wierd steering issues with 87 regal

imkfly

hey...totally clueless about this so help if you can guys!
everytime i turn my vehicle (left or right) (fast or slow) i get a loud squeal from up under my hood. it must be loud because people 20+ ft away turn around and look scared..lol. i asked around and some say its my belts or fluid...i checked and my fluid leverls and fine. so next on my agenda is my belts...already bought, i ready to change...but dont know how to!? do release my altenator...or where is that tension pulley thingy they talk about?

ANOTHER NOTE....
it litely snowed yesterday here in philly...and when i got the snow off my windshield and drove off....it felt as thought, something was frozen (it was extremly hard to turn)..any ideas? can steering pump freeze?

hey...totally clueless about this so help if you can guys!
everytime i turn my vehicle (left or right) (fast or slow) i get a loud squeal from up under my hood. it must be loud because people 20+ ft away turn around and look scared..lol. i asked around and some say its my belts or fluid...i checked and my fluid leverls and fine. so next on my agenda is my belts...already bought, i ready to change...but dont know how to!? do release my altenator...or where is that tension pulley thingy they talk about?

ANOTHER NOTE....
it litely snowed yesterday here in philly...and when i got the snow off my windshield and drove off....it felt as thought, something was frozen (it was extremly hard to turn)..any ideas? can steering pump freeze?

This is a turbocharged regal with a serpentine belt correct? If so, it is very unusual for the belt to be slipping so badly, unless the spring loaded belt tensioner is frozen and not doing it's job, or maybe for whatever reason the belt is soaked in oil and slipping. I would remove the belt and try turning the power steering pump by hand, and see if moves freely. If it it very difficult to turn, I would start looking for a new P/S pump. When you say it was extremely hard to turn, do you mean it felt like it had manual steering, or it felt like something was trying hard to prevent you from turning the wheel?

Also, to remove the belt, find the tensioner pulley and put a 15mm wrench on the pulley nut and turn it clockwise. This will pull the tensioner away from the belt, allowing you to slip the belt off the alternator, and then slowly release the tensioner.

This is a turbocharged regal with a serpentine belt correct? If so, it is very unusual for the belt to be slipping so badly, unless the spring loaded belt tensioner is frozen and not doing it's job, or maybe for whatever reason the belt is soaked in oil and slipping. I would remove the belt and try turning the power steering pump by hand, and see if moves freely. If it it very difficult to turn, I would start looking for a new P/S pump. When you say it was extremely hard to turn, do you mean it felt like it had manual steering, or it felt like something was trying hard to prevent you from turning the wheel?

Also, to remove the belt, find the tensioner pulley and put a 15mm wrench on the pulley nut and turn it clockwise. This will pull the tensioner away from the belt, allowing you to slip the belt off the alternator, and then slowly release the tensioner.

nope....its a regular 2bbl! and when i refer to turning difficulty it felt like something was preventing me from turning..! ill look into thee manual (by handing thingy) tomorrow...

turning out to be a bigger project thn i would have expected...lol

It uses a V-belt and most likely it's slipping bad (and ruined). Get a new one and replace it. Not hard to do.

It's behind the other belts, so consider reapcling them too. (They have to come off as well to get to the PS belt).

It uses a V-belt and most likely it's slipping bad (and ruined). Get a new one and replace it. Not hard to do.

It's behind the other belts, so consider reapcling them too. (They have to come off as well to get to the PS belt).

you think u can give some sort of tiny little step by step instructions. it sounds tedious...lol...i bought two belts! autozone told me too!LOL