windshield cleaning

mark b

OK, here's one of the more lame/bizzare questions but I gotta ask.
My windshield has this "stain" that looks like waterspots that only appears when wet. It's to the point where I really can't see out the window when it's raining. I've tried cleaning it with all the usual window cleaners and amonia, but it's still there. I'm almost afraid it's actually the glass that is ruined, but any other cleaning ideas before I do something like replace the windshield? I thought of using one of those glass polishing kits.

i remember a post about this somewhere in here :rolleyes: cant remember but this is what they came up with...muratic acid,put on a rag with the use of rubber gloves and rub rub rub,real hard....i personally always use a hi speed buffer and some not to aggressive compound and it always comes off and looks great,and its not as dangerous as acid?remember to wax your windows everytime you wax your car,and they will stay away..if you use a buffer ,start with a real non aggressive compound and work your way up...if its too strong it can leave a nasty look on your windows when the sun hits it..but like you stated,id try to use the window polish they sell at window/mirror stores first..yesterday i actually had to buff out the spots off my jaguars windows again..ive been neglecting the car since i got my grand national...and they came right off,and once its done it makes the cleaning of the windows easier too....good luck ;)

There's a kit out there that is specifically for buffing windshields. It has a specific compound and buffing wheel. Do a search, I'm sure you'll find something on the net, or just run around to the local parts stores.

If worse comes to worse, think about a new windshield. I bought one a few years ago. They're not that expensive. I'd guess under $150. New is good! ;)