Will the TV show "Muscle Car" ever do a GN...

FastB

I posted on Rick Bacon's wall on Facebook asking him if they will ever do a GN build on their show, it would be interesting to see what they could do to one. He's response was "We've suggested doing one several times and they (the powers that be) won't allow them to do a V-6."

I'm really suprised they don't consider a GN a worthy "Muscle Car" for their show...I realize that they've done G-bodies before but never a TR...I figured these cars had earned their place in muscle car history.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive on the subject...but my GN puts down more (or as much) power as a lot of their projects..and my V-6 is stock. :rolleyes:

I guess the GN will always be the "Rodney Dangerfield" of muscle cars. LOL!

It may have to do with sponsor dollars. Year One, Edelbrock, etc don't make anything selling GN parts, and I doubt any TR-specific vendors will (or can) pony up the very expensive advertising. Just to have a part featured costs tens of thousands of dollars.

Horsepower did a Buick 350, which I was very surprised to see. I think if any of those shows ever do a TR it will be HP. The reason why I say that is because they're the ones that usually bring in outside talent to guide the build. If musclecar was to do like a restomod TR, it would have to be rust free and have 90% of the specific parts. SOme parts are hard to find and people on this board got the price jacked so high, could you imagine what the bill would be on doing something like I have? THey can't sit around and wait for deals so unless some TR vendors came together to help I don't think it would ever happen. Then you got the people that would send in so much hate mail because they don't like what they do with it (paint, interior, part choices, vendor choices, etc.). Then the purists bitching because they do irreversible mods and the speed freaks complaining that it's not going to be powerful enough to represent the potential of the turbo 6. Most of the cars they do on these shows are clones and cars that have a big production count just for these reasons

They probably figure "who wants to see the build up on a 25 year old V6" and that featuring such woud bring the ratings down.

I don't think it's that. I love chevy's as much as buicks but I can only watch so many chevy engine build ups. Same reason why I don't subscribe to GMHTP anymore. So tired of seeing LSX. Why not do a turbo kit on a 3800 or a SC build up? The only time I watch any of the shows is when they do something different. I would like to see them do more olds/pontiac/buick builds. A SVO 4cyl turbocoupe or mustang would be cool. THey have lots of options on these shows, but always choose to go down the same road. It's a letdown on saturday but in a way it's expected because that's what's popular.

They won't do it because the LC2 would put all those V8s to shame as far as power goes. V8 owners everywhere would cry "blasphemy!!!!!!!!".

I really think there are a lot of haters out there that think V8's are the only way to make power...I just never thought a show like muscle car would put the TR in the same rankings as an import or something because it has two less cylinders.

I def agree that the horsepower guys would be more likely to get away with it...just seems like a really good idea to see just how much power can be made with these cars.

Muscle Car has done a segment on the Grand National, not a build or anything but it was a feature car once and was even on their "best muscle cars ever" show representing the 80's. So I think the show respects it just not enough viewers would follow along for 6 or 8 weeks for the build. That's why we like these cars because not everyone has one!

25,000 vehicles, 6 - 8 manufactures that are very specific and small most people who dont understand turbo charging

VS

a couple hundred thousand cars, more manufacturers large and small than you can count. People who understand and can work on the project being showed

Pretty easy to see why, it comes down to marketability and of course dollars and cents.

Besides keep them in the dark, after all when my V6 still whoops their V8 the look is still absolutely priceless.

You will probably never see a GN on there, but a non-black t-type is more likely. They record the shows in Franklin, TN and have a lot of local cars and businesses on the show. Back when they used to modify cars for locals, I had a friend get turned down for an episode with his camaro because it was black. They have some issue with filming black cars, or did in the past. They seem to do more in house owned projects now a days and not much for individuals.

I don't think they have anything against buicks or cars that are different. They built a 73 skylark, how much different can you get.