Wife's 2000 Dodge Durango don't want to shift into OD when it is cold. Need some Buic

Tim Cucci

I posted on the Durango board but have not got satisfied responses. I know were the smart guys are!!!
Wife's Durango does not want to shift normally into OD when it is cold without running up to 80-85 mph and higher than normal rpm's. It has also set a code P1740 which is TCC related. I thought abought replacing the TCC solenoid but I am afraid it may only be a dealer item and afraid of the price. May not fix the problem. I wanted to get some good info before trying to repair.
Anybody got any advice on this situation?
Need Help
2000 Durango 2WD 5.9 L
Thanks

I have no idea on the Durango but my 89 Maxima would not shift into OD at all if it was too cold. I was told by a transmission shop that it was designed that way because the fluid has to be a certain temp for it work. Once run for a certain amount of time it shifted into OD fine.

I don't know the technical term for it but those transmissions have a learning curve. Over say 30 key on/key off cycles, they learn your driving habits and respond accordingly. How does she drive, like she hates it? I've driven a bunch of Durangos and some shift early, some shift late in the short time I get to test them. Try a bunch of short trips with gentle acceleration on a weekend and see if it starts to correct itself. Running up to 85 when cold might not be so good for longevity.

Originally posted by Tim Cucci
I posted on the Durango board but have not got satisfied responses.Thanks

Which BB ?

I have not had this problem, but have found great help Here

Jim

First thing i would do is find someone with some good type of scan tool(snap on scanner will work) and in the functional test section you should find some type of relearn precedure for the trans, it may be called quick learn, Or there may be something called battery disconnect, Do this and drive it for a week and see what happens, I do believe it has to catch a certain temp beforeit will lockup or go into od,The only other thing that may be a problem is if the thermostat is NG and stuck open or opening to early it may not reach the temp it is looking for vry easily
Hope this helps
Otto

Call an experienced trans shop! dodge trannys are sh@!,When the new dodge came out in 94 I think if you were rolling 1/4 of a mile an hour in reverse backing out and put it in first you needed a replacement,no joke! I had a bosnian freind who was having very similar problem called a connection a the trans shop and I didnt even finish the sentence and he new the problem and price. Was a acccumulator piston that was cracked very comon on FWD full size models as an ASE mechanic dodge trans last just to waranty alot of the time.

I'm pretty much sure the late shift into OD is normal when it's cold. Are you positive it's not shifting into OD, or is the lockup clutch not locking and making it seem like it's still in 3rd?

Those things had a lot of problems with two solenoids, I don't remember the exact name, but it was the governor pressure sensor and the pressure modulator. It caused inconsistant shifting but usually happened mostly when hot. What does the fluid look like?

I've worked for Dodge dealers since 97 or so,I'll try to help.How many miles on trans since last fluid change?If over 40k I'd have it FLUSHED,not drained and refilled.Make sure they use Mopar ATF fluid.If fluid isn't old try letting it warm up longer,not til the water temp gets warm but til the trans fluid has time to warm up some.May have to drive easy for a few miles to warm up fluid .If that doesn't do it, then the TCC solenoid is probaly bad.Hope this helps.

The tranny was replaced with a new one at 36000 miles after several repair attempts under warranty. Finally they just put a new tranny in. This tranny now has about 36000 miles also but dealer says there are no warranty provisions on this tranny.

Now, I did install a 160 thermostat over the summer. The fluid should only have around 36k miles on it and does look good. I did get another filter and fluid to do a change but if I drop that pan I want to change the TCC solenoid also while I am there if it is not some outrageous price. I think I will start calling around as soon as I get finished with this post. I may have to put the 195 thermo back in.

Scan tool, YES I have also been looking into one that will do everything I got!!! From the GN to the 2000 Dodge I want GM, Chrysler, Ford OBDI and II. I have been looking at Actron 9150
Super Scanner. Any advice on this. $350 is my price range. What about programs for lap tops that will do it all? Does anyone know of this?

Thanks
Tim

I don't run a Dodge but a Trooper I work with has a Dodge Ram. His third trans was just installed and it wouldn't shift into OD until warmed up. He said all three were like that. Trans shop told him it wouldn't shift until fluid reached 180 degrees, said it was by design. ??

Now, I did install a 160 thermostat over the summer. You might have just answered your question.

Date: Sat Dec 23 06:58:08 PST 2000
Subject: 46RE, DTC P1740-TCC or OD Solenoid Performance
Vehicle: 2000-2001 Dodge Ram Truck, Dakota, Durango, Ram Van
Problem / Fix: It must be determined that the torque converter clutch is functioning propely . You can replace the pressure boost valve cover on the valve body with dodge part #: 4617015 OR You can modify the existing pressure boost valve cover. The oriface hole in the cover (bolts on top side of valve body with 3 screws) is too small. The existing hole is 1.22mm (0.048 inch), and it needs to be enlarged to 1.75mm (0.069 inch).

also to address this problem i install a new sonnax switch valve part number #22771a-01 into the valve body.. and just to let the guy that works at the dodge dealer know that flushing a trans or servicing one is just preventaive maintence. it will not help any problem the trans is having. ever! its like changing your motor oil after the motor starts knocking. it just to late. and if the trans has some type deterioration it can make things worst. i have an account that has 93 dodge trucks that are 98 or newer and rebuild at least 2 trucks a week for them . dodge incorperated many problems into their transmissions. and we in the after market are working to fix them and make them last. len

Hey Len,
I read that service bulletin also but could not figure out if I had to drop the valve body or not. Is the boost valve cover plate accessible without pulling the valve body or is it the actual seperator plate. I figured I could drill it out but was not sure about dropping the valve body. Any help here?
Thanks
Tim

you will need to drop valve body. the plate with 3 bolts is on top. its a fairly easy job. the hardest part is the rod that goes from the valve body to the park assy. in the back of the case. it is held on the valve body linkage by a c-clip. it is easier to remove the c-clip and just leave the rod up in the trans.. undo the 2 7/16 headed bolts on the out side linkage and pry them up and off. next remove the 10 7/16 headed bolts on the outside edge of the vb and slide it down. a spring and maybe a small piston will come down. just look to see position of those parts for installation. the cover to be drilled is the the only one with a small hole in it already. should be remove so not to get metal in the vb. hope this helps. len

Great help Len,
The Buick community comes thru again even on a Dodge.
I sure didn't want to pull the valve body but code P1740 references the TCC and service bulletin refers to the plate mod.
First I will cross my fingers and change the thermo and then probably end up doing the mod. I just gotta try the easy fix first.
Thanks Len, I tried to get more info on that service bulletin a week ago and could not find the right sources but I got it right here on this board. Should have known.
I will keep posted.
Thanks
Tim