Will I pick up with this swap ?

434nova

Car made 560 rwhp on 26#s and racegas , with a te45a turbo , front mount , 206 roller cam , 72# injectors , gn1 heads , trw forged pistons , stock crank , stock rods with bolts and 62 mm tb , 3 inch terry houston down pipe. . I am looking at a 6768 billet turbo and was wondering if I will pick up alot? I also made 420 rwhp on 18#s on pumpgas 93 octane. Will I notice a hp gain on pump gas also ? Or is this turbo only gonna shine on the higher boost levels ? How will the 6768 billet turbo work on the street , it is a journal bearing like my 45a but it has a .85 ar my te45a has a .63 ar. Right now I am running a 3200 art car non lockup converter and I can barely notice any lag how will this converter work with the 6768 ? Also I am looking to up the boost to 30#s and see what I can make with the 6768. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

On a good friends car we picked up 50+whp going from a 45a to a 70 HPQ with boost around 27psi. We actually went backward 2 degrees in timing also. The engines bsfc iimproved quite a bit too as it didnt use a lot more fuel to make the extra power. The car has trapped nearly 140mph since. Your current converter cant couple even the 45a properly if you run it out and wont couple the 6768 at 30psi. If you can get converter slip down to 6-7% out the back you will see about 100whp over the 45a. You will probably not see anything at 18psi. It will spool about 1/3 as fast as the 45a.

Hey bison is there anything you can do to the te45a to improve it ? The guy I bought my car from said it was a John Craig turbo. I think I said his name right ? Thanks

Hey bison is there anything you can do to the te45a to improve it ? The guy I bought my car from said it was a John Craig turbo. I think I said his name right ? Thanks

I could use a larger compressor but if it's an e cover the diffuser is too small to take advantage of larger compressors. Once you get to about 73lbs/min the 45a is done. That's about 135mph in the quarter.

So Bison what stall would you say I need with the 6768 turbo for me to be efficient. I am surprised that switching from 45a to the 6768 makes that much difference in lag and spooling. So basically the 6768 turbo on my car wont be street friendly ? Also Bison I pm you on the block dont know if you got it or not with the site having issues but let me know. Thanks again

So Bison what stall would you say I need with the 6768 turbo for me to be efficient. I am surprised that switching from 45a to the 6768 makes that much difference in lag and spooling. So basically the 6768 turbo on my car wont be street friendly ? Also Bison I pm you on the block dont know if you got it or not with the site having issues but let me know. Thanks again

The spool on the large 68mm turbines is a lot less than the p trim ex wheels especially when they are run with small ex housings. Pm me again.

The 6768 I am looking at has a .85 exhaust housing. I believe the 45a is a .63

Also what kind of mph is a 6768 turbo?

Also what kind of mph is a 6768 turbo?

With the large cover it will go 150+. Way more than most engines will handle. JW went 8.81@153 with a 6766. No one runs a 6768 turbo outside of Buick class racers.

Brian, why are Buick class racers the only ones using the 6768??
Because it's laggy and v8 racers use larger compressors/turbines in their turbos. Most don't need more than a 65mm turbine.

Just throwing this out there, do you want to make anymore power with the stock crank and rods?

This would be my ideal turbo, 6768 for my combo. I run across a guy the other day with a 331 dart sbf running a on3 67mm turbo. Guy made 666rwhp on 15psi. These china turbo budget builds are really impressing me.

Also why is the pte 67mm rated so much more than other brand turbo like turbonetics, bw, etc...?