sensor, it's a good "reality check" for the wideband data.

So when installing the controller I would leave it on gasoline and tune for 14.6:1 even though I run e85?

For closed loop "normal" driving (running on MAF and stock O2) the wideband will register around 14.3-14.7 most of the time.

At wide open throttle, use the wideband data to tune for your desired A/F target. Typically 11.0:1 on gas scale. High power combo should be a bit richer than that. 10.6:1 maybe. Every combo is unique.

Some chips can go closed loop on the wideband. Typically this is done only for WOT. Which chip do you have? 5.7, 6.1, SD?

Where is the best location for the sensor? Preturbo or down pipe ?

5.7 with stock maf and o2

That's a good chip I run one on my blue car.

Use the chip programmable parameters for WOT fueling to tune to your desired A/F target. No closed loop feedback control for the wideband on that chip but that's OK. It still works great.