Will I need an alignment????

ANDYS87

This spring I plan on beefing up my Gn's rear suspension. New, boxed upper and lower control arms, new original height springs, Bilstein shocks, ATR sway bar, and dual airbags. When I do all of this, will I need to have the rear wheels aligned????? Upfront, I am just doing new shocks.

I did mine and did do an alignment, I think you should only NEED one if you mess with the front end.

Wheel alignment

Any time vehicle height is altered in the rear, there will be a change in front Caster and possibly Camber & Toe depending upon the amount of height change. If you're increasing the rear height you will see a decrease in Caster which tends to give less stability in steering and slow steeringwheel return- ability. Caster is not a tire wear angle but Camber and Toe are. It is always good practice to have your wheel alignment checked after any suspension work. Besides, whats a $65 alignment charge compared to the cost of replacing ruined front tires at $100 each. :smile:

paltech said:
Any time vehicle height is altered in the rear, there will be a change in front Caster and possibly Camber & Toe depending upon the amount of height change. If you're increasing the rear height you will see a decrease in Caster which tends to give less stability in steering and slow steeringwheel return- ability. Caster is not a tire wear angle but Camber and Toe are. It is always good practice to have your wheel alignment checked after any suspension work. Besides, whats a $65 alignment charge compared to the cost of replacing ruined front tires at $100 each. :smile:

Well if you put it like that then I guess it would be worth it.

Jpratt, I think Sears Auto will check your alignment and if no adjustment is required, there is no charge. This will be verified by a computer printout of your alignment. There may be others in town that operate this way but it might be adviseable to give them a call before you go down there. :wink:

Sorry to Hi-jack, but that is what i'm plannin to do to my GN, if it needs it when i buy mine.

Would that suspension be good for street (good turning and not a lot of body roll) and strip use (stickin the tires down for a good 60-foot)?

thanks a bunch,

Adam

I'm launching arrow straight, without twist, with just good springs, shocks and the ATR swaybar. I'm just in the high 11s though. A alignment's always a good thing, after any suspension work. May have had something worn out back there, and replacing it changed something(like ride height,etc.).