Window dew sweep/weatherstrip replacement

turbobuickman

How hard is it to replace the window dew sweeps (weather strip that rubs window as it moves up and down)? What's involved? My outter sweeps are cracked and doors fill with water in a hard rain.

turbobuickman said:
How hard is it to replace the window dew sweeps (weather strip that rubs window as it moves up and down)? What's involved? My outter sweeps are cracked and doors fill with water in a hard rain.

You have to take the windows out. Or take out the down stops and drop them as far down in the doors as you can. After that it's just 3 or 4 screws.

Windows have to come out? Crap! Mine are all cracked to hell with big chunks missing. Been that way since I bought it and keep putting it off, dealing with engine related stuff. Ive been driving in the rain alot and Im worried that Im starting to rust the inner door skins. I thought just the door panels had to come off. :mad:
By the way, you can find those seals on ebay all the time. I think they're called window strip seals or something...at least thats what they call them on ebay if I remember right.

I did it without taking out the windows. I removed the upper inner door panel. Then I removed the two felt bumpers that keep the window pushed out. This should allow you to move the window inwards a bit to free up some room between the window and the door sill. Put the window all the way down...obviously. There are 4 or 5 (whatever) little screws that hold it in place. A couple of them required one of those little right angle screw drivers to get at because the window didn't go down far enough to to have a straight shot at their head. Don't get me wrong, those 2 screws (I think there was only 2) that required the right angle screw driver were a PITA. Still better than removing the window though.

Paul...I ordered mine from GMPartsDirect. I believe the part numbers are 20674282 and 20674283. I paid $30 each when I bought them ~3 years ago.

Just did mine last weekend

I got mine on e-bay, they where in the GM wrap. Here are the steps to the job, just to let you all know that I bought my car new in 2-84 and never had the door panels off before.
#1) Take the two phillips screws out of the arm rest(standing up looking down at the handle)

#2) The handle/arm rest then slides off, I think that they both slide to the rear of car, mine were stuck, it takes a good tug.

#3) Remove the lock post, handle crank for the window.

#4) Remove 4 small screws from the rubber door seal these are at the top of the door, pull the seal back from the door just a bit, there is glue under them so be gentle.

#5) Gently pry the top door panel straight out starting at the rear of the door there are about 3 plastic fasteners at the front and the rear of door. I used a clean gasket scraper(about one inch wide flat blade) to word these fasteners loose, probably will break at least one, Advanced Auto has them. Then pull the top door panel straight up, watch the window crank shaft.

#6) Gently pull the insulation and paper backing off the door frame and lay down over the bottom half.

#7) Remove the 4 nuts from the bottom of the glass, you will need to raise and lower the window to get access to the nuts which are in the middle of the door. Don't make any adjustments yet to the window location, my windows didn't seal well untill I put the new parts on. These nuts are about one inch up from the bottom of the glass, be careful because now the window can fall.

#8) Remove the guide at the top of door this is toward the rear (two bolts) and remove the L shaped pc on the front of the window at the bottom there are two nuts on this, the window will not come out if this is attached.

#9) Gentle lift the window and allow the bottom of the window to kick out towards the outside of the car and the window is now in your hands.

#10) Now you can get to them four phillips screws that are holding what's left of your old seals on, gentle bry them off after taking the screws out. There are about 4 stamped raised "bridges" (not sure what else to call them) that wil be stuck to the seal, just pry the seal off of them.

#11) Gently push the bridges back to the original height, abouty 1/8", I just used a straight screw driver.

#12) Reverse the order, the first one took me about 3 hours, had know idea what I was doing, the second one took about 1 1/2.

Chuck

stickybones said:
I did it without taking out the windows. I removed the upper inner door panel. Then I removed the two felt bumpers that keep the window pushed out. This should allow you to move the window inwards a bit to free up some room between the window and the door sill. Put the window all the way down...obviously. There are 4 or 5 (whatever) little screws that hold it in place. A couple of them required one of those little right angle screw drivers to get at because the window didn't go down far enough to to have a straight shot at their head. Don't get me wrong, those 2 screws (I think there was only 2) that required the right angle screw driver were a PITA. Still better than removing the window though.

Paul...I ordered mine from GMPartsDirect. I believe the part numbers are 20674282 and 20674283. I paid $30 each when I bought them ~3 years ago.

Mine came from GMParts direct 2 days ago.... was like $88 for both LH and RH outer window weather strips shipped...... GM.... I'm in the process of getting my GN painted.... thought that was a good time to replace the cracked up stockers....

I did mine without removing the windows, either. Got one of those little right angle screwdrivers, like Stickybones said, and removed the felt stops. My driver's side window needed adjustment before I replaced the strips, but if it had not needed adjustment, I could have done the job without loosening any nuts/bolts except for the ones at the felt stops. I had the book by Pete Serio that explains how to do all the adjustments, and it has a section on replacing those seal strips.

Ormand, are the instructions Chuck just gave similar to the ones in the book you used? Any other tricks we should know of?

Thanks for all the input guys.

Can anyone confirm the gmpartsdirect parts numbers for both side black outter dew sweeps (20674282 and 20674283) before I order them?

Even though I just bought them..... I can't confirm yet if the nembers are correct... my car is at the painter.... and he is going to install them... I never looked in the boxes..... sorry.....

Do a search on those part numbers.

Those are the numbers on my receipt. Just not absolutely positive that that receipt is for those dew strips. I'm pretty sure, but not 100%.

I got these of the GNTTYPE part number page. If you search for GNTTYPE.org part numbers, the first item is the part number page on GNTTYPE. The web site is down, but if you click on Cached to view a copy of the page.

Window Strip - black bottom of window (RH) 20674283 .
Window Strip - black bottom of window (LH) 20674282

HTH
David
87GN

" I did it without taking out the windows. I removed the upper inner door panel. Then I removed the two felt bumpers that keep the window pushed out. This should allow you to move the window inwards a bit to free up some room between the window and the door sill. Put the window all the way down...obviously. There are 4 or 5 (whatever) little screws that hold it in place. A couple of them required one of those little right angle screw drivers to get at because the window didn't go down far enough to to have a straight shot at their head. Don't get me wrong, those 2 screws (I think there was only 2) that required the right angle screw driver were a PITA. Still better than removing the window though.

Paul...I ordered mine from GMPartsDirect. I believe the part numbers are 20674282 and 20674283. I paid $30 each when I bought them ~3 years ago."

So with Craftsman offset ratcheting screwdriver (9)4116 this was SOOOOO EASY, I would suggest this path as it took me 1 hour on the first window and 35 minutes on the second. New dew sweeps LOOK GOOD! :)