Will non turbo specific blend high octane 114/116/118 make a big perf. difference?

gnx7

I ran some 114 octane in my car at the track with a 26* chip yesterday. It was non turbo specific 114 from Union 76 or Sunoco (can't remember).

Spool up was terrible..... and once I did get it to spool at the line after letting off the E-brake it would fall on its face with 6psi at the line! Car ran poorly all nite and wondering if fuel had something to do with it?

I've run ERC 116 before and the car ran like a madman. Wondering if partially why my car ran like crap due to poor quality fuel.

After the track I switched back to 91 octane (I live in CA), and 18* chip and the car ran strong again!

WTF is going on with my car.

HEEEEEELP?!?!

I'd like to hear others experience with different fuel please.

GNX7

If the pump you got the fuel from does not get much business it could have been bad fuel. The car should run like a raped ape on 114. 114 is 114, and it should support at least 24# of boost. All I can get here is 110 and I can run 23# with zero knock

I've never heard of "turbo-specific" fuel, so how can you have "non-turbo-specific" fuel? Octane is octane. Were you running alcohol injection? Too much octane can prevent combustion...
Keith

sounds like you were too rich on the race chip v/s the street chip

when i go from street chip to race chip mine gets rich so i have to back off on fuel.

114 shouldnt make it run bad i use regular vp 116 and works great

Octane's octane.

I went from 93 to 100 exclusively not long ago and had a chip burned to take advantage of the fuel and all I can say is..

HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

Mark,

If you could remeber who made the gas, sunoco or union76, I would check out their websites for the MON and RON octane ratings like Dean had mentioned at the track the other night.

P.S. I was the young guy talking about the Redding dragstrip with Dave R., I forgot to introduce myself to you and a few others.

Blackbuick,

Sure 114 is 114, but you can get the advertised rating of 114 octane many ways... you can have a high RON rating and a low MON, or a high MON or low RON, or something that is closer to being the same between the two

For example.
108-MON + 120-RON/2 = 114 octane
120-MON + 108-RON/2 = 114 octane
105-MON + 123-RON/2 = 114 octane
117-MON + 111-RON/2 = 114 octane

There are many other ways to achive the advertised rating of 114....But high performance engines, especially Forced induction engines should be looking for the highest MON they can get. If I had to choose between those four examples for a performance application I would go with # 2 or 4.

Just for anyone who might be confused with the MON and RON, MON is motor octane number, and RON is research octane number. Trying to clear things up not confuse people.:)

VP makes a 120 Octane fuel. At first it may sound terrific, but it is NOT. Their C-16 is a high flashpoint, fast burn formula whereas the 120 fuel is not. 100LL Avgas has a slower burn rate compared to even 94 pump gas as it is designed to burn slower at a lower temp for an aviation engine, and thus spools much slower than even pump gas in our cars. Regarding the label 'Turbo-Specific', I don't know, but a fuel that has a high flashpoint and fast burn rate is a very 'Turbo-Friendly' fuel, such as VP's C-16.
Jim

John- We've met a few times before and I knew it was you guys when Redding race track was in the conversation. Good meeting you again.

Thanks for the replies guys... maybe I was running super rich by EGT's thru the traps were 1600*

I'm tearing apart my fuel system as I think my problem partially is here.

I burned both the #2 and #4 plug wire boots which never happened with my other setup.
Good bye Magnecore $85 wires :(. 700 miles on these suckers.....

GNX7